Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

'02 BE5 Blizten - ECU reflash @ Subaru dealership...

Shrunk

Hi All,

I took my blitzen into the Armstrong Subaru in Chch, and the service centre was able to download the software from my ECU, send to Japan then reload software more accurately configured for our fuel.

The car seems massively smoother, haven't heard any detonation as yet (it was BAD before this). I dont know if it's necessarily making any more power, but the power is not being sapped away by the ecu trying to compensate for the detonation.

This was an awesome bang for buck improvement, as the software + labour (including road test) came in at around $145 (can't guarantee it will be this cheap for you - road test duration can be impacted by traffic etc).

Will report back on any improvements to mileage - only had the work done on Tuesday.

Anyone else had this done?

its not just the temporary setting that retards the ignition by a few degree's is it? Ichiban used to mention that worked well but was reset if battery disconnected

sending a tune to japan sounds a bit...like...they want to make it sound complicated and worth hundreds of dollars

just my speculation

kamineko said:

its not just the temporary setting that retards the ignition by a few degree's is it? Ichiban used to mention that worked well but was reset if battery disconnected

sending a tune to japan sounds a bit...like...they want to make it sound complicated and worth hundreds of dollars

just my speculation

Yep typical BS they sprout down here

Hence why I get mine serviced at Autotech in Rangiora...

Anyway as you said mate Ichiban stated it a few times that they just hooked it up in the service bay then retarded the timing... Disconnect battery you loose the "tune"

To do the so called tune for our fuel all you do is clear any error codes, disconnect the battery for about 15min, then reconnect and drive around nicely...

Voila...

Save your money and do the above.

My GTB had pinging issues years ago (brought on by some engine & exhaust mods), this was fixed with a poked O2 sensor replacement, & knock sensor replacement plus some good ol' Upper engine cleaner...

Well I guess I cant really prove one way or another what was actually done when the vehicle disappeared into the mysterious service bay - but for $145 it came out the other side a completely different machine...

The 'sending it to japan, getting it updated then reloading their changes' part did sound a little dubious though, as there's obviously time zone differences etc to contend with. This was the same story I was given from Stu @ Stubaru when he suggested I give it a go - so if it's a big stretch of the truth, at least it's consistent.

Neil - maybe when you're in there try pry them for a little more specific info on what they're actually doing...my invoice from them simply states:

1hr subaru diagnostic

-road tested to 80km/h

-possible ignition timing / boost adjustment if pinking still happens

PAK file update

OK, so got the new pak file loaded on today. I did ask about the pricing after Shrunk got his done for $145 but got the expected BS about $60 for the pak file (wtf!!), 2hrs of labour etc etc. Total cost was $250 all up so not too bad.

It's a proper reflash of the ECU so nothing is lost if the battery is disconnected. The timing was adjusted by 2 degrees and it seems like it was enough to take out the annoying pink.

Shrunk is probably right in that it's not making any more power, but what power is there, is now accessible. Previously I'd have to ease off on the throttle when the ball bearing started rattling, but now she pulls good and hard all the way through with no sign of pinking. Nicer to drive and no doubt much better for the prolonged life of the engine. A dyno tune might have found some more power, but that's at least 5x the price of this option.

Chucked a can of upper engine cleaner through and now she's good to go.

• 8 years later...

Hey man sorry to bring up a thread from 8 years ago.

I rung my local Subaru dealership here in Nelson and they said they can get my ecu re flashed with updated software from Subaru in Japan and quoted me $150. Is that what they did to yours? 

Did it also help you get rid of the VOD?

Cheers in advance.