Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy BP5 / BL5 Tuning Reviews

Scotte

Hi all, would like to hear feedback from people who have had tunes done on their BP5 and BL5 Legacy's.

Would like to know:

Who you used?

How much it cost?

What was the process?

What was the result?

How have the cars characteristics changed?

Were you happy?

More fuel of less fuel?

Any other interesting info?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
 Scotte said:

Hi all, would like to hear feedback from people who have had tunes done on their BP5 and BL5 Legacy\'s.

Would like to know:

Who you used?

How much it cost?

What was the process?

What was the result?

How have the cars characteristics changed?

Were you happy?

More fuel of less fuel?

Any other interesting info?

Thanks.

Well ive done a few Bp legacys and WRX re flashes.

Used myself

cost me nothing

process is alot of logging data and then reflashing then logging then reflash etc.

throttle delay gone as is knock at high load, low rpm. far better to drive.

main reason i did it was for fuel economy, im now getting 9.8l/100km out of a ez30 driving to work and back from 11.5ish. so far better.

wouldnt look back ever

• Like 1

tweedo said:

You\'ve just done the whole tune yourself off your laptop like? Did you have any dyno time while doing it or no need?

The fuel economy side of it definitely sounds good did that come with a bit more power too or just smoother power?

Yes. Ive only been doing Romraider for a year or 2. Ive been tuning link ecu etc for 5 years ish. only ever put 5 or so cars ive tuned on the dyno.

power wise got a little bit more. romraider cars have never been on dyno as im after better drivability

Did you tune for 95/96 octane or keep at 98? For the same job you\'ve done on your car you\'d be expecting a thousand $ bill wouldn\'t ya?

Also I see you\'ve got the 3.0... would you expect to get a bit more benefit from a GT or similar?

Anyone whose got a GT would love to hear/see your results.

Well, the v7 sti is in about the same boat, and as an example i was averaging 350-400 km from a tank of 98 arround town. Post tune i\'m sitting at about 550 around town, and have got 600+ open road driving. With increased boost, more power and better response too. Same sort of results could be expected from the legacy imho, its basically the same engine

• Like 1

kwi_fozze said:

Well, the v7 sti is in about the same boat, and as an example i was averaging 350-400 km from a tank of 98 arround town. Post tune i\'m sitting at about 550 around town, and have got 600+ open road driving. With increased boost, more power and better response too. Same sort of results could be expected from the legacy imho, its basically the same engine

Shite thats a solid gain eh did you DIY or pay someone to do it and if so, how much did it cost you?

Are these all factory setups you guys are tuning or mildly modded?

Bit of both. I swapped ecus with one that already had a good tune on it, and i\'m now at the 43rd revision of that tune. Mods are: turbo back exhaust, under manifold pipe, afm to manifold pipe, snorkelectomy and EBC.

So, basic mods, and a decent tune, and i\'m pushing 200+ at the wheels, am yet to get it on the dyno

tweedo said:

Did you tune for 95/96 octane or keep at 98? For the same job you\'ve done on your car you\'d be expecting a thousand $ bill wouldn\'t ya?

Also I see you\'ve got the 3.0... would you expect to get a bit more benefit from a GT or similar?

without a dyno i wouldnt expect 1000 or close but maybe with full dyno maybe.

turbo have more power potential definitly .

I did find out today that my 3.0r is quite a bit quicker than a dead standard one so have more power through tuning

kwi_fozze said:

Bit of both. I swapped ecus with one that already had a good tune on it, and i\'m now at the 43rd revision of that tune. Mods are: turbo back exhaust, under manifold pipe, afm to manifold pipe, snorkelectomy and EBC.

So, basic mods, and a decent tune, and i\'m pushing 200+ at the wheels, am yet to get it on the dyno

Bit more modded than what I\'m planning and will prob ever do so I\'m thinking it may not be worth it for what I\'ve got?

I\'ve only got a subtech downpipe at this present point in time. Will just put in a decent air filter and that would prob be me done... Just prefer to keep my daily driver as factory as possible.

Dyno tune obviously not necessary then?

gotasuby']

[quote name='tweedo said:

/quote]

without a dyno i wouldnt expect 1000 or close but maybe with full dyno maybe.

turbo have more power potential definitly .

I did find out today that my 3.0r is quite a bit quicker than a dead standard one so have more power through tuning

Felt like i wasnt even moving, you really need to tune mine now that i have see what a difference yours is

tweedo']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

/quote]

Bit more modded than what I\'m planning and will prob ever do so I\'m thinking it may not be worth it for what I\'ve got?

I\'ve only got a subtech downpipe at this present point in time. Will just put in a decent air filter and that would prob be me done... Just prefer to keep my daily driver as factory as possible.

Dyno tune obviously not necessary then?

Down pipe and top mount are 2 mods that make the bp legacys really wake up along with a tune

I\'m only wanting to run a bar at most which is what its at at the moment... would the downpipe have increased the boost as I thought the twinscrolls were only meant to run 0.8 bar?

I\'m not wanting this to be an absolute weapon just after the economy and to smooth it out a bit hence the interest in tuning.

I\'ve had mine done by a tuner cryo from the States.

mine is a 2003 GT-B with TD04-HLA turbo (manual, auto\'s get a VF38 I think).

I\'ve had the subtech downpipe installed as well as a resonator to quieten down the rasp, you\'ll probably want to avoid an intake replacement, they don\'t make much difference unless you are upgrading to a better turbo, but if you do, you will definitely have to retune, as it will mess with your AFR\'s.

I would wholly recommend cryo, it cost me $150 US for the tune, mine was the first of these cars he tuned but i\'m very happy with the results, I only asked for a mild tune, it hits about 1.25bar, but the real improvement is in drivability.

There is a dramatic increase in power before the boost comes on, and the power delivery when boost does come on is much smoother than stock. After 5k rpm the car doesn\'t run out of puff like it does stock and will happily pull till 7k+.

It took me 8 revisions to get to where I am, and I took mine to the track in order to do my logging, Ruapuna here in CHCH has test days twice a week which only cost $20 for 30min sessions. Meant I could legally (and safely, no cars coming the other way) do a full 3rd gear pull from 2k rpm up till redline.

So I say if you\'re happy with putting in a bit of work you can get the tuning done at relatively low cost.

website is here: http://www.cryotuneperformance.com

The other option is looking into the tuners in Aus, one of my workmates is getting his 3.0 specB done at the moment, and they have much more experience with the twin scroll legacies so you\'ll probably get quicker results.

Did you notice much better economy with it as well? $150 seems pretty good or do they charge more each time you get a revision done? And do these twinscrolls handle 1.25bar daily? That def sounds like a good option though. I\'m not wanting to do too much myself just incase something goes wrong but if its just a lot of logging data and reflashing I suppose it can\'t go too wrong can it? Haha