Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RaceChrono - Lap Timing

funkytown

So just looking at the laptimes thread and seeing RaceChrono app for nokia and windows phones, then went looking for racechrono for Android. It doesnt exist (yet) but is due for release some time.

* does anyone have further detailed information about its release for android / iphone?

* What do android/ iphone users have for choice in the laptimer app space?

Chur

• General Member

what was the one I saw on targa vids linking G-forces to track maps...

similar/same?

edit found vid/details : different!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4TWPGJ-yCA

It's a QSTARZ BT1000EX datalogger I use on my son's race kart, (the red thing on the dashboard) and the software is Dashware that give a nice interface to sync with video and create quages. Cheers Alex.

funkytown said:

have you used Chris?

/have just stumbled across trackmaster now - reading

Yes I have ! By combining my flash HD camera and this trackmaster, I am expecting to make beautiful Formula 1 type you tube videos. I have another program to do that. (Racelogic - Circuit tools)

Nah, actually. I really like it. My phone is a pile of s***, but the only reason I got it is because it had good GPS, to use with Trackmaster.

Now, you have to spend time setting it up, which I have never found time to do at Manfield. But it does work driving around the block.

I have Harry's LapTimer Pro. Not so cheap $23 NZD I think. You could use it as a camera video device and will show Gs, speed, corner speed, top speed and lots of things.

Pretty great app and you could load all NZ track maps from the app as already in the database.

GC8E2DD said:

If you have a gumby phone do you need to get some kind of external GPS device to make it of any use? What kind of phone are you running it on?

Well you can get bluetooth GPS units ! I'm running on some LG GT540. God it's such a rubbish phone.

B4 2000 said:

I have Harry's LapTimer Pro. Not so cheap $23 NZD I think. You could use it as a camera video device and will show Gs, speed, corner speed, top speed and lots of things.

Pretty great app and you could load all NZ track maps from the app as already in the database.

I looked at Harry's also. The one I got was $50 I think. I'm trying to remember why I didn't get Harry's, and off the top of my head I think it was because its output file didn't integrate properly into the videos.

B4 2000 said:

This.

The guy's published TWO updates to it since I bought it for Ruapuna the other week, lol. It's win. Not the most user friendly to set up but once it's setup you just put it down and forget about it and it does everything automatically with no input required.

Plug you can plug it into your ODBII port and integrate data from your ecu into the data it's already collecting.

Pretty swish!

caspros']

[quote name='GC8E2DD said:

If you have a gumby phone do you need to get some kind of external GPS device to make it of any use? What kind of phone are you running it on?

/quote]

Well you can get bluetooth GPS units ! I'm running on some LG GT540. God it's such a rubbish phone.

Ok cool. Just found these links which are good info

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/forums/-/message_boards/message/43483

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/forums/-/message_boards/message/43468

Trackmaster

Allows you to set your own tracks into it using Google Earth. Haven't actually tested it yet other than playing with a couple of 'tracks' around home. Seems to work alright, but tbh still learning about how to use. Looks like once understood it will be OK to use.

Set up to use at Ruapuna then left home with phone on roof of car and drove off dropping my phone. :o *facepalm* Got my phone back but after Ruapuna so still no test in real life. Not sure if the GPS in the phone is fast enough to keep up and quality of video. Trying to find a phone holder that doesn't jiggle around it a pain to. Using Samsung Galaxy S (the first gen).

racechrono si awesome, pity no android support, i have an old windows mobile 2003 phone i keep soley for datalogging. Exports to google earth too. I use it with a 5hz bluetooth gps receiver as the 1hz ones in most phones is poos.

Video of my old toyota trueno.:

Google earth exports. (terrible apexing is the result of the gps inacuracies, not my driving I swear!)

527407_534547567408_217700397_635230_214

468562_534547537468_217700397_635229_123

Export data to Circuit tools.

461543_534546968608_217700397_635226_163

Might have to give trackmaster a go, but then racechrono is amazing for free software.

Ahh, I found a couple of files that were from Megameet last year ! This is one one of the reccy runs at the start I think.

One is the excel file, the other is the google earth thing. Maybe look at these, and see if you can manipulate it as you want to.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5191367/Apr1520111144AM20120503_191424.kmz

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5191367/Apr1520111144AM20120503_191437.xls

Ive been using racechrono for a long time... It doesnt really matter (imo) what system you use, it will only be as good as the GPS receiver you get your data with. I recommend the qstarz 10Hz one mentioned earlier.

I have a crappy old windows mobile touchscreen phone i got off trademe for $10. Records the data, has bluetooth to connect with the GPS, displays laptimes, analyses data, that's it.

Once you've recorded your GPS data you can usually import it into any of the programs mentioned for data analysis. Performancebox, trackmaster, whatever. Racechrono even outputs data in a format directly readable for a few different programs to make it even easier.

A quality GPS is the only real cost factor, and it's only $100 anyway.

Here's a vid I made in a friends car. Racechrono video overlay data starts about 2 mins in.