Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Whats the best bang for buck mods

Just wondering what the best bang for buck mods are as far as handling, aswell as mods for some extra HP. Currently my car has apexi intake and siemese pipe (which i dont actually know what it is haha ???) old school hks bov, and i think it maybe slightly lowered, all mods were done in Japan before car was imported.

Also my car is a V2 sti ra

Would possibly running a link make much of a difference over the standard ecu considering my minor mods? Also upgrading the intercooler, are there any bolt in intecoolers that are any better? I want to keep it top mount and try to retain the factory intercooler sprayers.

Yeah it does have plenty of power already, for me anyway. Just wondering if a link would make it run much better such as fuel economy maybe a bit more power, or are the standard ecus pritty good from factory?

Just googled the anti lift mod looks like a good idea. What brands do you guys prefer? Anyone using the whiteline swaybars?

Cheers for all the ideas, id like to do a few track days as well, so im liking the sound of sway bars and the anti lift kit, might look at upgrading the brakes to 4 and 2pots, do you need to upgrade the booster when you do this? Il be upgrading tyres aswell, still tossing up weather i go to 17s or stick with the 16s, tyres im looking at bridgestone re002s i think they are. Than if money allows a 3" cat back exhaust and a Link to make sure its running its best.

Also im guessing a baffled sump would be a good idea while im at it? Just to help with reliability on the track

I havnt actually played with the dccd yet, i always just have it wound back so i think that is 75% rwd? I found with my old type r if i drove it on with it anything other than wound back it would bind up on me around town, What would be the best point to have it for 'grip' driving i.e a nice windy road or the track?

hate-evoz']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

Don't go for a pod filter... Standard air box is good / better with a decent panel filter...

/quote]

its already got a pod, and intake pipe, black box thingy has been removed...

Get front and rear strut braces for it too , v3/4 sti top mount will be good even a v7 sti one

Will the later version top mounts bolt on without much hassle? Might have to steal the missus top mount (v3 sti) wonder if she will notice lol

Yeah after taking it for a drive today, i dont think i would need much more power, you cant even use all the power its got now around the twisty roads, so any more would be pointless. And im not to keen on going to the drags so huge power isnt important to me, more so reliability which is why i was thinking a link may be a good option to make sure its running the best it can.

Reliability in my opinion has got a lot to do with how you drive it & keeping it meticulously maintained.

you usually get what you pay for so spend good money on quality parts :)

Sounds like it has had the mods to let it breath a bit better, if you do go to a link add some yellow injectors upgrade the fuel pump,filters, add a wideband afr system

& like most have stated handling performance :)

hate-evoz']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

Don't go for a pod filter... Standard air box is good / better with a decent panel filter...

/quote]

its already got a pod, and intake pipe, black box thingy has been removed...

Get front and rear strut braces for it too , v3/4 sti top mount will be good even a v7 sti one

Will the later version top mounts bolt on without much hassle? Might have to steal the missus top mount (v3 sti) wonder if she will notice lol

Yea man V3 sti one will fit easy, just tell the mrs your intercooler's an upgrade HAHA... say the bent shape of your intercooler works well with aerodynamics! LOL

As for DCCD i wouldnt have a clue sorry, have only had just STI's and WRX's, not rich enough for the "STI RA's" haha

err, v3/v4 intercooler wont fit his v2 easy. and v7 is out of the question for easy mods

metal front rear strut braces are a good addition, the carbon one on the v2 sti does flex a bit. look for an underbody K brace.

also, generally you will drive around town with the dccd open to save mechanical stress. its not RWD. check the dccd thread for tech info on that.

you have to be careful with the exhaust mods on these cars. let them breath too easy and they overboost and cut-out

personally if i had just bought my v2 sti ra again, the first thing i'd do would be to install fresh suspension and related bushes. doesn't sound as cool as a chip but it translates to real world performance as after 17 years they are pretty stuffed :)

kamineko said:

you have to be careful with the exhaust mods on these cars. let them breath too easy and they overboost and cut-out

personally if i had just bought my v2 sti ra again, the first thing i'd do would be to install fresh suspension and related bushes. doesn't sound as cool as a chip but it translates to real world performance as after 17 years they are pretty stuffed :)

Yeah ive herd that so if i was going to do a full exhaust il make sure i get it checked out on a dyno at the same time.

Also will be a good idea with the bushes, when i do the sway bars ect il upgrade all the bushes while im at it aswell

hate-evoz said:

eer, ive seen heaps of v2s with v3.4 intercoolers, it is posible and doesnt need that much work, of course it wont sit flush and sit slighty cricked but at least it will fit.. You make it sound like its impossible to put it on haha

Example, V2 manifold with v3/v4 intercooler:

wrxmotor.jpg

sure you can force it to fit, but that way is just nasty! note the strut bar wont fit, the i/c probably bangs against the firewall and it will be even harder to line up with the bonnet scoop. not sure if the throttle-body has had to be trimmed there

ideally you require a v3/4 intake manifold - my point was ease of install, not wither its possible or not :)

AdamOst said:

To jump on the thread instead do making a ne one, wheres the best place to get whiteline gear? Or is that ultraracing stuff any good?

I can sort you out for whiteline...ultraracing is club sponsor pro wholesale.

My phones bothered so pm me.

If you really want to find the best mods to do to the car, go out and drive it properly. Do some autocrosses and then if you are feeling brave - a track day. You will quickly work out which parts of the car you want to improve, then look for mods to fix them. What different people do to cars depends on what they find lacking in the car, and not everyone has the same opinion.

You may well find a V2 being a light wee thing and with DCCD it is taily enough without big swaybars for example. And you can go suprisingly fast with stock suspension. Brake pads and fluid is really the first thing so you can at least stop, along with a good service and get it thoroughly checked over including a dyno run, to make sure its running well and AFRs are healthy.

What I am getting at is there is no replacement for seat time, a million killowatts or fancy suspension isn't going to teach you how to drive the car well...

If your getting the 4/2 pots Then best get some braided brakelines. $200.

Run decent pads and fluid.. endless offer both talk to Richard at pro sport. Wont need a bigger master.

Fuel pump is diffenatly worth the changing if this hasn't been done. I use the 400lph walbro and noticed power gains and better throttle response when i changed out the new metal geared gss341 as well as no humming noise. If anyone is interested in getting one of theses fuel pumps please let me know i will be doing a bulk buy of them and will be priced at $220 so i need numbers!.. pm me if interested guys..

Cheers