Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Which part of headers causes rumble?

I've put some headers that I bought from Redline onto my 1996 v2 GF8 WRX and despite what the bloody bastards said, I've lost the rumble :(

What I want to know is, which part of the headers causes the rumble? Is it the flexy bend in the up pipe or the bent pipes bolted onto the engine?

I'm trying to find a way to keep the quicker spool while getting the rumble back.

Here's a pic of my engine after the heads were done before it was put back in:

20120413165755.jpg

Simple. Stick with stock headers. The unequal length of the headers before the collector causes the rumble. The more equal length they are less rumble. Yours looks pretty equal to me

Edit. I had semi tuned headers on my Rex. Still had a good rumble but it sounded unique

hate-evoz said:

but then you will only have a a/m up pipe and the rest of the system will be stock. It wouldnt matter with spool anyway . wat counts is the exhaust size from turbo back. imo

which is 3" all the way 8)

I thought better headers caused turbos to spool sooner?

insanity007 said:

Ok great.

That's what I thought. If I can combine the new bigger up pipe with the stock headers then I should be able to get quicker spool shouldn't I?

Incorrect. The bigger the pipe the longer the spool time.Removing the restrictions and keeping the factory size is the best for spool.

Good power can be made on stock headers not sure whether tuned make a lot of difference or not hopefully scottspeed pops in on this thread he knows these things.

the bigger up pipe will make it worse for spool as evowrx said.everyone seems to have different experiences with headers,my a/m unequal length made it worse for spool,i think the general consensus is usually equal=better performance,unequal=sounds pretty and you generally get what you pay for (as with everything i suppose).factory is best if youre only after spool

Fastfour said:

Ive got some single scroll factory headers sitting in my shed if you wanted them, cheap cheap ;) make an offer

I have factory headers and put them back on... still working out some issues with the new turbo but getting there!!

Have you done anything to yours?