Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Smoking Turbo

NGHTY

Hi all,

Just got back from a quick drive, went to park and noticed white smoke coming from my scoop. I took a look and noticed it was smoking from around the turbo, it smelt like oil. I have noticed an oil smell recently, but didn't take to much notice as car has had a recent service and thought it would have been any spilt oil burning off.

Im fairly new to Subaru's, so can someone please give me some direction as to where i should look/start first? I take it will be process of elimination?

I could pay someone to look at it, but id rather learn something and sort it myself!

check the rocker cover gasket on the drivers side up above the uppipe.

Its a REAL pain to see with the factory heat covers on, but they leak and drip oil on the hot exahust making white smoke. You could have a leaky oil return or feed but thats usually not the culprit.

NGHTY said:

Worth calling them and asking? Or returning it there for them to look at?

There was no mention of it on the invoice.

Absolutely unless you just said change the oil and filter like some people do. A service is normally a check of most things and the gasket is only 300mm away from the filter and its also a very common problem.

Most shops are trying to make work for themselves at the moment too... :)

It went in for a full service. I don't have the invoice with me at the moment, but you would think a full service would mean they would check other things as well as changing oil and filter! They oiled my door hinges (weird and annoying, as I now get 4 oily marks running down my side skirts) will see what happens on the hoist.

;) told you, its the rocker cover. make sure they use genuine gasket and genuine (PLEASE PLEASE get genuine ones, otherwise they leak again straight away) the 6 copper ring washers, and the two kidney gaskets in the middle (round spark plugs).

$200 including genuine replacement bits is real cheap. Its a SHIT of a job

I hope the reseal the half moon pieces too for that price! Definitely should be genuine gaskets. Or as mentioned they will leak again very quickly! >:(

Sometimes its those half moon bits leak more than the gaskets. Esp the plastic ones and more in particular the one directly above the up pipe (exhaust cam) on the drivers side. (gets fairly warm!)

replacing them with ali ones off earlier GT motors works well. :)

On the opposite end of the heads to the pulleys there are 1/2 moon inserts,they are sealed in place with sealant.Later model engines have ones made of plastic. Early model legacys had aluminium ones. Use the ali ones in preference to the plastic, they do not deform and then leak like the plastic ones can do.

Always re seal these when replacing rocker gaskets.