Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V8 Wrx Sti

Ben

Hi guys,

Planning on spending my hard earned pennies on a WRX in a couple months time. Heart seems to be set on a Version 8 WRX STI. Even though not knowing much about them, it seems the best option as i will be keeping the car for a feew years down the track till i get out of uni etc. The V7's are getting too old now for this reason.

Really just wanting to know;

Is this a good/ reliable model

What kind of $$ figure would i be expecting to pay for a bog standard one?

Any info would be appreciated really, totally new to a wrx or a subaru turbo infact - currently own a '03 Forester n/a

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest STiEVO

great cars even though they dont have the subby sound . take your time and be very fussy. trademe is a good place to start to look for price . i paid 26 k in sept last year when the dollar was strong ,it had 32000km on the clock. there is a v8 sti in the sth island for over 30k with 100000 km on so be weary . i would expect to pay about between 23 to 28 depending on km and condition. although you may also find a v9 around the late 20s . i would keep an eye out for a v9 over a v8 after what i have read here on the forums. or buy the yellow type r in the for sale section and spend 5-6 k on a rebuild.good luck

v7 - purely coz of the sound ;D

although the v9 would be the one to go for if u ok with getting the silly non-suby sound

(hahah im biased as personally the sound is way more important or i would have gotten a evo7...)

Guest STiEVO

haha this always happens . seeing as we are starying away from v8 i reckon why not buy an evo 7/8 instead . it will still have that v8/v9 sound haha :P

From what you guys are saying, seems the V7 over rules the V8 purely for the rumble. Im not too fussed about losing that, mainly because the upgraded interior appeals more to me. The V7 isnt too old yet, but im planning on keeping the car for the next 3-5 years and when that time comes 00-02 is going to sound fairly old IMO.

Guess it just comes down to personal preference. I like the V8, and am still straying towards one. V9 is too far out of my price range (although so is the V8, unless the kms are high) and insurance quota - im only just reaching 19!

I was looking at something like this earlier in the week ; http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-168218980.htm

Valkyrie said:

get a V7 Spec C. Have seen from Best Motoring V7, V8 Spec C and Evo 7 RS in the same track and the V7 Spec C was the best. I don't think V7 is too old yet. It will be still a good machine in track.

doesnt sound like he wants a track machine tbh, stick with it & find a mint v8

ive heard there motors are more reilable than early models?

from what i have read on the motors, the v7 seems to have the better pistons and they have the valve in the inlet manifold etc..

anyway, the u can always put on a v8 front cut on it..had a mate who was selling his fronf for like 1300 of so ..not too expensixe i suppose

pl0x said:

yea the sti aren't semi-forged from v8 are they? but the v8 have the avcs where as the v7 dont?

v8 front cut as in motor? or panels bonnet etc?

the v7 sti has avcs bro...

the front cut will be like bumpers and lites and fenders and bonnet i suppose

basically all the things to facelift the v7 to v8

Guest STiEVO
 pappu said:

from what i have read on the motors, the v7 seems to have the better pistons and they have the valve in the inlet manifold etc..

anyway, the u can always put on a v8 front cut on it..had a mate who was selling his fronf for like 1300 of so ..not too expensixe i suppose

dont forget artik run a beb after travelling 1000km on a BRAND NEW V7 block.

pl0x']

[quote name='Valkyrie said:

get a V7 Spec C. Have seen from Best Motoring V7, V8 Spec C and Evo 7 RS in the same track and the V7 Spec C was the best. I don't think V7 is too old yet. It will be still a good machine in track.

/quote]

doesnt sound like he wants a track machine tbh, stick with it & find a mint v8

ive heard there motors are more reilable than early models?

Yeah not really after the car to throw round the track, although i would attend a few track days with the Club im sure.

I got my version 8 sti last april for 23k with 70,000km its doing fine now best thing to do is go for a drive in all three and then it may help you decide as well ver 7, 8, 9. I also jumped to the wrx from a 98 forester turbo and it was a big step up in handling and power being sti too having all the extras you wont get in a n/a unless you upgrade it of course but it will never be a sti. I am happy with it and thats the main thing you have to be happy with where you are gana put your hard earned cash. My 10c

V7 Spec C is perfectly fine for day to day living.

In my mind, these are the major differences you need to prioritise:

1) Exterior styling. V9 > V8 > V7 projector > V7 non-projector. V9 has blob eye upgrade, rear arch flares, better hubs with nice forged BBS wheels. V8 just has blob eye front and rear upgrade. V7 with the black backed projector lamps looks much better than the early V7, especially with the carbon fibre side marker replacements.

2) Interior styling. V9 > V8 > V7. The V8 interior is just as rubbish as the V7, except the steering wheel is smaller. But it still looks awful. Not to say that the V9 is a shining beacon of interior design either, it's just less awful than the other two.

3) Power vs noise. V9/V8 > V7. V9/8 have faster spool and more power due to twin scroll plus uprated cams. But twin scroll kills your boxer rumble. It makes a few hundred RPM difference, but unless you're chasing dyno numbers then a V7 makes plenty anyway, more then enough to keep the butt dyno happy.

4) Handling. Any Spec C > V9 > V7/8. Spec Cs will be lightweight, faster steering rack, more front castor. V9 is heavier and no fast rack, but has the Spec C front suspension geometry and additional yaw sensors.

5) Price. A stock V7 + mods will spank a stock V8 for the same money. Likewise for the price difference between a modded V8 vs stock V9. But the V9 will hold its value better.

My opinoin: If you're after a stock car and you have money, buy a V8 Spec C or a V9. If you want bang for buck, buy a V7 Spec C and pile on the mods.

Many thanks for the imput, especially to simon. Leaves me something to consider when choosing a model.

Also to a previous post about test driving, unless i travel 400kms up the road to Chch im not going to have much luck down in dunedin. All i can find is a '04 WRX hatch at Gilmours - an aweful one at that.

the hazards of living in the wop wops.

if you are gonna go to chch to buy a car why not go to Akl and ferry it down? Wider selection up there and cheaper.

[quote name='Rossmnz said:

the hazards of living in the wop wops.

if you are gonna go to chch to buy a car why not go to Akl and ferry it down? Wider selection up there and cheaper.

Oh no i meant if i was to test drive a v7-v9 wrx the closest location would be Chch. But yes most of the WRX's are located in Auckland - wouldnt mind flying up / driving down. Previously lived in Auckland for 5 years also so have friends who would help me out once i arrive.

i got my v8 just under 2 years ago and i dont plan on selling it as i really like it

all i can say is if your like me and want it as a good everyday driver i would go the ver8 as i find the ver9's seem to be selling for a lot more than a ver8 and unless your driving it to the limit you not going to notice the difference

as for looks well im not keen on the bug eye look myself (ver7) and with only a tru sti fan able to notice the body difference between the ver8 and ver9! (which as i can tell is only the std wheels and the extra bit over the rear wheel arches) other than that i cant tell the difference!

oh and as for the interior the center console and door cards in the ver8 is the same as the ver7 with the dash and seat patern in the ver8 the same as the ver9 if that makes any sense

so i guess it depens on what you plan to use it for to get one for

pure driving, handling and looks = ver9

price and unique styling = ver7

and to me best option for price, looks and day to day driving with a track day or 2 = ver8

factory power all very similar (go like the clappers)

hope this helps

Guest STiEVO
 djr03 said:

i got my v8 just under 2 years ago and i dont plan on selling it as i really like it

all i can say is if your like me and want it as a good everyday driver i would go the ver8 as i find the ver9's seem to be selling for a lot more than a ver8 and unless your driving it to the limit you not going to notice the difference

as for looks well im not keen on the bug eye look myself (ver7) and with only a tru sti fan able to notice the body difference between the ver8 and ver9! (which as i can tell is only the std wheels and the extra bit over the rear wheel arches) other than that i cant tell the difference!

oh and as for the interior the center console and door cards in the ver8 is the same as the ver7 with the dash and seat patern in the ver8 the same as the ver9 if that makes any sense

so i guess it depens on what you plan to use it for to get one for

pure driving, handling and looks = ver9

price and unique styling = ver7

and to me best option for price, looks and day to day driving with a track day or 2 = ver8

factory power all very similar (go like the clappers)

hope this helps

well put

Simon C said:

V7 Spec C is perfectly fine for day to day living.

In my mind, these are the major differences you need to prioritise:

1) Exterior styling. V9 > V8 > V7 projector > V7 non-projector. V9 has blob eye upgrade, rear arch flares, better hubs with nice forged BBS wheels.

The standard v9 and v10 wheels were Enkeis, which bore a superficial similarity to the forged BBS wheels.

The BBS were optional for v10 STi, possibly v9 too.

Enkei

2dc662cb.jpg

BBS

6c4f370f.jpg