Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cert for EBC

xsvpwr

I imagine it would be like a green sticker. If the cop thinks its dodge he stickers it and its up to vtnz to prove your innocence. So if he thinks hell this is fast for what it is you could get owned. Not starting a cop flaming thread either...

would be interested to see how some would react to this ruling - if a driveshaft or 1/2 shaft shat itself and ripped you or someone apart

As far as i am aware there is no limit on power increase - it just has to be safe (driveshaft hoops etc)

so long as the car passes a cert brake test, what other items besides driveshaft hoops would be needed

Yes EBC can be hidden, and no an inspector cant no pull your car apart its a visual inspection only

havent checked the % on LTSA but 20% increase would put all 205kw(flywheel) rated cars (roughly 170 at wheels), would need cert above 204Kw (wheel) approx

correct?

• General Member

No but as with all issues of contention like that its probably on you to prove it isnt.

This is one of the reasons I want to stay VF turbo in stock position with a stock positiion G4. If I can make around 200 kwatw just look like a WRX with fart cannon to WOF inspectors I will be happy.

The winner also said that my wheels were a fail because the centre of them didn't fit snugly on the centre of my hubs and the rotational force of the wheel could cause a wheel nut to shear off and the wheel to disintegrate because the only thing holding the wheels on was the wheel nuts. The LVV inspector quickly put this myth to bed as it clearly states tapered wheel nuts are suitable for securing wheels to the hub so long as it is centred.

I want to punch this bother in the face I don't know how I managed to remain so calm. Going to a proper work shop this weekend to get a wof

xsvpwr said:

The winner also said that my wheels were a fail because the centre of them didn't fit snugly on the centre of my hubs and the rotational force of the wheel could cause a wheel nut to shear off and the wheel to disintegrate because the only thing holding the wheels on was the wheel nuts. The LVV inspector quickly put this myth to bed as it clearly states tapered wheel nuts are suitable for securing wheels to the hub so long as it is centred.

I want to punch this bother in the face I don't know how I managed to remain so calm. Going to a proper work shop this weekend to get a wof

That sentence still states that your wheels need to be hubcentrically located. Not having your wheel located by a spigot in the centre is a good way to shear off studs.

But the LVV manual states that tapered wheel nuts may be used to centrally locate the wheel on the hub so why is the law contradicting itself?

I guess the issue I have is that this car has been for 6 warrants in NZ and never had this issue raised.

Lvv VS Virm then I guess, Police,wof guys all work on VIRM,if you have a CERT on your car and the rims are listed THEN the wheel nuts ONLY holding the rims on would be okish, Dont see how it is safe though I WOULD NOT DO IT

• Admin
 Eight dollar said:

would be interested to see how some would react to this ruling - if a driveshaft or 1/2 shaft shat itself and ripped you or someone apart

As far as i am aware there is no limit on power increase - it just has to be safe (driveshaft hoops etc)

so long as the car passes a cert brake test, what other items besides driveshaft hoops would be needed

Yes EBC can be hidden, and no an inspector cant no pull your car apart its a visual inspection only

havent checked the % on LTSA but 20% increase would put all 205kw(flywheel) rated cars (roughly 170 at wheels), would need cert above 204Kw (wheel) approx

correct?

Both of my vehicles are certed for >20% engine power increase and neither of them required hoops, although I may have sneaked through before it became a concrete rule. I think the certifier can show some discretion... for example taking my Surf from 120hp to 190hp didn't cause any issues, as the driveshaft is probably good for 500hp without batting an eyelid.

boon']

[quote name='Eight dollar said:

correct?

/quote]

Both of my vehicles are certed for >20% engine power increase and neither of them required hoops, although I may have sneaked through before it became a concrete rule. I think the certifier can show some discretion... for example taking my Surf from 120hp to 190hp didn't cause any issues, as the driveshaft is probably good for 500hp without batting an eyelid.

Famous last words....

yeah ya prob right about what your driveshaft could handle

fact is that LTSA have made the decision for vehicles requiring LV cert , the 20% tolerance etc etc

whatever we think is ok, isnt always legal

kwi_fozze said:

Manual conversions are supposed to have driveshaft hoops put in, even if its a direct swap.

realistically u dont need a cert for manual conversion

quote from LVVTA

You can do a gearbox conversion without a LVV Cert if:

* the OE gearbox cross-member has not been heated, cut, or welded; and

* the OE gearbox cross-member mounting to the OE body or chassis members is unchanged; and

* no replacement gearbox cross-member is used; and

* the OE drive-shaft(s) is un-modified; and

* no substantial modifications have occurred to the floor or gearbox tunnel area, other than provision for gear-shift mechanism.