Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need help

4Palta

Hi guys, how's going??

Well, I'm looking to buy something around $12,000 (no more) with finance and looking to find something fresh imported. I found 2 nice options that the finance is ok, just need to think more if I want to take it and which one.

One its a Subaru Legacy 2005 B-Sport with 142.000kms (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=500464792 ) and the other one its a Lancaster 2001 2.5 MT with 103.000kms... ( http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=499658973 )both are in great conditions, the Lancaster has hi and lo ratio and the B-Sport all the features of the B-Sport but doesn't come with the spoilers (not sure how to call it) that I have seen in many B-Sport.

I know both are different cars, with different propose but which one you can suggest?? Which one its easier also to sell if I need to do it or I want, and don't loose too much money? Which one give more for the money?

I like go to some "off road" places, and I see the B-Sport a bit low, but is not something that I'll do everyday any way. Considering KMS the Lancaster is the best and also for the year, the B-Sport I think has the normal for the year but I don't know too much about the engine that this one has. I'd prefer the 2.0R because I know has more HP and torque and some people told me the 2.0i its to heavy the car for that engine and its not cheap on petrol for the same reason.

I'd like to hear comments, opinion, suggestion that could help me to make a better decision.

Cheers ;D

Lancaster because, its a manual and just had a cam belt so you're not up for $1000 + to replace one for another 97k , higher ground clearance but not quite as sharp round corners like a B sport. lm biased coz l have one :) l'm quite happy with mine. The Lancaster would be cheaper to run coz of manual transmisiion , my out back manual does 30 - 33 mpg {8.8 - 9l / 100km} open road, and short running town / city 11l /100 km {25 mpg}

you're probably paying a premium for a manual because there aren't many now but its worth it.

Thanks for comments. Both has near new cambelt. The 05 was done at 13x.000kms... but what doesn't convince me its the engine, its the 2.0i (140 hp) and I think that its not enough for that car, or I'm wrong?

But i'm pretty sure that I'll go for the Lancaster... what do you think about both prices?

Cheers.

the lancaster is more of a rough and ready car that you can take to go offroading because it has higher ground clearance and hi lo ratio. the b sport is more of a practical family car to use in town or road trips. you will probably find the car is too nice to be doing offroading. the b sport doesn't have the bilstein suspension, only the spec b does. so if u want a practical nice looking family car get the b sport, if u want to a practical offroading family car, get the lancaster or an outback?? lol . if you want a bit more go in ur car, you could try getting the 3L H6 model legacy. hope this helps.

The lancaster is 123kw 165hp matched to a manual transmission so it would be better; you're paying a premium for it because its manual. l had to for my Outback and quite happy l did. The larger 2.5 engine doesn't develop that much more power but it has more torque + manual, so don't have to rev it as much . I don't have to go above 3000rpm in mine in most cases unless I'm passing. so it will use less / no more fuel.

the B sport is the next (4th) generation, so its a newer model and lower to the ground so will be better at fast cornering, plus a 5spd tiptronic auto. Whats against it is its lack of ground clearace, smaller 2.0i engine? + automatic transmission. Its more of a town / city car. if it does have 2.0R engine, it will be similar to 2.5 power wise.

The lancaster / outback in this case is basically the same car based on a legacy wagon 3rd generation platform but with a larger engine ie 2.5 + manual hi lo transmission and more ground clearace. they are more robust but not rough and ready, the basic models come well specked and are comfortable with 16" alloy wheels, cruise control,fog lights, climate control, key less entry, air bags,abs, etc etc. The top spec models have vdc traction control leather seats, 3.0 H6 engine etc etc

hope this answers some questions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy_%28fourth_generation%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy_%28third_generation%29#Outback

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

Thank's for all your info guys! Good to know that the Lancaster is good on petrol with the manual trans. But what do you think to pay $11,500 for it? I'm scared looking how much does it cost a Lancaster that is not "fresh import"... its too big the difference! but yes, I haven't seen any manual with low kms... so do you think that the manual cost more?.

Looking all the 4th gen othe Legacy wagon, most of them are very near to the price of this B-Sport ($11,990)... and what I think is if I need to sell the car next year, the B-Sport will be more close this price than the Lancaster...but again, I'm not sure if I'm wrong with this and maybe after a year I can sell this Lancaster manual that will still having low kms in a price close to this.

In case to decide for some Legacy... the B-Sport, its a good one?, or I should look for a 2.0R or 2.5?? or 140HP are ok for this car? I'm not looking a race car, but something that will respond and give a normal petrol consume according the cc and type of car.

yes the lancaster is a bit over priced for its age because its manual and car sales tend to do that. there is very little choice if you want a manual because there aren't that many as you will know from searching on trademe.

so if you're thinking of selling the the car next year the B sport is the newer model so it would be a better choice so you're probably going to loose less on it

funkytown said:

yup the h/gs they came with from factory were soft and prone to leakage. once replaced they go well there after.

This was more in the earlier BG lancasters, but also some in the BH shape.

Are the gen gaskets better now?

Stodart said:

yes the lancaster is a bit over priced for its age because its manual and car sales tend to do that. there is very little choice if you want a manual because there aren't that many as you will know from searching on trademe.

so if you're thinking of selling the the car next year the B sport is the newer model so it would be a better choice so you're probably going to loose less on it

Even that the B-Sport has 144.000kms now?

dacerx said:

I'd hold out for a 3.0r if u have that kind of money to play with, far more reliable than both of those, love mine wouldn't go back to a 2l anymore

I'd like go for a 3.0R..but I don't have that cash.. I have to buy it to a dealer to get the finance and the 3.0R from dealers cost more than that :(