Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need help making a decision on new car

Phewsion

Which would you pick? (Photos and extras below)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick? (Photos and extras below)

• 2005 Forester Cross Sports
    • 2002 Forester Cross Sports

2005 Forester Cross Sports (Bog Standard) SG5C or D? 106000ks

226240543_full.jpg

2002 Forester Cross Sports (Body Kit, Boost Gauge, Stealth Screen, 17" Alloys, Exhaust, Factory Tints) SG5A? 86000ks

217074635_full.jpg

2005 has the Facelift extras, 2002 has Lower milage and more aftermarket accessories $1000 price difference (02 being more expensive)

Question is would getting the 05 then just buying the extra stuff the 02 has be the better way to go, or buying the 02 with everything already done

See my sig I have a 97 S/TB now and was planning on trying to swap the mag wheels over

Opinions/Advice welcome :)

Do the foresters still have UEL headers btw? forgot to ask that, I know the BP on legacys ended up with EL Headers so bye bye boxer rumble

I did "choose" the 05 first, it's more of a spend more money to do to it what's already done on the 02 so in saying that the 05 has a built in dvd player that also has a hard drive D:

I have to make my choice by Wednesday, ozfoz have heaps of info on the "XT" but next to nothing on Cross Sports, and I trust clubsubs advice

Also the 05 is almost unique in that light blue look (My Mum likes the 05 :S)

paulngui']

I'd go for the 05. Looks much cleaner without the garish body kit, is newer, cheaper, and won't have to do cam belt any time soon. My 2c :)

Don't think the cambelt has been done at all , There was an engine bay sticker in Japanese with a date on it, but unsure of it was that or a "service"

3 stickers along the front

213063727_full.jpg

How did you make the poll?

Next to "Make New Topic" was "Make New Poll" ? D:

[quote name='Scoobydoo said:

Then get the 02. Would you really want to be driving any car that your Mum would want to drive? Lol

My mum never drives any of my cars, but I do drive her places so I take her when looking at new cars to test out "passenger comfort" :P

She just doesn't like silver

Yeh I'm thinking the 02 mainly coz everything I would "do" to it has been done, Boost Gauge, Exhaust, Tints also being 86000ks I wouldn't really need to do the cam belt for a good while

But I think it's 5 years or 100000ks isn't it for cambelt so I should probably do it anyway? as We Are Borg said get them to do it before I pick it up

Also mods like

- VF24 turbo

- Walbro 500Lph fuel pump

- V7 STI pink 565cc injectors

- V7 STI ECU

- V7 STI Intercooler

Possibly... :)

Also I'd probably change the rear bumper to one like the light blue, Thoughts?

i really like the 02.

mods, go for a vf30 or 36 turbo... vf24 is v3/4 tech, very old in comparison. vf36 being twinscroll would require up pipe, downpipe headers and sump swapped, but while you have the sump off you can change the sump pickup (this shape was prone to breaking)

the ecu is reflashable in both cars, so no need to swap in the sti ecu, just reflash to suit.

sti interior swaps straight in...

walbro is an easy swap too.

i LOVE this shape forrie, really want to get a 2004 STI one, same engine/ gearbox as a v8 sti....

There is a blue sti one on TM for 14500 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/forester/auction-488091389.htm

207973116_full.jpg

But I'm trading in my SF5 so it's easier going via dealer, They are giving me 4.5k for it considering I only paid $3k it's a bonus

Just wondering if I should swap the wheels over or keep the ones on the 02?

Found this on TM from a place called Signet cars in Kelston

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/forester/auction-515975636.htm

Is it just me or does it look out of whack? Same body kit as the silver but the wheels make it look weird (Sort of Side by Side)

233871495_full.jpg217074627_full.jpg

Main differences, Left has factory Exhaust and is $3k cheaper, Both have same kit same k's same interior options (color differences)

Edit: Still prefer the silver one though, looks more cared for

I thought the 05 had 5x114.3 rather than the 5x100 the older versions had.

I would take the 02 but the 05 is tidy clean and stock.

I wouldn't leave the 02 till 100,000ks for a service. Get it checked over and 85,000ks is when first belts and general overhaul gets done so depending on the owners manual, you may b spending an extra grand on this but it should be done on whichever car you get.

Anywho any bits off your sf5 they aren't gonna miss you may wanna sell? :D

Yeh I have, Bugger all turbo foresters on the market at the moment

Same people selling the cross sports have this

7e8696c701120f682809a5d7af0ddcf3.1.jpg?t

$10k Leather/Cloth interior, Body kit as well, but the Cross Sports sits lower by about 30mm naturally and comes with 5sp auto instead of 4sp coz of the sports shift in Tiptronic mode (apparently)

reaperblitz said:

I thought the 05 had 5x114.3 rather than the 5x100 the older versions had.

I would take the 02 but the 05 is tidy clean and stock.

I wouldn't leave the 02 till 100,000ks for a service. Get it checked over and 85,000ks is when first belts and general overhaul gets done so depending on the owners manual, you may b spending an extra grand on this but it should be done on whichever car you get.

Anywho any bits off your sf5 they aren't gonna miss you may wanna sell? :D

I might not actually trade the SF5 in, but rather my mums Rav 4 which I bought for her in November 2011 and she hasn't driven once (To scared to drive on auckland roads during peak hour)

The wheels I have are multi fit 4x100 5x100 5x114.3 so should fit either way

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=114653 XT Specs

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=114851 Cross Sports

The guy at Buy Right Cars said they imported about 2000 cars just before the law kicked in end of last year

So both 02 models have been sitting on their yard for atleast 9 months, when I looked at the XT it was like "Poor thing got shoved to the back of the building and no one cared" was my first impression

Needed some decent TLC to bring it back to life, While the 05 was up front on the road, the 02 Cross Sports is at another branch so I haven't viewed it up close yet

I assumed (Comparing SF5 to SG5) the XT was T/Tb and the Cross Sports was S/Tb

I'm assuming the engines are the same it's just the little accessories Cross Sports has reverse cam and manual shift via steering wheel, XT is the "basic" version of the SG5 series

Subbyboy did you look at the cross sports prior to purchasing the XT? If so what swayed you towards the XT

the xt forester is the s/tb equivalent. the only twin turbo forries were sf5's

the cross sports iirc is a s/tb forrie with sti bits, but wrx engine (same as the fabled "jdm wrx")

sti forrie is an sti forrie :P

best thing you can do is hit the car lot in the last week of the month, they'll bite at a sale faster. also a bit more eager to sell, as they have bills.

first thing i try to do, do whenever I buy a new car, (Unless reciepts are provided) is do the cam belt...

hate-evoz said:

Phewsion you sound pretty clued up about ya foresters .. Im sure youll make the right choice.

I have my moments, I'm just 1 of these people that like to get multiple opinions on things, I like all 3 for different reasons, 05 Being newer, 02 Cross having all the extra stuff I'd put on anyway, and the cheap XT I like the grill and front bumper, So by gauging everyones response I can come to a better decision :)

Tho I don't like the smaller feel of the 05 steering wheel, prefer the chunky momo :>

Actually here is a question, Will the 4 pots I put on the SF5 work on the SG? I was gonna swap wheels but realised the XT has 16" and might not clear

I was looking at both but i wasnt convinced on the CS interior, My XT is pretty well specd, Factory tints, full roof sunroof, the dark interior, and it is manual 8), i also reckon the XT looks more aggressive, They are pretty much identical overall, jst different gearbox(if its auto) and different exterior features, the motors will b the same,

the main thing that swayed me to buy the XT was the price $12,500 with 48,000km on the clock a bargin! and how well it was specd,

Yeh that's what originally swayed me $9999 vs $13999, Sure there is 20000ks different, Reversing camera doesn't bother me I had a reversing sensor kit that I was gonna install on the SF5 that I can just re use

My current wheels are multi fit so can swap those over, And I think the XT might have it's cam belt done. There were 2 stickers on the dash that meets up with drivers door (Where people tend to put the cam belt sticker so they don't disintegrate from engine heat) One was a service coz it mentioned oil the other just had a 102,000k's reference

But both stickers were in japanese and I didn't really "look" properly I'll find out on Wednesday when I go back