Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dash Cams for insurance and recording idiots

Greaver

Hey people I have been thinking about getting a dash cam for some time given all the crazy shit I see on the roads and the chance of some idiot hitting me and doing a runner (my mate got hit, followed the driver, police said they couldn\'t send someone, and the insurance company refused to do anything with no police report) so I thought I would see if any clubsub members have experience with them.

I definitely want something 720p or higher, anything lower would be pointless but there seems to be a lot of disparity in camera quality, especially for nightvision.

A quick release would be cool too but that seems to be impossible based on the models I have looked at thus far.

I was looking at one of these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130455460442

Based on this review - http://www.carcamcentral.com/reviews/chinese-dash-camera-showdown

He also reviewed them for youtube which I watched, and it was really good, available here -

• 1 month later...

I can get a 720p at the front and 480 at the rear setup in for under $200 so it seems worthwhile - my insurance excess is $950 due to me being under 25 so its little outlay for a higher chance of a conviction.

I may look at a custom setup when I go to do my car pc project at some stage though, setting it up to constantly backup to my main server inside when my car is within range wouldn\'t be too hard and the tdp on hardware is coming down at a crazy rate so with a larger battery its something I could leave on stand by constantly, triggered by motion detection etc

Would be a cool project if nothing else

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • General Member
  • 1 year later...

Big bump for 2015, anyone picked up anything in the last couple of years?

Hearing good things about the 0806 Mini but as usual with Chinese stuff hard to know whether dropping the cash is worth it

PB Tech has a promising looking Zalman one too

• 2 years later...
  • General Member

Tig ol' Bitty Bump for this

Just got one of these : 

3UvQfgXl.png

so far VERY inpressed!

Front & rear / reversing Camera, GPS, Bluetooth WIFI you name it, it does it

still seeking legality advice as it does cover the Rear view Mirror & effectively replaces it wit ha screen (that can be turned OFF) / operates as a mirror still

s-l1600.jpg

everything I looked at on TM was another 'stick to the dash' unit

link if you want to perv : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Junsun-3G-Car-DVR-Mirror-Video-Camera-7-Android-5-0-Dash-cam-16GB-Full-HD-1080P/222798004521?hash=item33dfcbc129:g:tMwAAOSwJRZaXWJr

I'll pop up sample clip I recorded this morning (nothing happens just checking Quality / gear)

which was a relatively simple install, an 'always on' source is kinda good too if you want this to record someone backing into your car while you're stationary / parked overnight etc

Well mitsubishi fitted them to the ASX as an option for reversing camera (cheap retro fit on older models). Think it is only allowed to work when reverse is selected, otherwise has to operate as mirror. Same as DVD player has to be not visible(back seat) to driver or only when handbrake is on.

But I'm no lawyer and neither was the dealer who I was talking to.

I had the dx reserving one for a while, mirror sucked and got rid of it.

ps once you use these and the police and insurance have a record you have one(i.e. Seen at scene or used in claim) it becomes a double edged sword.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

ps once you use these and the police and insurance have a record you have one(i.e. Seen at scene or used in claim) it becomes a double edged sword.

Elaboration if you'd care...?

• General Member
36 minutes ago, JGM said:

Elaboration

if you drive like a dick it will only prove it

vs Their word against your or "Just waiting for a mate" type of scenarios

bit like Big Brother watching

same went for I had a quote for Security Cam's in my Workshop : good for security, bad if caught out doing unsafe work practices etc

• Like 1

• Admin

@Joker that video quality is so bad :/ Looks like they've just stuck a fisheye lens on a 480p camera.

For comparison, this is from my dashcam which I've had for a few years now:

I'm looking at getting a new dashcam that's a bit more discreet than my current one. Current one doesn't fit very well in the new Legacy due to rearview mirror, rain/light sensor and sun visors.

• Like 1

• General Member
38 minutes ago, 1randomkiwi said:

quality

check it now : re uploaded, 1st time I viewed it it was actually methed up so bad the vision was distorted : never seen a screwed up upload before

rear view / via the reversing Cam

wtf! both those are blank vids now aye?

grr looked good on the YT app cell upload?

edit : ffs it appears to have been attributed 360 degree status? wtf 

LOL even sending it to the FB keeps it "360" when its not lol, gotta figure that out

55 minutes ago, Joker said:

if you drive like a dick it will only prove it

vs Their word against your or "Just waiting for a mate" type of scenarios

bit like Big Brother watching

same went for I had a quote for Security Cam's in my Workshop : good for security, bad if caught out doing unsafe work practices etc

Easy way to get around that... don't drive like a dick.

Thought that would be the case with the he said / she said. If your insurance had a record of you using a dash camera, how would they be able to use that to their advantage say if you 'hypothetically' were driving like a dick? Doubt anyone would use their own footage to incriminate themselves, would they? :P

• Like 1