Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best alarm with built in turbo timer?

dean.ryan

Turbo timers are not needed. end of story. I run about 10 turbo vehicles in my fleet, most of them have in excess of 250,000 km on them and none run a turbo timer,these are all turbo diesels ( not that it matters) and 5 or so are run in extreme turbo conditions ( from ohakune to turoa full of people so turbo is at FULL boost for in excess of 20 minutes)

B-MAGIC said:

Ive got a 2 way steelmate alarm, prob not the best brand but it works pretty good so far. Is engine start alarm so I use it every morning to warm car up, it lets me know what door has been open and stuff like that. Doesnt have turbo timer feature but I dont really need it anyway as I always warm my car down by drving it gently before I turn her off. as said above. Was put into my V7 WRX, Had to bypass the clutch system as before clutch needed to be engaged to start but not anymore have rigged up a switch to choose if I want to use clutch start or not. Alarm system was $250 installed. Good product for the price imo

Remote start sounds cool I suppose.. lol

re: turbo timers - how much do you think the oil will "cool down" when the car is sitting idling in the driveway - if anything it gets warmer, eventually the fans will flick on to try and cool it.

Plus it just pisses off the neighbours haha

As much of a marketing con as platinum plugs

Marky said:

re: turbo timers - how much do you think the oil will "cool down" when the car is sitting idling in the driveway - if anything it gets warmer, eventually the fans will flick on to try and cool it.

Plus it just pisses off the neighbours haha

As much of a marketing con as platinum plugs

Yes yea yes p plugs ! Lol takes 15 min to change plugs i use coppers change them at oil change time!

Any who avs do there alarms with built in turbo timer if u still want one

We are borg said:

Turbo timers are not needed. end of story. I run about 10 turbo vehicles in my fleet, most of them have in excess of 250,000 km on them and none run a turbo timer,these are all turbo diesels ( not that it matters) and 5 or so are run in extreme turbo conditions ( from ohakune to turoa full of people so turbo is at FULL boost for in excess of 20 minutes)

All our trucks have turbo timers fitted... they all pretty much switched off. I think I only know of one with a turbo timer that runs.

Wasn\'t turbo timmers only best for older cars/vehicles that are fitted with... is it bush bearing surfaces. Ball bearing etc don\'t need turbo timers?.

• General Member

also I prefer a timer you can disable/is not part of another system, in an event you can switch it off/have it off in 1st place : subaru\'s have tendancy to be a ball of flames in bad crashes/fuel pump still going etc

dynatron ones can be disabled with the alarm remote fwiw.

turbo timers were more useful in old turbo cars like my 12a turbo cosmo, no intercooler and boosing 7psi yo, after a spirited 220km run down the wellington motorway (cos thats how we rolled 15 years ago) you would pop the bonnet and you could see through the turbo exhaust housing cos it was so hot. Thats what turbo timers were for.

as for platnium plugs, I was always anti them until I was told if copper plugs are left to long in a high performace situation the electrodes can break down and bits come off into your cylinders.

But how long that is im not sure.

The whole plug thing is a life issue not so much a performance issue placebo effect according to many tuners.

I use my turbo timer all the time but not for turbo reasons. Nip out flick the car on pull the key and let it warm up while I do whatever else only gives a thief 5 minutes with the steering wheel locked and handbrake up. Or leave it going for 2 seconds running in somewhere/keeping the kid happy.