Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

AVS Car Security - Alarm Questions/Help Section

AVS Car Security

• Admin
 Firenza']

[quote name='Firenza said:

I've also got a query for the AVS guys about my alarm.

I've got a S5 in my WRX and when its alarmed it randomly chips 4 times. Theres nothing touching it, all the doors and windows are shut and it appears to happen utterly randomly. ??? sometimes itll do it once, others many times while its sat there.

The manual makes no mention of 4 chirps unless its been activated, but this happens when its just sitting there. Its chirps then continues as if nothing had even happened, and it doesnt inform me of it having been activated while it was alarmed when i disarm it :-\

Its really quite odd. Other then that, its a really good system, it seems much better then the other alarms ive had in the past!

/quote]

Its happening again after having the shock sensor turned up. I dont think it can be the sensor being too touchy though, as with the car armed I can smack the windscreen with my hand or tap the windows with my keys it doesnt notice it. No chirps or anything.

Very odd...

What sensors do you have, if you don't mind me asking? PM if you don't want it on the open forum.

Firenza came into work today and we have sorted it all out. It was the onboard dual stage shock sensor causing the issues. From looking at the brain it would seem the wiring for the crystal of the sensor has come loose most probably from being installed and let to move around banging on the steering column. Another important reason for having the alarm installed in the correct location, the sensor never had a chance to operate correctly and has in this case caused damage.

Brad

Yea, I love it, Only down the road from them too!

I think AVS is great, their service to me has been brilliant.

walked in off the street and got a Brand new alarm brain, and now my alarm does more cool things :P

Whenever I turn my key to the 'ON' position the doors automatically lock... Is this to do with my alarm and can it be stopped (I think its a dynatron, would have gone AVS but it was already in the car) or is it something standard to Subaru's?

Also if I was looking at going from a 4 star to a 5 star alarm what sort of price bracket am I looking at for an AVS system?

Id think that its a alarm thing. I know that my one can be made to do that if i wanted...

According to their website, its 649 fitted for the S5 one which is the top spec 5 star alarm. So a bit cheaper than that for CS discount i'd think.

AVS S5's have an option to lock the doors on ignition on, if the doors lock at a certain speed it is normally an OEM function as with alot of higher spec Toyotas etc, the alarm (AVS alarm) can not control that.

The current AVS Special for Club Sub members is $549 installed :)

Brad

AVS Car Security said:

AVS S5's have an option to lock the doors on ignition on, if the doors lock at a certain speed it is normally an OEM function as with alot of higher spec Toyotas etc, the alarm (AVS alarm) can not control that.

The current AVS Special for Club Sub members is $549 installed :)

Brad

That is strange as it's a 1989 legacy - I didn't think they had those bells and whistles back then? None of my mates one do, as far as i'm aware.

AVS Car Security said:

subieboy - Sounds like when you reconnected the battery you have surged the siren and popped the internal battery. A new siren is $199 fitted minus your discount :)

Brad I see on the forum you mention a data sirens...

Would my version have this at all? or is it too old??

Pardon the random Q

From the AVS website:

Data battery back-up siren

A data battery back-up siren has its own back-up battery and charging system so it will continue to sound even if power is cut to it from the car (such as a thief trying to stop the noise by cutting the wires). The battery is automatically charged off your car’s electrical system. It also uses a data link between the car alarm module and siren rather than a simple trigger wire. This makes it much more difficult for a thief to bypass the siren. The Five Star AVS S5 car alarm, Four Star AVS S4 car alarm, and the Four Star AVS A4 car alarm all come with this type of siren.

http://www.avscarsecurity.com/jargon/

Basically it uses an AC signal wire to control the siren much like CAN-Bus etc unlike Mongoose or Dynatron etc sirens which use either an earth or positive to control there sirens - very easy to bypass as a thief.

Brad

spark_38 said:
That is strange as it's a 1989 legacy - I didn't think they had those bells and whistles back then? None of my mates one do, as far as i'm aware.

There must be an aftermarket module installed in your car to cause this I would guess. Done some research and does not seem any Subaru's have this option and it definitely i not the alarm as it does not have a speed sense input and none of our alarms ever have :)

Brad

• Admin
 spark_38 said:

Our old 1991 (? I think?) Legacy VZ-type R would lock the doors automatically at about 20kph.

• 4 months later...
 Scoobydoo said:

Battery backup siren doesn't chirp any more... what could be wrong?

And yes, it's in the "on" position

Maybe need to take it apart and check for any corrosion etc.

You've disabled the chirps, easy fix.

Press a few buttons and tap your feet...

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, I have the exact some problem as the issue below, my alarm just chirps 4 times for no reason nothing near or touching the car, its been doing it for a few months now, is it likely to be the same problem as below. Its an S5 aswell. fitted by Automotive Security Systems on the shore.

I've also got a query for the AVS guys about my alarm.

I've got a S5 in my WRX and when its alarmed it randomly chips 4 times. Theres nothing touching it, all the doors and windows are shut and it appears to happen utterly randomly. sometimes itll do it once, others many times while its sat there.

The manual makes no mention of 4 chirps unless its been activated, but this happens when its just sitting there. Its chirps then continues as if nothing had even happened, and it doesnt inform me of it having been activated while it was alarmed when i disarm it

Its really quite odd. Other then that, its a really good system, it seems much better then the other alarms ive had in the past!

It is the pre warning for the dual stage shock sensor which picks up lighter impacts etc. What causes it to happen is parts of the car near the alarm expanding and contracting in the heat/cold and which causes small shock waves which the sensor will pick up when it is next to it. If it does once in a blue moon or even once a day I would leave it as is as it would be set as high as it can be for a security side and not false alarming etc. If it does it more often than two or three times a day and it annoys you then the sensor can be adjusted down a bit to make it a little less sensitive.

Brad

this is happening maybe 4 times a day, and the alarm is false alarming not super regular maybe 3-4 times a week, I took it back to the installer and there solution was to lower the sensitivity, seems a little bit of a cop out solution especially when they say normally we have no problems at this sensitivity. To me that would indicate something else is wrong and this is a work around rather than a fix. A little disappointed.

Ok thanks for the reply Brad, Ill see how it goes and hopefully this resolves the issues, I did do a few tests on the car yesterday and it does still seem to go off with a reasonable amount of force is put on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Even with the sensitivity turned down the car still does the 4 chirps very often twice a day, and its still false alarming at least twice a week. Is there anything else that could need checking?