Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oxidation on Carbon Fibre Bonnet

Marky

Hi

Just got a new / second hand carbon bonnet, has quite a bit of oxidation on it.

It *does* disappear when I buff it with the meguiars colour restoration stuff, then gradually fades back in - so it is the clear at least, not the carbon or resin whatever starting to un-bond itself.

Internet consensus is either go to town with cutting/buffing compound orrrr take it to a panelbeaters and have them do a wet sand / buff / re-clearcoat

Has anyone got experience or advice to share? Would be appreciated :)

Thanks

If the oxidation keeps coming back Id wetsand and reclear, the more you buff and the harsher the compounds you may need to go to might go through into the weave screwing it for good. Shouldnt cost too much for a couple of layers of clear, a panel beater might be able to whack it in the booth with some other stuff they need to clear to save some time/cost.

Ha - I think that\'s what I used last night. Worked wicked for about 30 seconds then faded back in. I might try something a bit stronger (like some decent cutting polish rather than restorer) sometime.

Heaps of youtube clips of people just wetsanding it back, then even just rattlecan clear overtop to smooth it out again. Can\'t really make it any worse than it is.

If I eff it up I\'m planning on getting it done to match the body when funds allow anyway, so no great harm I guess.

The oxidatipon is from using the wrong type of clear coat from the start which funny enough is how most carbon bonnets come. I have a bonnet also that needs reclearing the local panel guys reckon a Uv stable clear can be applied or a 2pak clear will stop it from recurring also happens with spoilers because of the gelcoat

Ok, here\'s my first crack at this.

Before: (note this is after trying the meguiars color repair stuff)

IMG_20130114_162824.jpg

Started with a wet sand, got the oxidation off straight away (woo bonus) but also funnily enough stripped some of the clear

IMG_20130115_162206.jpg

Went to a finer sandpaper, ran that over it, pretty much carried on until there was no resistance and it just kinda glided over the surface.

Then started to clear over it... I\'m not flash at painting but it does the trick, it\'s just generic dulux rattle can stuff. So far have given it one coat, fcked it up (got dog fur on it.... ) so have given it a light buff and about to do coat two. So far so good, will chuck up a finished product once I\'ve done my 12th attempt at running clear over it haha

IMG_20130115_181058.jpg

Final result turned out pretty good, touch wood

IMG_20130116_135416.jpg

IMG_20130116_185920.jpg

Still buffing it repeatedly - will sh!t me if it goes and stuffs itself in a few weeks time - but for an outlay of 2 cans clear and some sandpaper (and about 4 hours) I\'m happy.

More proof that the internet will never lie to me