Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to install a BOV in Subaru TT

smurff said:

i had CS before at low pressure, had to adjust the settings on my BOV, its a pitty its bad, it does sound nice :(

-smurff

Yeah i used to run an aftermarket BOV but found it wasn't responsive enough under low pressure so i went back to the stock one instead

• 9 months later...

just had a gt hybrid installed on my b4, why does it rev up a little when you change gears with the new bov installed? spring pressure? does it need adjusting?

I get the same thing...

I take it you are venting at least 50% to atmo? I suspect it is a result of the mixture suddenly going rich.

SpotMe said:

I get the same thing...

I take it you are venting at least 50% to atmo? I suspect it is a result of the mixture suddenly going rich.

yep 50/50 set up at mo

will it settle or is this a permanent consequence of having the luxury of a bov? if its going to keep doing it, im getting the factory put back on.

i dont know, just wasnt expecting it given it has not been as such on other cars ive had.

ill see how i feel tomorrow, if its still playing my mind, its coming off and going up for sale on here.

ReubenH']

[quote name='pappu said:

ruben, u got a v3 inverted blow off? any difference in sound?

/quote]

Yep, stock V3 BOV. The correct way round it's real quiet, flipped it a few weeks ago and it's heaps louder now, and the BOV flutters if you let off the gas slowly too.. sounds mean. Noticed no ill effects either. It's da poor mans BOV mod au, sucks to be a phase-2 driver ;):P

its the bov thats flutters and not the turbo...

i think i heard a similar thing in a v3 wagon but wasnt sure if was a turbo surge

Yep, it's the BOV fluttering. Not a chance it's actual compressor surge. It's only when you boost a little bit and let off slowly, you get the full on PSSHHH normally.

Can I do this on my BH? or no because of phase II engine? :-\

had a quick drive in car again, seems to have actually settled or not as bad as initially thought...would it be holding boost longer or is it my imagination?

It'll vary depending on how much boost you had at the time of release.

Basically, what is happening is when the valve vents to atmosphere it is releasing air that the computer has already seen as entering the engine (via the MAF).

So if you're not boosting much, the BOV either won't vent at all or will only vent a little and when set to 50/50 atmo, it may only vent back into the intake and you're not losing much intake air.

When you have been boosting hard, the BOV definitely opens and you vent a lot of air out to the atmosphere and for a short period of time the car runs rich.

heres the quite well worded and explained response direct for the GFB dude in Australia...

"This is the GFB's effect of improving throttle response, and simply

requires a slight change in shifting technique. The factory MY99-00 valve

(also used on the B4) is very soft, and will open long before the throttle

closes during a gearshift. This means the factory valve is emptying the

intercooler of boost pressure prematurely (even before you've completely

lifted the throttle) and hence the engine loses power more rapidly during

throttle closing, meaning the throttle must be lifted slightly later than

normal to perform a smooth shift.

The GFB valve however holds boost pressure until the throttle is closer to

being fully closed. This difference in operation means that the GFB valve

improves throttle response and reduces lag (and on the B4 stops the annoying

power surging that is experienced on the freeway), and because of this you

need to lift off the throttle slightly earlier during a gearshift.

In fact, it is more correct to say that the factory valve actually changes

the behaviour of the engine artificially and requires a different shift

technique, and the GFB valve simply returns it to how it should be. But

since the car comes from the factory like that, the driver is used to how it

feels."

I did notice driving on the motorway home that it stopped the power surging etc but I thought hmmm maybe something wrong now its not doing that, but it seems like its an improvement, or so they say, but I should think it should be should it not? their explanation seems reasonable yes?

Come to think of it, now driving it, it does hold longer and does not feel dead or have hard rev drop between changes so I guess I was just used to the way it came 'standard' and now just getting used to and waking up to the fact it is actually going 'normally' I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of fitting a BOV to a B4-

I've picked up a HKS super sequential BOV, went to fit it but it appears I'm missing part #29. I cant tell what it is exactly because my instructions are in Japanese! Looks to go down near the turbo, appears to a plug of some sort??

Can anyone shed some light on this? And what I could use in its place?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just bought and installed a HKS super sequential BOV for my 2000 GTB wagon I was wondering the plumb back piping for the original one... what should I do with it? we dont want it recirculating because it defies the point of an after market blow off valve lol anyone know what to do with it were not totally sure it is the plumb back to the exhaust though its about an inch in diameter and drops down by one of the turbos and also has a pipe joined to it from the engine so were assuming its the exhaust do we cut it off or do we plug it? also a hint when installing a BOV with the spring loaded securing thingy we threw ours in boiling water to make it more maleable and it helped a lot but it did take 3 sets of hands to get it in =) lol

the plumb back pipe should be blocked there is a bung that comes with the kit.

what did you use to set the spring loaded securing thingiee ( internal circlip ) did you use circlip pliers? its easy as with them

-smurff

jjdurham said:

block of text

The pipe doesn't go to the exhaust it goes to the intake, I imagine if you 'cut it off' or leave it open your engine won't like it too much. Did you buy the HKS bov second hand? As most bov's I've seen come with a bung.

Post up in the buying forum if you need a bung and someone may have one lying around :)

• 4 weeks later...

Put a coke bottle lid in it and use the stock clamp that holds it onto the stock bov until you get a bung. Sorted. Worked for me

they used to sell turbosmart? bungs at redlineperformance, had a variety of sizes, they probably still do them.

-smurff