Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to install a BOV in Subaru TT

• General Member

pics tonight for you (Bg - very similar I assume)

you may need the 20mm adapters from GFB, a short 20mm steel pipe, some spare 20mm hose and at least one extra hose clamp!

(I ended up re-using some old heater hose I had lying around)

• General Member

Step 1 Aquire GFB hybrid BOV and wear it like bling!

th_2008_1218001.jpg

locate OEM BOV

th_2008_1219002.jpgth_2008_1219003.jpg

remove

th_2008_1219004.jpg

how to make loud noises!

place bung in "return" and let the trumpets do their work (this setup lasted a day)

th_2008_1219008.jpg

had to have above setup due to fact BOV was supplied with 34mm? connectors and Brendon at GFB was surprised in the fact his assumption was all WRX's were that size, sit and wait for 20mm adapters arrive...

you can see small allen-key below which I found after trying to unscrew it for 15 mins!

th_2008_1219007.jpg

th_2008_1219009.jpg

rangi mod - Like I said need pipe and spare hose clamp, 1st attempt I cut the existing pipe in half but that left the BOV a bit high and it rubbed on inside of the bonnet

th_2003_0108002.jpg

th_2003_0108001.jpg

rangi mod #2 - lost my bung and have since tidied up my infamous "plastic-bag" mod (effectively plumbs back 100%) and looks prettier

th_2003_0108004.jpg

you will also need a longer vacuum hose to reach way back where I have mine.. (that blue line)

• General Member

each to their own...

probably does flow better - currently set to HARD and get turbo surge/fluttering below 5psi - is this bad?

with plastic bag mod (cleaned up) i notice some small leekage on SOFT setting and remember a guide Leo/RedlinePerformance posted about tuning BOV's but nowhere in the range do I get "stall"

I got given the bov as a present from my flat mate for my 21st :)

I see that it bolts straight on, but i think i need an adapter to mount it on.

Do they sound good? My one is a Hybrid one :)

shellz said:

ur one will bolt to the intercooler and only fit one way - i think its same as v7/8 flage..

anyway, makes pretty good sound too...

ruben, u got a v3 inverted blow off? any difference in sound?

shellz said:

Good flat mate!

A Hybrid as in one like this one?

http://www.gofastbits.com/index.php?parentid=guides&option=guides&sub_option=bovs&sub_sub_option=1003

If so you will need an adaptor.

I'm Considering on getting an HKS sequential BOV.............either that or a TurboSmart BOV What do you guys suggest? and i'm also thinking about getting the car Dyno Tuned at ST-HITEC in Auckland...

i priced up at St-Hi tech. i will most likely be taking my car there in the future. dont have any personal experiance with them yet.

-smurff

pappu said:

Yep, stock V3 BOV. The correct way round it's real quiet, flipped it a few weeks ago and it's heaps louder now, and the BOV flutters if you let off the gas slowly too.. sounds mean. Noticed no ill effects either. It's da poor mans BOV mod au, sucks to be a phase-2 driver ;):P

Edit: Lol just saw this old post of mine. Ill effects were found indead. The bov flutter i heard was actually compressor surge. Woops. Lesson for newbs, leave it factory or spend the coin on getting a real BOV!

Glen']

[quote name='shellz said:

/quote]

Good flat mate!

A Hybrid as in one like this one?

http://www.gofastbits.com/index.php?parentid=guides&option=guides&sub_option=bovs&sub_sub_option=1003

If so you will need an adaptor.

Yes i have an awesome flatmate he is really close mate :);) Who actually owns a subbie to :P

Yes thats the exact one i got, so i will need an adaptor :) And is it easy to install? Where can i get adaptor's from and do you know how much they are?

Yeah you will need an adaptor. According to the GFB website the adaptor for the B4 has been discontinued. However give Brendon at GFB NZ a ring and he might have one lying around. 07 5799205

ReubenH']

[quote name='pappu said:

/quote]

Yep, stock V3 BOV. The correct way round it's real quiet, flipped it a few weeks ago and it's heaps louder now, and the BOV flutters if you let off the gas slowly too.. sounds mean. Noticed no ill effects either. It's da poor mans BOV mod au, sucks to be a phase-2 driver ;):P

its the bov thats flutters and not the turbo...

i think i heard a similar thing in a v3 wagon but wasnt sure if was a turbo surge

yea i get flutter too it sounds nasty to me lol it sounds like a sigh then a lil flutter i just want a big fuck off PSH lol

suubyduuby said:

i think i heard a similar thing in a v3 wagon but wasnt sure if was a turbo surge

Yeah, want to make sure it's not compressor surge. Nasty for the turbo!

+1

can't this inevertably damage your compresor wheel or even the turbo shaft?

if its bad enough?

-smurff

pappu']

[quote name='pappu said:

/quote]

Yep, it's the BOV fluttering. Not actual compressor surge. It's only when you boost a little bit and let off slowly, you get the full on PSSHHH normally.

Edit: There was indeed compressor surge i found out, when at partial throttle-full boost. Woops.

+1

can't this inevertably damage your compresor wheel or even the turbo shaft?

if its bad enough?

-smurff

Indeed it can.

Check out these vids to listen to the sound of turbo destruction: :-\

Second one shows the effects of CS in a dyno plot.

But yeah I think as Reuben just mentioned, not CS but BOV flutter. Does sound different...