Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine miss and hesitation under load?

driftweez

Hey

I was getting very poor fuel economy out of my BG5 Legacy GT so have replaced the spark plugs with 1.1mm gapped plugs. I have always had a miss under load but it seems to be worse now.. Checked the CEL codes and its so not sure what I should be looking for? Knock sensor, AFM, O2sensor? Re gap plugs would this help? What are people thoughts?

Cheers

I had a BF GT Wagon with a good O2 sensor and it ALWAYS got bad fuel economy (I got 10km/l ONCE on the highway) but mine did have 270,000km on it. However more related to this post I also had a missfire under boost. I replaced the plugs with copper core ones (no idea on the gap, was too long ago) and the miss almost disappeared (only happened at max load) for a while then got worse.

Pull the coils and check under the rubber boots for fine cracks as the spark will go through that if it\'s easier than going through the plug (a wide gapped plug under boost is actually pretty hard to fire). They *can* be temporarily/partially sealed with a non-metallic nail polish if they aren\'t too bad (just use clear). Old school guys did this on distributor caps. But mine were actually cracked to the point of falling apart. So...

I replaced mine with 4 VL commodore coils (some wiring required) and the leads from a DOHC engine with the wasted spark setup and never had a problem with spark ever again. Cost me $80 for the coils, leads were free from a mate and I cut up my collection of dead Subaru coils for the plugs.

Incidentally the resistance of the VL coil primary circuit (across the + and - of the coil) was the same as the Subaru coils so the ignitor should be fine long term, but see my signature for my official stance on internet advice.

Things that have caused my miss-firing:

- Plugs gapped incorrectly. 0.8mm ftw

- Coils got old. New coils are pricey but make a huge difference (expect a few years out of a set tho)

- Fuel pump. The factory one will be giving you grief if you haven\'t replaced it already

- Fuel pump wiring. The factory wiring seems to build up heaps of resistance, limiting the current draw by the pump. New power supply/relay did the trick

- AFM (this was more a cut-out rather than a missfire). Resoldered cracked connections. There\'ll probably be CEL\'s if it\'s this.

Misc other ignition issues & fixes:

- Knock-sensor didn\'t cause missfires but did put it in to limp mode. You\'ll get a CEL for this.

- Oxygen sensor. Probably getting old but shouldn\'t cause missfire under load (ECU ignores it). It might explain your high gas consumption though

- Cam sensor gave me starting/idling grief, no missfires (ECU doesn\'t use it for firing, only syncing at startup and idle)

My order of debugging would be:

1. Regap those plugs!

2. Check ECU for codes - fix as required

3. Reset ECU (battery off over night)

4. Check resistance on fuel pump circuit - fix as required

5. Replace stuff! Your choice if you go in order of cheapness or likelihood of being at fault (i\'d go fuel pump, coils, knock sensor, oxygen, afm)

G\'luck

(edit to categorise stuff)

Did you pull the rubber caps off the end of the coils and check for cracks/holes? Because as I said before I had the same car with the same problem. It was the coils, fresh plugs helped a little though. If you were in cairns I would wager money on it being the coils...