Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rear diff noisy/skipping teeth?

Decimate

I have the rear diff off my car - it\'s a 4.44 LSD, supposedly from a GTB. I bought it off a person on here who shall remain nameless for now.

When I spin one of the shafts lightly it seems OK, but when I put a bit more load on it (this is just by hand) the shaft starts grinding and skipping and the other side turns in the opposite direction. This happens no matter which side of the diff you are turning the shaft on.

When I compare it to a 4.11 diff I have off the car (it spins very smoothly and evenly, not to mention it doesnt make a noise at all and both shafts turn in the same direction....) I can\'t help but think this one is rooted?

I\'ve skipped through the service manual but the troubleshooting doesnt describe anything of the sort.

Any ideas?

funkytown said:

OP - cant help with diff identification, but just be careful you have the facts lined up and any unintentional mistakes confirmed before you kick off.

process thus far seems reasonably well thought out, just be sure you are comfortable with the diff identification.

Yep I see what you\'re saying, I might take it into Subaru for a final confirmation.

I will give him a couple of days to respond and will go from there, hopefully he comes to the party, I just cant see how someone who is mechanically minded enought ot remove the parts form the vehicle wouldnt know whether they\'re a) actually selling what they\'re claiming (LSD) or b) know that its making grinding noises anyway and that it\'s not right.

CUDDAS - how much you want for it mate? I could get it picked up??

Marky said:

Is this the one from a V4 that got wrecked?

Seller may have genuinely not known / driven the car before parting it out (yes I looked back your posts cause I was curious who sold it haha)

Just throwing that out there

Nope not that one - it was on trademe, by a guy with a unique name who exists on here in that same town with that not too common name so I\'m just guessing, I haven\'t drawn any conclusions yet and hence I\'m not whinging with the name until they\'ve had the chance to ignore me or be a dick about it :)

But yeah - it was advertised as an LSD diff from a GTB - came with a gearbox too which I hope isn\'t in the same condition.

And nope - no sticker at all which makes me a bit more suspicious. I can believe that someone might not know it\'s LSD, but if you turn the axels you can her it\'s fucked anyway...even a rookie would know that.

Looking at the pics and hearing what you say about wheel rotation. It is an open diff. ;) Does the RH stub have two splines?

All LSD diffs have a two spline stub on drivers side. Look through the centre as well. You should see a smaller spline apprx midway if it is LSD.

Visco LSD has a smaller internal spline than the plated type. ;)

Both LSD have the two spline setup as part of the CV "Cup"

Name N shame :o The seller!

titian said:

Looking at the pics and hearing what you say about wheel rotation. It is an open diff. ;) Does the RH stub have two splines?

All LSD diffs have a two spline stub on drivers side. Look through the centre as well. You should see a smaller spline apprx midway if it is LSD.

Visco LSD has a smaller internal spline than the plated type. ;)

Both LSD have the two spline setup as part of the CV "Cup"

Name N shame :o The seller!

Sweet, good to have the clarification. I\'ve just rung the seller and spoke to his brother and he\'s very puzzled as to how it got mixed up but has said he\'ll get me a 4.44 no stress so simple mistake all sorted now.

Thanks heaps everyone for the input as always

Hey mate,

That diff you have there is a viscous LSD. See the hole just under the crown wheel there, see how it is half "blanked off" and half spider gears? The "blanked off" bit is the LSD unit. I can see how people may be confused with a plated or mechanical LSD but that is definitely a viscous LSD.

SAS said:

Hey mate,

That diff you have there is a viscous LSD. See the hole just under the crown wheel there, see how it is half "blanked off" and half spider gears? The "blanked off" bit is the LSD unit. I can see how people may be confused with a plated or mechanical LSD but that is definitely a viscous LSD.

Sure is viscous LSD..

Yup, after speaking with the seller (farmside) and doing a few checks, it seems it is LSD after all (Checked crown wheel, removed axle subs etc). The diff is still making a racket thought and when you put any pressure on the driveshaft it slips and spins (alot like a clutch). He\'s kindly agreed to send me a new one and I\'m going to send him back this one to have a look at.

Hey man,

After reading your other posts on here, you\'re obviously putting a gtb box and diff in your BC. I notice in that picture you have stub axles in the diff, stub axles are an early design that were removed in favour of putting the splines on the CVs as i\'m sure you are aware. It\'s been a few years so don\'t quote me but if my memory serves me correct, you cannot put the stub axles from an early diff into a later one as the splines are different, which I think is what you have done?? Maybe this is what is causing the problems you are having with it. Just a thought.

hijacka']

[quote name='SAS said:

Hey mate,

/quote]

Sure is viscous LSD..

100%

have you checked the axles perhaps? have had the same problem with the rh axles the part that goes into the diff is actually different between the bc and the wrx and later legacys (the size of the BC spline is smaller and doesn\'t grip and skips around inside and makes bad noises) maybe your problem

• 2 weeks later...
 gtlegacy said:

have you checked the axles perhaps? have had the same problem with the rh axles the part that goes into the diff is actually different between the bc and the wrx and later legacys (the size of the BC spline is smaller and doesn\'t grip and skips around inside and makes bad noises) maybe your problem

This. And that\'s why I\'m glad I didn\'t call out the seller as wasn\'t their problem at all. I bought some GTB CV\'s and voila, noise gone, so totally my bad.

SAS said:

Hey man,

After reading your other posts on here, you\'re obviously putting a gtb box and diff in your BC. I notice in that picture you have stub axles in the diff, stub axles are an early design that were removed in favour of putting the splines on the CVs as i\'m sure you are aware. It\'s been a few years so don\'t quote me but if my memory serves me correct, you cannot put the stub axles from an early diff into a later one as the splines are different, which I think is what you have done?? Maybe this is what is causing the problems you are having with it. Just a thought.

Oh, credit to SAS too really, he spotted it first ;)