Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Twin engine Subaru?

scottiescottiescottie

Wondering if anyone has heard of or seen somewhere a twin engine legacy or impreza? One engine driving the front wheels another behind the driver powering the rear wheels.

Just wondering if it has been done befor and also what possible complications you could foresee? I see the linkages to the rear transaxle as one major challenge?

and theres a few twin motor golfs around too

even ignoring all the farting around with linkages etc, how would you physically fit the rear motor in - half the box poking out the back maybe? haha - and drivers arm resting on the rh head or something

sort of thing best done with an east west fwd motor which can be packaged properly, even then the "why bother" part of it comes to mind

It could possibly be done ;) Heard a guy up here in auck was going to try it. A wagon would probably be the best. Two Fwd gearboxes. Both engines facing away from each other,Rear engine gearbox flipped over (somehow) to provide forward drive. If two 4wd gearboxes were used you could "gear" the two together to achieve linked 4wd.

Gearchange with pneumatics.

Even with both engines facing forward it would prob fit in a wagon :D Just hard to "link" mechanically

Interesting concept. If its not been done? A kiwi just might do 8) 8)

stupid to consider with a subaru .

honda would be cool . epic with engines na and imagine with mild turbo

also high octane dvd found that twin engine toyota wagon 350 hp each end ...

if i won lotto id fully do it to an intagra type r ...

see the ute wagon driving around all the time . its awseome from some angles and fkn offensive from some other angles

also the pussy front diff wont put up with any amount of power and some weight transfer to the rear when installed in the rear

Marky']

even ignoring all the farting around with linkages etc, how would you physically fit the rear motor in - half the box poking out the back maybe? haha - and drivers arm resting on the rh head or something

There is plenty of room for box behind the rear wheels and engine in front of them behind the seats.

[quote name='Marky said:

sort of thing best done with an east west fwd motor which can be packaged properly, even then the "why bother" part of it comes to mind

Well I am a sheet metal engineer and its not hard for me to find a way to fit it physically etc.

So with that out the way a reliable 600HP subaru for MUCH less than a single 600HP subaru motor build seems a good incentive?

lachlan said:

stupid to consider with a subaru .

honda would be cool . epic with engines na and imagine with mild turbo

also high octane dvd found that twin engine toyota wagon 350 hp each end ...

if i won lotto id fully do it to an intagra type r ...

Na I think the opposite. Easy to do and cheap power. I will start designing it now.

• General Member
 lachlan said:

also the pussy front diff wont put up with any amount of power and some weight transfer to the rear when installed in the rear

dont make me post that Justy pic again : or the Mazda Mid mounted ute project : or the Mendeola VW\'s using fwd Subbie boxes

426301_535992943093512_1793446598_n.jpg

Twin motor ideas? RND1234 gearboxes and just floor it

Torque split between front and rear could be managed two ways.

Either a de-tuned front engine producing around 75% power compared to the rear...

Or with a little programming and DIY you could have an accelerometer controlling the computer of the front engine to shift between two states of tune depending on the G forces it is sensing. On a straight under WOT. full power. Sensing lateral G forces? 75% power.

I don\'t think this is as crazy or difficult an idea as it seems at first glance... TransmIssuon is the trick but not crazy difficult. I am already planning! Give me a few years and it might Just happen :~)