Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Other ways of making the air flow better with airpod filter

STARZ_ALDAY

There\'s a guide on here somewhere (in the FAQ thing?) for how to check what the check engine light is for. If you are getting a check engine light there\'s something wrong the car knows about - best to take it easy until you find out what the problem is. It\'s just a matter of plugging in the two green plugs under the drivers\' dashboard and the car will tell you what it\'s crying about

Some pod filters can stuff up subaru air flow meters - if they\'re an oiled type (most are) then they can dirty it which stuffs it, same goes for if the meter is just flapping around, they don\'t like it much either and they die or go faulty. Most people just stick with the factory airbox cause it won\'t cause these problems and most of the time you go backwards in power with a pod filter

The air flow meter is the thingy the pod filter is bolted on to - the tubey bit with the plug on the side - if it goes dud it means the car doesn\'t know how much air is coming in (or thinks it\'s different to how much actually is), and won\'t run properly - in some cases it can be enough to damage a motor

I\'m good at technical language

Edit - also - holes in intercooler piping - jesus - yes get those fixed that will be 100% causing problems and check engine lights, it does all manner of things to how the car runs and none of them are good things

Can someone do a scientifically accurate test on the difference between pod and non pod (stock) temperatures before afm and after intercooler?

Your turbo gets hot and heat transfers so you wouldn\'t think it would matter so much because the intercooler would cool down the compressed air.

reaperblitz said:

Can someone do a scientifically accurate test on the difference between pod and non pod (stock) temperatures before afm and after intercooler?

Your turbo gets hot and heat transfers so you wouldn\'t think it would matter so much because the intercooler would cool down the compressed air.

Pretty sure its been tested back to back here and stock airbox worked better. Its pretty logical that the colder in the colder out. My fmic works better than a lot from logging and Im pod in bay with no feed pipe. Cruising/light boost its about 10-14deg with 20-24deg outside temp. None of my piping runs over the top of anything hot though its at the front and side of the engine bay so would stay relatively cool.

it does make a difference, not huge but its there. ive tried mine back to back with pod in bay vs guard and its a massive difference at low speed (like under 50) - at pace the engine bay has enough airflow it makes no difference to things. didnt make much difference to on boost temps but at cruise and heat soaking in traffic its noticably worse

simple fix is shield pod or move it into the guard, which is piss easy to do with a subaru with a bit of straight pipe and a 90 bend - then you get all the sucky noises yay

the OTHER thing the hot air does is make the ecu read intake temp as engine bay temp not ambient - pulls timing to cope when it doesnt need to (on most cars intake temp is measured at afm, only aftermarket measures at manifold)

reaperblitz said:

Close enough:

Divine']

[quote name='reaperblitz said:

/quote]

Close enough:

Already been a thread on that. I think its horseshit. Testing sitting still isnt going to show shit.

yeah those guys are good at youtube but not good at results off the dyno - youd be amazed how much air still flows around the engine bay at speed

ive done plenty of testing over the years with thermocouples etc, so long as it gets fresh air over it, it works, the issue is heat soak without that airflow and its doubly worse in a subaru with a topmounted interheater

if its just jammed in a corner with no airflow, of course itll suck hot air - but some airboxes genuinely do present a restriction and there are gains in removing it and replacing with a larger / cone element

some airboxes are great - depends on the car

I had a seperator air box setup with my fmic and pod filter. I also have a 80mm flexible cold air pipe from my bumper vent to the engine bay.

I had my car dynoed with the seperator and without and my tuner said it made no difference. I just left it out and removed the rubber strip under the headlight

Stoffa said:

I had a seperator air box setup with my fmic and pod filter. I also have a 80mm flexible cold air pipe from my bumper vent to the engine bay.

I had my car dynoed with the seperator and without and my tuner said it made no difference. I just left it out and removed the rubber strip under the headlight

Probably made no dif coz you had the pipe for it to feed through so didnt suck any through engine bay. Its crazy how much it sucks out of the guard.

I have my factory airbox getting air feed from inner guard with delete of resonator. I found though when I completely blocked off inner fender from engine bay it was not getting enough air and would run super rich at wot. I unblocked the hole were the pipe goes from headlight to fender and it runs fine.