Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2006 Subaru Legacy GT-B 6 speed manual

matty640

Hi there,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 2006 Subaru Legacy GT-B 6 speed manual which is in very condition for 198000kms on the clock but am a bit iffy having previously owned 2 mid 90\'s gt-bs and experiencing a few common issues with both although they had less km\'s on the clock.

Does anyone own 1 of these or similar BP5 wagon models that has experienced any major issues at higher km\'s? I have tried to do a bit of research but cant find much info on them and I just want to cover all my sources before I jump into anything. Beauty of a car to drive by the way no doubt about that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

High kms but if the price is right and your happy with it id go for it. My car is in the same boat ; 2007 with 180kms on it but you would never know it - hot km running and pretty much a one driver vehicle so is virtually untouched.

With those kind of kms on the GTB you would expect the same and the engine in fairly good nick. As for items such as cv\'s, clutch etc most of the parts that have worn most likely have been replaced already.

Hope this helps, more opinions than facts here but ;) . .

I purchased a 2005 3.0R 6spd two months ago, it had done 151000kms at the time. NZ new with full service history, no major work had been done to it apart from scheduled servicing. At the last service they replaced the front control arm bushings, that was it.

Have since put on another 6000kms with no issues at all, car is solid.

late 90\'s cars with close to 200,000 kms on them are VERY different to modern mid-late 2000 cars with those kms. I don\'t know if its better build standards or better fuel or better everything but when you drive a 90\'s car (which I would consider all the twin turb leggies) they really seem to carry the kms hard but I have driven a couple of the new shape leggys (2003-2007) with 200,000 and one with 300,000kms and they all felt tight as a drum.

If it has a good service history and you get it inspected by someone then there is NO reason why it won\'t do another 100-200,000kms with no major issues.

There are several guys on the US subie sites with over 300,000 MILES (500,000) kms that are still on original engine and gearbox with no major issues.

remember age and kms are two very different things

for a late 2000s model to go to the moon and back its likely led a life of long drives, a late 90s one with 10 years more to do the kms will have been much more "used" in comparison

a better way look at it is km per year maybe

back on topic i have no idea, not many owners of them on here - heeeaps on aussie liberty forums though for a non-american perspective

funkytown said:

the build quality gets better over time im sure right, but a 2005-7 car in ten years time with 200 on the clock wont be as tidy as one now with 200 on the clock right...

yup, I know exactly what you are saying but for me I the point still stands, I am old enough that I have driven 90\'s cars with 200kms on them in the early 2000\'s (a 10 year old car with 200kms) and I have driven a 2003 new shape legacy with 200,000kms last year, both cars were the same age but I just seem to remember the 90s car felt much more tired, then again that is only one example, anyway I don\'t want to argue with anyone on the net, its about as useful as monkeys throwing poo.

My point simply is more modern cars seem to be able to tolerate high kms better than their older counterparts.

lunchie']

[quote name='funkytown said:

the build quality gets better over time im sure right, but a 2005-7 car in ten years time with 200 on the clock wont be as tidy as one now with 200 on the clock right...

/quote]

yup, I know exactly what you are saying but for me I the point still stands, I am old enough that I have driven 90\'s cars with 200kms on them in the early 2000\'s (a 10 year old car with 200kms) and I have driven a 2003 new shape legacy with 200,000kms last year, both cars were the same age but I just seem to remember the 90s car felt much more tired, then again that is only one example, anyway I don\'t want to argue with anyone on the net, its about as useful as monkeys throwing poo.

My point simply is more modern cars seem to be able to tolerate high kms better than their older counterparts.

I see your statement and raise you a humble starlet....the car that still runs the same after a billion shopping trips!!!

toyota_starlet.jpg

lunchie']

/quote]

when the newer car is then of similar age to the old car.. come back and tell us how tired it is. 100% going to be more tired than it is right now thats for sure.

funkytown']

/quote]

when the newer car is then of similar age to the old car.. come back and tell us how tired it is. 100% going to be more tired than it is right now thats for sure.

I totally agree, but will you concede that the 2003-2007 shape legacy is most likely going to be more reliable overall as kms get higher than the previous shape assuming both treated equally?

Its all about previous owners, If hes treated it like a bag of sh*t then the car will most likely be a bag of sh#t.

Service history is everything, as well as gauging how much the previous owner loved the car. Things wear out a lot faster on cold start WOT...

Another reason i will never buy from a car yard..

Thats my 2c anyway...

kms are far from a good indicator for me, within reason

you could have the car with 50k on the clock which gets fanged from cold daily, driven 8k to work, then repeat and thats it

or the same year/model done 200k almost all of which are hot running driving 80k each morning and night

or the one done 100, which has had a life of going over judder bumps, idling in traffic, hitting curbs, being rowed through the gears around town, pulling trailers on the weekend and so on

all 3 could look and drive immaculately but which one is going to have the least wear? probably the higher km one

the life a car leads shows its age too - the one which regularly gets 3 kids and the dog crammed in will have juuuust a few more creaks & rattles than the one driven by mister or mrs single alone most of its life