Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Having a lol

Decimate

Mate went to pick up his V6 STi from a local garage after having a replacement \'V6 STi\' engine put in it. I took one look and said ahhh that\'s not an STi mate, in the spare parts they threw in the flex plate from the auto trans lol and the non-sti manifold. Went to the garage today and spoke to the owner who was a total wank stain about it and ended up threatening me after I told him apparently I know alot more about Subarus then he did.

Anyway, he said he\'d \'check up on the engine with the supplier as he\'s not totally sure about the exact difference between Subaru engines\' The supplier then called him direct and admitted it was from a Forester (can\'t recall the model # but will get it) and that it was \'way better andwill give you no troubles\' and that V6 STi bottom ends were s***.

Funnily enough after 15kms the engine is literally spewing piles of oil around, the garage put it on the hoist and hello rear crank mail seal.

What I\'m trying to work out is how that supplier could possibly claim it\'s a better engine. Is it CDB? Semi-Open?

For a start it\'s probably running a higher compression ratio which isn\'t ideal. Not to mention I don\'t think it would have the same factory forged internals? Probably not built to see 1 bar either.

It is the same phase-2 engine though as it has the staggered manifold bolts but year but what I\'m generally after is whether or not there was some freak 98-02 Forestor engine out there which could possibly be \'way better\' than a stock V6 STi one.

Cheers, Tim

Tell him you paid for a v6 STi engine and that\'s what you expect. Simple as that, or your money back. No arbitrator or regulatory body in NZ would see it otherwise, and he knows it. He needs to suck it up and accept he has a legal obligation to rectify his mistake.

Is he an MTA member?

I guess it\'s gonna be a bit of a bastard to fix too - mechanic would have probably in good faith ordered and installed engine, where the fault lies is what actually was requested and delivered

Or mechanic may have simply asked for cheapest ej20t which would bolt in

Curly one - most people would never have known either

There is so much wrong with the situation it\'s not funny.

Just to confirm a few things though;

*It is my mate and not my car, therefore I completely trust his word but I did not negotiate the initial engine swap deal.

*The garage is Gourdie Automotive, Waimea Rd, Nelson. MTA Member.

*I went along as a support person for my mate as he doesn\'t know as much about Subaru\'s, as soon as I started pointing out things wrong with the car to the owner (John Gourdie) his heckles went right up and he said he didn\'t see a reason for me being there and that he\'d only deal with my mate.

*I told him to get stuffed and I was entitled to be there to assist my mate he said well you better step outside my workshop because I dont want you in there.

*Queue lots of bullshit him being a general asshole to my mate and I.

*Blame gets laid on supplier who apparently supplied a \'V6 engine as requested\' when I pointed out it was a V6 STi engine asked for, he got fired up again.

*Blah blah blah, get kicked out.

*After my mate being alot more humble then the wanker deserved, the mechanic agrees to put it on the hoist and take a look.

*Leave my mate to it and I hang around outside within earshot. Mechanic claims he doesn\'t know anything about Subarus and that if there was a problem with the engine he\'d fix it (I piped up and said don\'t bother fixing the engine, REPLACE THE F%&*KING THING) mechanic then goes nuts again and threatens me.

*Fast forward a few minutes of me pacing around and my mate shadowing the clown still being alot more polite then he should, the mechanic eventually acknowledges that he\'ll have to keep the car and have a better look into the leak but it looks like the rear main seal. Says he\'ll also talk to the engine supplier and he\'ll let him know.

*Fast forward 3 hours. My mate gets a call direct from the engine supplier (WTF, he should only have to deal with the party he contracted to undertake the work yea). Engine supplier clown claims bullshit as per first post THEN tells him if he wants a proper STi engine it\'ll be 3grand (not 1.5k as originally quoted, and it somehow doesn\'t make sense that he\'d sell a supposed \'s***\' engine for twice the price? Mate rings mechanic back who says well I don\'t know about engines so I trust the engine supplier but we will get leak fixed in an attempt to be the hero and I am guessing fob him off.

HA.

So, sounds like off to MTA mediation for my mate.

As you said, there was a verbal agreement that your friend would get a v6 Sti engine. This didn\'t happen, use the law and get it sorted. Your friend is in the right from what has been told, there is no point in heated and to be honest, that makes things look a lot worse for your friend.

That is utter BS. Ask for the engine to be removed and a full refund and take your car and money elsewhere. Obviously at fault and doesn\'t know enough about subarus to rectify the mistake. The difference between those 2 engines is fairly significant... semi forged internals better cams/heads bigger inter cooler turbo injectors ect.

Also can\'t confirm this but read on here that the auto replacements are common for smoking on deceleration so I\'d be looking into that as well

This just gets funnier. Mate emailed the suppliers asking them to confirm what was so majical about the engine and how it compared to an sti. This is the response (From Roscos dismantlers):

I quote verbatim and unedited:

"motor should have forged pistons. im not sure about block but is out around 2002 turbo sg forester .they are subarus best turbo engine"

the sti forester (circa 2002-2004) engine was the EJ257...

the xt was a 2.0, the sti was a 2.5 with a small ish turbo. forester = soccer mum friendly lol

and if that\'s the case (supplied engine) it\'ll be a non forged xt engine, which is basically the same as the wrx (non sti) engine

Unfortunately the MTA won\'t do bugger all, it\'s just like Master builder (Electrician, Plumber) As long as you pay a fee you can put their organisations name on your signs, It\'s just a useless club, I don\'t have any mechanical qualifications but i have frequently been asked by qualified mechanics (Some MTA members) asking basic stuff they should know and have fixed some shocking bodge jobs.

Best bet is small claims court, It\'s a pain but about the only way to get anything done.

I have dealt with Roscoes before and although they seem to attempt to buy every Subaru they can from Turners damaged vehicle auctions (sometimes for stupid high prices) they don\'t know a lot about them, Their usual answer is do you have a part number and they simply compare part for part. They tried to tell me that there is no such thing as a 2.5L SOHC EJ251 fitted to a BH Legacy, And also that no subarus were fitted with factory immobiliser. (my car is a EJ251 sohc with factory transponder immobiliser)

sirwrx']

[quote name='lachlan said:

Thats interesting. A 98 version 7 motor.

considering they only came out in 2000.

If you read it again it more or less states that it\'s out of a 98 and at some stage has been rebuilt / forged meaning to me that its just a replacement engine, the car obviously never came out with that :P