Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car suddenly wont go into gear

OK, so this isn\'t related to my gearbox conversion thread as that\'s my other BC.

Last time I drove my RS (about 1km around the block - this was just after bleeding the clutch) the gearbox was immaculate - like a hot knife through butter.

I went to start it over the weekend and it starts fine, but I simply cannot get it into gear while the engine is running. If I attempt to put it into reverse it crunches loudly but wont go in. I have tried pumping the clutch pedal to build up pressure but there is no change.

I re-bled the system about 3 x times, and clutch pedal pressure is good but it makes no difference. There is plenty of clutch fluid in there.

The only odd thing I noticed was that if I opened the bonnet after I\'d shut the car down and checked the slave for play, I could push the little rod back into the slave with just finger pressure. It shouldn\'t do that should it? The result when doing this is that the clutch reservoir fills up slightly. Is it possible there\'s some air in the system that I can\'t get out? There is no sign of leakage around the slave either when testing for play.

The main reason I\'m scratching my head so much is because like I mentioned, last time I drove it, it was perfect, now it doesn\'t want to go anywhere.

Help please!!!

Well, re-bled clutch today with assistance from wifey to try and get any air out, no good. It does seem as though the rod isn\'t fully pushing the clutch fork right through it\'s full throw though. Buggered if I know why though. Am going to swap slaves with other BC and see if that helps.

When I first started my car up yonks ago; it wouldn\'t go in gear while running or come out of gear or reverse; had to turn it off to do those; Just drove it a bit; it was kind of ceased after ages of inactivity, but it came right after a few minutes driving; start; put in gear drive forward; turn off, in reverse drive etc. etc.

Might not be the same issue; but you never know.

94 Leone']

When I first started my car up yonks ago; it wouldn\'t go in gear while running or come out of gear or reverse; had to turn it off to do those; Just drove it a bit; it was kind of ceased after ages of inactivity, but it came right after a few minutes driving; start; put in gear drive forward; turn off, in reverse drive etc. etc.

Might not be the same issue; but you never know.

My twinplate clutch seizes sometimes (car is parked up a lot) which causes the same symptoms. I\'m not sure if this applies to a factory clutch though. still thinking about that one :)

[quote name='Decimate said:

Well, re-bled clutch today with assistance from wifey to try and get any air out, no good. It does seem as though the rod isn\'t fully pushing the clutch fork right through it\'s full throw though. Buggered if I know why though. Am going to swap slaves with other BC and see if that helps.

Clutches can be a pain to bleed properly. once your slave is off the car, you can pull it apart and clean it out. its probably nasty as ;p

Also once the slave is removed, make sure the fork is acting on the clutch. there should be a small amount of slop then IMPOSSIBRU! as you are working against the clutch pressure plate. That should point to the hydraulics being at fault.

putting my money on air in the system or a leak in the slave cylinder

*hint* when bleeding, press the slave piston right back inside the bore to eject all the muck and air. also, when you are finished, make sure the slave is loaded as you tighten the nipple. i usually use a piece of wood between the piston and fork.

hmm. i just tried to explain the bleed procedure but i find it\'s more of a show than a tell lol

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Well I swapped slaves and re-bled for the millionth time, still no difference. I can roll the car in neutral but not with it in gear and the clutch in.

Out of curiosity I put the old slave on my other BC and that one works fine (i.e. can roll the car while in gear and clutch in) - interestingly enough the clutch pedal on this car feels nowhere near as tight as the other, it feels all spongy, but still seems to be doing the trick there the other is not.

I would try starting it while in gear with the clutch in but don\'t want to sent it into the neighbours yard. Really not sure where to from here. Really really dont want to have to take gearbox out again :(

???

so you are getting enough clutch fork throw from the slave?

once bleed, clutch to the floor, does the slave extend and hold its position or does it slowly retract? (suggesting a leak in the system)

umm personally i\'d be looking at the master next, not too much work to remove that

then i suppose you need to start looking at the clutch itself. sad panda

Good point, I\'ll check the throw vs what\'s in the manual (I presume it should be in the service manual). Although comparing the two cars, the throw on the one that is working seems like its less if anything but can\'t hurt to measure.

Regarding play in the shaft yep even with someone sitting in the car with the clutch depressed you can wiggle the shaft back - but there\'s no visible leak from slave.

Sounds like it\'s time to look at the master. Are most Subaru masters swappable?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around tomoving the car to a place where I could start it in gear where it wouldn\'t rick slamming into a wall or neighbours yard. Did the trick, start in 2nd with the clutch in and it did a 50cm lurch foeward then came unstuck. Took it for another spin around the block and the drivetrain at least is happy for now....the engines another story!