• Elf 5/30
    • Penrite HPR 5w40
    • Elf Competition FT 10w40
    • Lucas 20w50 mineral
    • Royal Purple 5w30
    • Gulf Western 10w40 semi synthetic
    • Motul 300V Chrono 10W/40

Disclaimer

This thread only serves to give a rough idea on what oil people use in their car and does not at all represent a recommendation for what grade and brand oil you should use in your car.

Engine oil is an area where there is no one oil to rule them all.

This thread was written by a Monkey and takes no accountability for any damage or problems you may encounter.

Purpose

There has been a lot of discussion about what oil should be used in a Subaru, so this poll has been created to give anyone an idea of what the people at ClubSub use. This should hopefully aid in the decision process when choosing a suitable oil.

I don\'t see my oil listed?

PM me or post in the thread. A mod or I will update the poll.

Oil Change Interval

It\'s best to check a service manual for you model for the interval time. But as a rule of thumb, it\'s best to change your oil every 5000-7400K or every 6 months, which ever comes first. However this may have to be more frequent or less depending on driving style. If you push your car quite often, consider changing your oil more frequently

Change your oil filter when your change you oil, you\'re under the car and might a well do it at the same time.

I don\'t trust this pole and would like to see a recommendation from a credible source

Castrol guide: Here

Pentrite guide: Here

Don\'t forget to check you oil level regularly and top up if necessary. Engine oil is critical to keeping your engine happy and the dreaded BeB failure at bay.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone post a scan of the spec in the manual for their model. I obviously dont have a manual.

I run a SI 10W40 semi syn agip formula 3000 in v7 sti short with no avcs.

Ran it in everything turbo Ive owned and change every 5,000km or sooner. Changed it a few times in wrx so far and I dont think its even done 5thou in my possesion.

I think you should change the poll to what spec oil kind of more appropiate but swings both ways I guess. Higher km cars need thicker oil etc.

chappell943']

Have been using Valvoline Synpower synthetic 5w-40 for the past 27,000kms in mine without issues and never burns a drop.

Added to the poll

Someone post a scan of the spec in the manual for their model. I obviously dont have a manual.

I run a SI 10W40 semi syn agip formula 3000 in v7 sti short with no avcs.

Ran it in everything turbo Ive owned and change every 5,000km or sooner. Changed it a few times in wrx so far and I dont think its even done 5thou in my possesion.

I think you should change the poll to what spec oil kind of more appropiate but swings both ways I guess. Higher km cars need thicker oil etc.

For some people, like me, it\'s easier to get an idea of what a good oil is by brand and grade. When I read "SI 10W40 semi syn agip formula 3000" I pick up that it\'s 10W40, semi-synthetic, but no idea what else you\'re talking about.

I can add just grade/weighting options later on if others would like it too though.

[quote name='boon said:

Magnatec 5w30 every 5000kms.

Added.

Johnnynz said:

Oh god here we go again...

I\'ll be keeping an eye on the thread and if I feel things are going sour, I\'ll make the call to lock the thread. But for now, lets keep those thoughts to ourselves.

nickmcgill said:

Penrite 5w-40 fully synthetic.

Recommended by engine builders to use this.

I was running Castrol 10w40 on the old engine but switched to Castrol 5w30 edge about 3 oil changes before the BeB.

Hard to say if related or not.

Must ask Richard to tear down the block and see if he can find signs of what could of caused the BeB.