Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

RWD pros and cons

wrx_rwd said:

You could put a supra gearbox in like my wrx. All i need now is a cusco datto r160 diff and better halfshafts and I can crank up the power a bit, im only running 12psi atm, still making 260hp atw tho :)

a cusco r160 diff wont last any longer than your standard one, you would only be changing the diff head, the weak point in the last one i blew was the pinion shaft bearings and the small ring/pinion gears, better off upgrading to either a sti r180 or go the whole hog and fit a nissan r200 diff. im also rwd by the way.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea ive thought about doing a full nissan rear end. ive heard of someone putting a s15 rear subframe in a gc8. Having that and my supra gearbox would make a pretty good drivetrain and I could think about running more boost.

wrx_rwd said:

Yea ive thought about doing a full nissan rear end. ive heard of someone putting a s15 rear subframe in a gc8. Having that and my supra gearbox would make a pretty good drivetrain and I could think about running more boost.

Guy at my old work, his mate had his WRX with S15 rear subframe ( He kept blowing diffs and cvs etc, So he got it converted it over ) . Hes was a drifter. I dont know if he still has it...

I left my old work 6months ago so dont get any updates on it.

As far as i know it cost him a load to fit it.

Old Skool Subbie']

[quote name='wrx_rwd said:

/quote]

Guy at my old work, his mate had his WRX with S15 rear subframe ( He kept blowing diffs and cvs etc, So he got it converted it over ) . Hes was a drifter. I dont know if he still has it...

I left my old work 6months ago so dont get any updates on it.

As far as i know it cost him a load to fit it.

wouldnt cost too much if you did it yourself tho, have seen modified factory subframes fitted with the s15 rear diff.

zarnah said:

Con's - Besides the mechanical issues that have been mentioned. Anyone who owns a skyline, supra, or a RX7 can do better skids and think your a twat for not doing it properly, 100% of sane people in subis will look at you like your a twat for ruining a perfectly good awd car.

Once again get it setup properly and you should easily do just as good a skid as any skyline/supra/rx7 etc, got a nice vid on my phone of my wagon alongside my mates s5 rx7 both smoking the bags, can you post vids on here? how?

so you can set a car up better than the people at subaru, that designed the car? They would've spent a lot of time and money (alot more than you would've) to set that car up so they handle like they do. AWD FTW.

Depends what the point of the car is...

People at subaru 'a safe car to drive safely to the ski fields in'

Other people 'something to go screaming sideways to the gates of hell in'

You cant use that arguement that strongly (if its that good, why didnt manufacturers do it) on anything other than fuel economy.

e.g.

- decent rollcage makes car safer - but costs $$$ and needs helmet to drive - so wasnt done by manufacturer.

- 2.5" exhaust makes better power - but doesnt meet emmission standards

- the wimpy seat isnt that good for holding - but a race seat cant fit fattasses - and making one that couldnt would be discrimination.

for most manufacturers - there priority is something like price-safety-economy-emissions-saleability etc... and somewhere near the bottom of pile - power.

for most enthusiasts - power-handling-looks-noise-....-....-(finishing with)-practicality-economy.

so you can set a car up better than the people at subaru, that designed the car? They would've spent a lot of time and money (alot more than you would've) to set that car up so they handle like they do. AWD FTW.

so what your'e saying is that everything subaru put into their cars is a better item than aftermarket? ie: their standard suspension/swaybars etc are going to handle better than a set of JIC or Tien adjustable coilovers and cusco swaybars? LOL Read the post dude we are talking about setting up a car as best as possible for a RWD setup

nzkaosnz said:

for most manufacturers - there priority is something like price-safety-economy-emissions-saleability etc... and somewhere near the bottom of pile - power.

for most enthusiasts - power-handling-looks-noise-....-....-(finishing with)-practicality-economy.

Its cause Accountants design cars. The Engineers are just there the make the Accountants ideas a reality.

• General Member
 Old Skool Subbie']

[quote name='Joker said:

But wiil that even make it to production now? Since the way every thing is they mite Just scrap the project just be to much monney?

Im really guessing here but wouldnt the design and original fabrication be the expensive part of a new car? Surely if they thought they had a market the hard part financialy is out of the way by the time you hit production?

Im hoping they go through with it, I like the shape. I would probably look at buying one of these either new or a year or so into them being out.

Guest loren
 keltik said:

I'd hit it. I heard it was going to be offered with either a Toyota or 2.5 Subaru motor....dont know which id choose

simple. the one with the most ponies.

Guest loren
 keltik said:

Would you trade a couple ponies for a lower chance of piston slap or blown big ends? Or maybe a few more mpg's?

Personally i dont think it will happen. Subaru dont seem to like doing new things

2 ponies? no.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with a rwd conversion had it certed? I just went to see the cert man just so he could point anything out that may need doing before he certs it, he said mechanically it is all good, the only thing he wants me to do it put in an extra driveshaft loop halfway along the driveshaft just to be a bit safer, but he also said that rules have changed for rwd conversions now and any car that was originally 4wd has to pass a rigorous braking test now that many fail!!!! arggggghhhh hope my standard rears and sti 4 pots up front are upm to the task!! he said that he certed a mazda gtx for the rwd conversion and the guy ended up having to put bigger brakes up front and a aftermarket brake bias controller etc to pass =big dollars!!!

hmmm i havent had mine certed but am up for a wof next month, however i was under the impression it didnt neen to be certed, i must go see my friends across the road and see if they will still pass it.

are you going for a cert because you failed a wof or just to be safe?

i dont see how making a car 2wd from 4wd would affect the braking at all. i dont feel any difference.

• General Member
 keltik said:

I'd hit it. I heard it was going to be offered with either a Toyota or 2.5 Subaru motor....dont know which id choose

Thats a toughie tbh, Mates TT Supra has taken an absolute beating for over 100 thou now (engines got 250 on the clock) and it just takes it day in and day out.

But I also heard the Subi powered model would be turbo, and the Toyota variant not. So unless it came with a lexus V8 in it (unlikely) I think I would go with Subi powered.

hmmm i havent had mine certed but am up for a wof next month, however i was under the impression it didnt neen to be certed, i must go see my friends across the road and see if they will still pass it.

i dont see how making a car 2wd from 4wd would affect the braking at all. i dont feel any difference.

Yea mine has passed a couple wof as it is but with the cops clamping down on "boyracer" cars etc I just want it certed to be on the safe side. Mine doesnt feel any different under brakes either, the cert man said he hasnt done a suby yet but it should be ok he was just warning me that there MIGHT be a posibility it will need some work in the braking department. Ive got my sti 4 pots and big rotors on up front and new pads all round now, the thing stops on a dime! think I might ask a mate with a standard 4wd legacy the same year to come along to the cert so the certifier can take his for a blat and compare because mine definately stops way way quicker than his.

zarnah said:

Yea mine has passed a couple wof as it is but with the cops clamping down on "boyracer" cars etc I just want it certed to be on the safe side. Mine doesnt feel any different under brakes either, the cert man said he hasnt done a suby yet but it should be ok he was just warning me that there MIGHT be a posibility it will need some work in the braking department. Ive got my sti 4 pots and big rotors on up front and new pads all round now, the thing stops on a dime! think I might ask a mate with a standard 4wd legacy the same year to come along to the cert so the certifier can take his for a blat and compare because mine definately stops way way quicker than his.

i have just called nostalgia motors in hamz (recommended by my wof man) who are low volume certifiers, they say they have just recieved new regulations that requires us people who have rwd conversions to have a cert, the guy said nothing extra has to be done as long as everything is safe and secure.

I would definately be keen on a RWD conversion in my car (gen1 legacy)

But if I'd do it i'd do it properly thats for sure, I.e; upgrade cvs to a higher tensile metal by getting custom ones mate, and probably get a diff from a wrx and have it rebuilt with much stronger parts, the 6speed dccd gearbox would be mint to have to but fark those things cost a fuck load (but worth it imo)

Meh, my car is still auto so RWD is a long way off for me, but hey I can always put the fuse in and go FWD (ahaha..not)

My car makes all 4 spin in the wet easily, with boost on standard and 215/40/r17 directional tyres, drifting in the wet is sooo sweet with 4wd, its so hard to loose control lol, its like its 4wd is ment for drifting

if your a noob and you drifting your rwd skyline there is a 95% chance is going to wrap right around that telephone pole / over that curb

I hope your only drifting on the track as thats just as bad as speeding ;)

drifting in the wet isn't a issue with most cars a think you'll find especially in a auto, speaking from experience the legacy loved the wet lol.

good ideas on the upgrades but like you said a tad expensive.

• 2 months later...
 Old Skool Subbie']

[quote name='Joker said:

But wiil that even make it to production now? Since the way every thing is they mite Just scrap the project just be to much monney?

A lil while go I had read some where they desided to pull the plug on this project :(

Does any one know if that is a myth?