Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WRX Boost tap options?

Ive got a stock 96 WRX. I was thinking of a boost tap as a cheap way to get more grunt out of it. I have a boost gauge so can monitor boost levels. Any recommendations on manual boost controllers and/or max safe boost for a stock td04?

A boost guage is not what you need. Its called a wideband. Boost cut on my V5 non sti cut was at 15psi and stock 12ish. TBH very hard to feel the difference without tuning probably more of a placebo. You would just have to tweak it till you find out what boost cut is then knock it back a click or two then on a cold night you will likely hit boost cut :-\

Man just buy a scarles ball & spring tap for $30 (they are literally the same as the GFB / turbosmart stuff - ball, spring, windy knob, done) and if you\'re real worried about all the above get it set via dyno - most places will charge you like a bit over a hundy to chuck it on, wind it up and see where it stops being wee and into ohhh

So long as it stays in the "weee" bit then you\'re sweet

for what its worth you\'re better off spending $200 on a bigger chur bro and make more horseypowerses with same boostys / less risk

Marky said:

Man just buy a scarles ball & spring tap for $30 (they are literally the same as the GFB / turbosmart stuff - ball, spring, windy knob, done) and if you\'re real worried about all the above get it set via dyno - most places will charge you like a bit over a hundy to chuck it on, wind it up and see where it stops being wee and into ohhh

So long as it stays in the "weee" bit then you\'re sweet

for what its worth you\'re better off spending $200 on a bigger chur bro and make more horseypowerses with same boostys / less risk

More power along with bigger risk isnt it? Throwing a whole heap more air in untuned that it doesnt expect? I went to vf23 from td04 untuned and had quicker spool and more power all over with no drop off up top.

AFM still handles the "expect" part so you keep the airflow - related cuts

the removal of the TD04 means cooler charge temp - doesnt just supercook the air when you wind up the boosty boosty

Little turbo runs out of puff / efficiency / turboness whatever you call it, starts to cook air, no more power gained with more PSI

Big turbo - more power on same boost assuming its more efficient and holds it more up top

Plus sounds cooler when spooling (v important)

My boost is always much lower on a cold night, up to 4psi difference on stock solenoid and with a boost tap it barely even boosted 6psi.

Tap won\'t make it go bang but when you don\'t have much room to play with before boost cut I wonder if raising it is worth it.

Though boost onset does feel better with a boost tap and it doesn\'t drop off the same in high revs

Roo said:

My boost is always much lower on a cold night, up to 4psi difference on stock solenoid and with a boost tap it barely even boosted 6psi.

Tap won\'t make it go bang but when you don\'t have much room to play with before boost cut I wonder if raising it is worth it.

Though boost onset does feel better with a boost tap and it doesn\'t drop off the same in high revs

Also a key bit

Decent ball & spring tap (or whatever) will have a "faster" car even on same boost by giving you faster spool and holding it stable better

Marky said:

AFM still handles the "expect" part so you keep the airflow - related cuts

the removal of the TD04 means cooler charge temp - doesnt just supercook the air when you wind up the boosty boosty

Little turbo runs out of puff / efficiency / turboness whatever you call it, starts to cook air, no more power gained with more PSI

Big turbo - more power on same boost assuming its more efficient and holds it more up top

Plus sounds cooler when spooling (v important)

I have a comp map for stock TD04 for V5/6 if I knew how to read it properly we could pass judgement on exactly where it falls over. Wouldnt have thought 14psi tho.

Yip i get the bigger cfm keeping it cooler but big gains had tuned. Im kind of obsessed with tuning its pretty much the best power mod you can do in my short exp. The whole running evo afm/ecu/injectors made my car go backwards from tuned gsr setup running the same TD05. Didnt get a chance to tune it with the bigger injectors.

Sounds cool winding down when bb but not imo. My VF23 never fell over it held full boost right to the redline as did TD04.

get a bigger exhaust if u can afford

and yea maybe no more than 14psi on a td04 be a good idea

a boost tap with a few more psi does feel faster - dunno what others are on abt not being any faster ???

as long as dont overdo it

and test it in the cold as well cos in the cold the boost climbs a bit more so adjust for that and u should be laughing away..

SP00N said:

get a bigger exhaust if u can afford

and yea maybe no more than 14psi on a td04 be a good idea

a boost tap with a few more psi does feel faster - dunno what others are on abt not being any faster ???

as long as dont overdo it

and test it in the cold as well cos in the cold the boost climbs a bit more so adjust for that and u should be laughing away..

I know what Im on about it not feeling faster I did it lol. Notice the difference between internal pressure and 12psi but not between 12 and 14.#psi. A few or more psi you would want to be tuning it. Cheap mod tho.

a few pounds on a AFM car usually is ok..the ecu will handle it fine..the GC8 ecu does fine with it anyway

any more than that psi and yep asking for a tune

obviously a tune will be best but its not going to be an issue for a few psi for some quickness to be gained

i personally wud rather the boost and tune option everytime but a few quick psi wont hurt.. especially if on a really tight budget

PS. "few psi" = 2 maybe 3 if u wana push it