Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel for EZ30

nickmcgill

Morning,

I\'ve got a work friend who recently got a 2004 (I think) Leggy with a EZ30.

Can people give suggestions as to what the best fuel is to run in this ?

I suggested Z 95/V-Power as I\'ve heard good things about it and my TT actually runs better on it than it doe on the BP 98.

Currently it\'s running on generic 91.

Cheers.

from personal XP putting 91 in the EZ motor makes them ping their tits off.

for this reason i would run 95 minimum, and on the odd occasion gull has E10 for cheaps the EZ also seems to like this and picks up a very small amount of pep.

tl:dr 95 is where its at.

I got mine tuned for 95 and it could\'ve picked up a lot more power with 98. 91 is a shit spec fuel and has been discontinued in most countries. NZ should do the same. Replace all the 91 pumps with 95 and all the 95 pumps with 98....then fancy servos can start selling us 100 like in Europe.

• Like 1

Nonsense. Just about every car owners manual from 1994 onwards will state 95 is at least preferred if not essential. 3.8 commodores using 1960\'s engine technology and other examples of lazy/outdated engineering are the exception.

Anything at least semi-modern will have a knock sensor and a decent enough compression ratio to warrant 95. The extra $3 for a tank of 95 versus 91....why wouldnt you?

Edit: If you havnt owned an oldschool car with a distributor and had to manually set it for the difference between 91 and 95 (or a modern car with a light that flashes when you get knock) you really have no quantifiable idea what the difference is between them. Me: I get to see that little light flashing its ass off until the knock correction kicks in if i fill up with a stale tank of 95. Ive also had to crack out the 10mm spanner and spin the dizzy after putting some 91 in my Hilux. Its easy to think that because there are no symptoms - there is no difference. Bring up your cars long term ignition correction trims and im willing to bet theres your evidence to support paying $3 (or about 4%) more.

Then again, its a pretty s*** thing to argue about when most people will argue that BP (nationwide) has better gas than Gull with zero scientific evidence.

Ya Jon I wasnt referring to that more to the fact of getting rid of 91 all together. Maybe its coz whangarei/northland is low decile and everyone drives old corollas and the likes def no exceptions of old commies either. I ran libi on 91 a couple of times when we were fuckin poor. Didnt ping well not that you could hear or ecu noticed. Economy went out the window though cost more to run - very stoopid idea.

Id be keen for 98 north of auckland though...

I know I\'ve said it before - but I got better km per dollar running 98 in my POS courier caldina - normal 3SGE motor and auto box, nothing fancy, just had a spreadsheet keeping track of km and obviously I was weeeeellll aware of what I spent in petrol

Did anything up to 500km per day (90% city driving at full throttle adhering to the courier road rules) in busy periods so I was qualified to make judgement on if it got better mileage - ran just fine on 91 but the extra km per tank overruled the extra cents per litre, ended up having all the guys in the fleet try it as well and the majority of us all switched to using 98 as a rule - 95 was same again to a lesser degree but the best octane = the best economy

Marky said:

I know I\'ve said it before - but I got better km per dollar running 98 in my POS courier caldina - normal 3SGE motor and auto box, nothing fancy, just had a spreadsheet keeping track of km and obviously I was weeeeellll aware of what I spent in petrol

Did anything up to 500km per day (90% city driving at full throttle adhering to the courier road rules) in busy periods so I was qualified to make judgement on if it got better mileage - ran just fine on 91 but the extra km per tank overruled the extra cents per litre, ended up having all the guys in the fleet try it as well and the majority of us all switched to using 98 as a rule - 95 was same again to a lesser degree but the best octane = the best economy

Mid 90-s Im guessing?

Ok this is my thinking...correct me where im wrong here:

91 causes knock, knock sensors and ECU\'s retard timing to prevent it happening....because of this, you get less power from the fuel and therefore have to use more of it. Logically it follows that you should be running a higher grade of petrol because its what your engine was designed for. Saying it doesnt make any difference except in fuel economy is retarded because that IS a difference and doesnt come about from 95 magically having more energy in it than 91.

The caldina wally.

I gathered it just didnt bang as well in the engine as lesser octane. Im far from a beginner Im pre that. What youre saying makes sense but never had cel or felt any knock/ping even loading it on hills. Welcome to be wrong which it sounds like I am.

Yeah well thats the whole point. Factory ECU wont throw a code for knock unless the sensor just isnt working....and you wont hear it because the ECU adjusts quicker than you can pick it up *without special equipment. You just put 95 in and it feels like your car has more power because it can now use all of the ignition advance it had to dial out for 91.

Same reason putting 98 in wont suddenly give you more power if the motor wasnt tuned for it. It cant add any more advance, it can only get as far as the 0 point it was tuned to. Octane rating is all about resistance to knock and fuckall else. If there is a difference in the burnability or energy in the fuel - i dont think its big.

Its a massive pool of misinformation that 98 burns better or cleaner or faster or with more bang. It just doesnt.

(disclaimer: Bio fuels are a different story)

I get that running 98 in my car would achieve nothing as its tuned on 95. Thats what Im saying in theory 95 is a waste in a 91 car but markys proved otherwise unless the caldina was meant to be running 95 which is likely. but then even better on 98 kinda blows the theory.