Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Extreme Street/Casual Track Car Build

lachlan said:

lol yeah that advice wont help the op much

I don\'t see why it won\'t. His original question was he wanted to build a car from scratch. No specification that he was only interested in Subaru\'s. So I am just being honest. Yes it\'s a Subaru forum, but we can all put aside bias from time to time can\'t we?

I may have raced a Subaru or two before, so although I am definitely not an expert - I have seen one or two things and the sad reality is Evo\'s are typically faster and more reliable in my experience, when there is a limited budget involved. So if you have a budget of $25k, you are going to get better value for money out of one. If budget is closer to unlimited, I am sure you could build a Subaru that is reliable for a period of time.

The one good thing I will say about Subaru\'s is at least the older ones don\'t sound like a f*cking tractor. I don\'t like tractors, as they are deceptive, they sound so boring yet go so fast.

snwmbl said:

Ive always owned subarus so would like to stick with them for this little project.

Excellent choice!!

Umm how competitive do u Need to be?

Like someone suggested a v7 might be a good option

Some nice upgrades to it and if not crazy Abt power a reflash some suspension stuff and nice tyres and they be a fairly nice car

Its just a car for fun, so it doesn\'t need to be competitive, just fast. I thought a factory STI engine and turbo with basic mods would do the trick but now I am thinking of going a little further with it.. May as well do it properly the first time. haha.

loner said:

Any car given the same treatment would be just as unreliable... and he hasn\'t even raced an EVO... so...

Assuming you are referring to me, that would be incorrect. I haven\'t raced an Evo in an event based in Wellington. But I have raced an Evo a couple of times. And sadly I didn\'t manage to break it once.

Sam - look around the pits at your next track day and see which cars have the bonnets up. Sadly it\'s not the Evo\'s. Yes, a Subaru might last a track day or two, but sooner or later they generally break before other cars. Mind you I will admit that a lot more Subaru drivers actually race their cars, unlike the rather pussy Evo drivers!

Anyway. Clearly I have to put up with the bias around here. My suggestions for a Subaru race car are EZ30, Link and drive it like Clint and Keltik. The few EZ30 powered cars all seem to keep going pretty much forever (yes I know Keltik eventually wore his out, but it took a damn long time!). No bearing issues, no heat issues and they sound glorious! What more could you ask for?

If I ever build another Subaru that would be what I would do. Then find the lightest shell possible to make up for the slightly lower horsepower and remove as much as you can from it.

I actually agree that an EZ30R seems like a good motor to be racing in a Subaru. I\'ve long been a fan of Clints RA, and I do love the sound. I would seriously consider going that way with the coupe *when* my current motor gives up if the stars aligned and I can source a sixer, afford or manage the installation, afford a link and to get it tuned. Realistically it won\'t be an option though as it is most likely I\'ll be able to spend a few grand on a new bottom end and away I go (or push it off a cliff). I also personally think that pretty much any STi is a very fast road car. I\'ve been racing mine on and off for about four years and I certainly haven\'t gotten to the point where I can turn up and run it at *its* limits time after time after time at any given venue and lament the fact it is too slow. In fact, I feel like I\'ve managed some pretty respectable results given it is my daily driver with virtually no modifications (factory ECU, turbo, heads etc). After all this time, the limit is still me. And I am more than capable of killing myself in the current car (car is more than capable of killing me?). I can\'t see that the addition of anything other than a cage (and perhaps some cheap oiling modifications) is really required for these cars to be able to compete enjoyably (and sometimes even competitively) for years.

Munkvy']

Any car given the same treatment would be just as unreliable... and he hasn\'t even raced an EVO... so...

Assuming you are referring to me, that would be incorrect. I haven\'t raced an Evo in an event based in Wellington. But I have raced an Evo a couple of times. And sadly I didn\'t manage to break it once.

I meant more your Legacy being maltreated :) it was just too old and received too little TLC and too much rough

handling IMO.

[quote name='Munkvy said:

Sam - look around the pits at your next track day and see which cars have the bonnets up.

I don\'t agree, I see just as many or more EVOs having trouble... Cam, Scott and Ron have all had problems at local events.