Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy B4 Rev D, suspension, exhaust, air filter, bov etc...

GorGasmSpecB

Hey all,

There\'s probably some info on these topics already but I would like to see if there are any TT experts in the room.

I purchased a 2002 Blitzen Rev D last weekend and it needs some TLC to get it up to scratch. Firstly putting in some 98 worked wonders! The TT definitely has top end pull to make you grin :)

What I am looking at next is peoples opinions on:

Air filters:

Thinking about a performance panel and snorkel removal. Possibly a pod, but that could just be an expensive waste. Opinions?

Suspension:

tossing up between lowering springs on the factory bilsteins or some second hand adjustables plus sways, bushes etc. Anyone running just lowering springs comment on ride/handling? I haven\'t had great experiences with lowering springs in my past vehicles but these have been with rubbish shocks...

Exhaust:

Thinking about the full rage turbo back pack, hoping this will fit the Blitzen rear bumper, it\'s the later bumper with the cutout at the bottom not the middle. Any other recommendations for a complete exhaust?

Finally, Intercooler and BOV:

What would be my best bet? Tempted to go with the front mount kit available on trademe as I cant seem to find any top mount upgrades. And any recommendations on a BOV?

Got new Nitto neogen tyres going on today and full brake replacement on saturday...

Tuning will be happening after most of the above is done :)

Leave the air filter and box standard just do the snorkelectomy mod.

Secondhand adjusties are hit and miss and expensive when you add a cert. Likely better to go for shortened shocks so it handles nicely still and keeps spring captive. Rear swaybar is a worthy upgrade if you want to spend money on handling changing susp mods.

I wouldnt change the factory bov they dont need adjusting,work the best and simply put dont give issues.

Best bang for buck get it tuned.

Cheers, will to the snorkel this weekend while I am replacing the brakes.

I guess springs are pretty cheap ~$400, I\'m just worried they will be too soft or something.

Sway bars are definitely on the list. Question is will the front need upgrading too? I had just the rear done on my old BL 3.0R and it was great. Probably look at an anti lift kit too...

Keen to get the exhaust and maybe intercooler done before tuning it.

Cant comment on legacy chassis as I have a GF but I got a 22mm adjustable rear whiteline job and stock front. Works awesome in the middle hole but in tightest setting it feels like it has 4WS.

If anything Ive found springs make the ride harder but shortening shocks is what makes it factory again.

GorGasmSpecB said:

Hey all,

There\'s probably some info on these topics already but I would like to see if there are any TT experts in the room.

I purchased a 2002 Blitzen Rev D last weekend and it needs some TLC to get it up to scratch. Firstly putting in some 98 worked wonders! The TT definitely has top end pull to make you grin :)

What I am looking at next is peoples opinions on:

Air filters:

Thinking about a performance panel and snorkel removal. Possibly a pod, but that could just be an expensive waste. Opinions?

$52 for a M&H MAF pipe to replace the corrugated plastic elbow - do that if anything, not much more you can do short of the full under-manifold pipe replacement - about $250 off ebay australia

Suspension:

tossing up between lowering springs on the factory bilsteins or some second hand adjustables plus sways, bushes etc. Anyone running just lowering springs comment on ride/handling? I haven\'t had great experiences with lowering springs in my past vehicles but these have been with rubbish shocks...

I\'m using tein springs on stock shocks and its not bouncy, rides quite solid. Most with bilsteins would say the same, they don\'t get all underdamped like low-spec cars on low springs do. Adjustables are a bit of a gamble - some are ridiculous firm, some are quite mild - buyer beware I guess. I\'ve got big swaybars at both ends and the difference to a stocker is quite noticable, strut braces and the like seem to make a difference you don\'t really notice until they get removed

Exhaust:

Thinking about the full rage turbo back pack, hoping this will fit the Blitzen rear bumper, it\'s the later bumper with the cutout at the bottom not the middle. Any other recommendations for a complete exhaust?

That\'s about all you\'ll find unless you pick up something second hand

Finally, Intercooler and BOV:

What would be my best bet? Tempted to go with the front mount kit available on trademe as I cant seem to find any top mount upgrades. And any recommendations on a BOV?

That front mount kit is prob one of, if not the only one you\'ll find for sale new in the world. Top mount upgrades you can use a V7 or aftermarket upgrade (the factory B4 cooler is the same intercooler as a V5/6 sti has - hyperflow in aussie make an upgraded one?) but you wouldn\'t see much in the way of genuine improvement without a bigger scoop - personally I\'d say just skip it and go FMIC - if you don\'t want to do that then just changing the turbo to intercooler pipes with silicon bends makes a definite difference too

Got new Nitto neogen tyres going on today and full brake replacement on saturday...

Tuning will be happening after most of the above is done :)

I used some RS*R springs in my Blitzen. I also had the shocks rebuilt at time. Nice ride, but still abit limited compared to STi. Might need guard rolling if wheels are larger.

Adjustables are hit and miss second hand. If you were to get some, then you might as well factor in a rebuild plus cert costs.

Either look out for cheap second hand exhausts from wreakers or look at Fortyone.co.nz for new or there yahoo auctions japan service.

Stay with OEM airbox, do a Cold air intake. You can replace the inlet pipe with a Zerosports one for abit of bling.

I wouldnt go Fmic. Cost for more lag. The standard Cooler is pretty good, but few things are replace the plastic inlet pipes with some samco ones and open up the bonnet scope (most just put a v8 scope on) Water sprayer can be done to.

I did do a V8 I/C install, but was PITA and required few custom mounts, Y-Pipe mods, and replace clutch Master cylinder with one from a V7+

Depending on you skills in things with cars, you can buy the cable and with the use of ECU flash/Romraider give http://torquedperformance.com/aboutus.sc an email. Costs a flat fee of $150US. Highly Regarded tuner.

Thanks for the info! Might look into tuning as I am a bit of a geek :)

Went to get tyres fitted yesterday but the garage found all the wheels are buggered. So now I need to fork out for new wheels next week. Oh well, at least it will look good.

Looks like I might just go for lowering springs to start with, plus rear sway bar. The car already has Cusco upper and lower braces on the front and rear which is awesome.

Strange about the I/C, I seem to notice it heat soaks something fierce when toddling around town. Open road at night has been fine though :)

Get a fmic man not all that much lag once u tune if correctly and a lot more effective than the tmic

Been for a ride in a few with fmic and it\'s not as bad even on stock tune

With retune u can take advantage o the lower intake temp and tune it stronger

SP00N said:

Get a fmic man not all that much lag once u tune if correctly and a lot more effective than the tmic

Been for a ride in a few with fmic and it\'s not as bad even on stock tune

With retune u can take advantage o the lower intake temp and tune it stronger

Tuning makes all the difference.

I\'m going to assume this is manual.

A detune for 98 would be a lot more beneficial, and moar fuel economy!

With the front mount, you need to weigh up the (minimal) lag, vs air temp (controversial) vs \'how good it looks au\'

Divine said:

With the front mount, you need to weigh up the (minimal) lag, vs air temp (controversial) vs \'how good it looks au\'

None of the above is bad if it is then black paint, boom since fmic has been mentioned Id say its not an issue. Air temp is no way controversial fmic is better. Lag is nix if you use closed loop idk if thats an option with stock ecu but damn that makes a difference probably quicker than the topmount with cl considering stock doesnt bring it on as hard as possible.

The only issue I have with FMIC is fitting it behind the blitzen bumper! Lag isn\'t the product of a bigger IC and piping, response maybe but that will be minimal.

For the cost of ~$600 I don\'t think I can get a better IC solution. All the Aussie upgraded top mounts are about $1200 and will still most likely get heatsoak...

Best mod so far has been half a tank of 98 and some octane booter lol.

GorGasmSpecB said:

The only issue I have with FMIC is fitting it behind the blitzen bumper! Lag isn\'t the product of a bigger IC and piping, response maybe but that will be minimal.

For the cost of ~$600 I don\'t think I can get a better IC solution. All the Aussie upgraded top mounts are about $1200 and will still most likely get heatsoak...

Yes you dont want to hack up a Blitzen Bumper!!!

D-Style']

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

/quote]

Yes you dont want to hack up a Blitzen Bumper!!!

+1

They are so expensive to replace

DSC_0541.jpg

404299_325248327582415_267993026_ncopy_z

Paint that second one black and noone would notice it\'s even there - front mount does not have to mean "hacked bumper and massive hunk of polished ali"

FMIC is next on my list as well - the V7 cooler while it works better, still cooks up to 40-50deg in traffic - cools down faster than the stocker did but realistically you\'re fighting a losing battle

I\'ve driven them with front mounts before and honestly couldnt even pick any "lag" over the stock TMIC - not like a TT has anything like response in the first place (where it counts anyway)

Mine is the other style bumper... Not sure at the moment.

Successful day managed to get done:

Full brake pad, rotor and fluid replacement

HKS panel filter and intake resonator removal

Located, purchased and fitted a HKS Super Drager muffler for $125

Getting Advanti nebullars 18x7.5 w 225/40/18 Nitto neo gens next Thursday. All 4 factory wheels are bent and have s*** tyres.

Why can\'t people look after their cars? :(

Alright, next question: What boost levels should I be seeing on a pull through second gear? Got a boost gauge in today in the coin pocket and I am seeing 0.7 bar on the primary and takes quite a while to ramp up and then maybe 0.8 through the secondary. If I load up third gear enough then it will get to near 1 on the primary. I thought these ran a bit higher than that? I know my BP wagon runs a lot more...