Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

This is dodgy!

Guest boostin

Guest boostin

About a month ago, one of the guys at work went out to his car to find someone in it trying to rip the ignition out. He chased them off and reported it to the cops. Then on the night of the 12th of June it was loaded onto a trailer and pinched from his house. It was reported stolen the same night.

He got a phone call last night saying the cops had found it at an address out west. Now here's the dodgy bit. The ownership details had been changed, but had been done on the 8th, 4 days before it was stolen! It was in the name of Ngareta Morehu Graves, and the address was 36 Seymour Rd, Sunnyvale, Waitakere.

Might pay to check ownership on your own car from time to time!

Dodge as.........when the cops did a check on it, how did they now it was stolen if it came back as/to the residents of that address?

JoKer said:

registration does not imply ownership...

what then implys ownership.

when you register a car, the letter you get says that your the registered owner of the vehical, this would inmply you own the car.

-smurff

Well at least the LTNZ sends out a letter telling you that change of owner has happened.

And at time of change you have to show your licence

on the change of ownership says any person who supplies false or misleading info on a notice of change of ownership of motor vehicle form commits an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding $1000.

So they will get a extra fine for doing that

smurff']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

when you register a car, the letter you get says that your the registered owner of the vehical, this would inmply you own the car.

-smurff

not true and the cops will tell you the same thing. NZ runs an open licensing system. The only country in the whole world to do so.

Not only can you walk in and change my car to your name but having "ownership" of a car does not imply you own it. It might be in your name but the fact you might have it financed means the finance company actually own it. In the states if you fail to pay your insurance the insurance company can take ownership of it.

If something like what the topic states happens it might pay to have the green slip stating your name and address. And maybe your insurance papers to back that up.

Happens all the time that cars are pinched with owners names being changed.

If the cops struggled to believe the car was actually yours if it was changed without your knowledge you might not get your car back.

Ive heard of a couple stories like this. People lost their cars. So if you count the open license system in NZ sometimes having your car financed by a finance company or bank is actually a form of back up as you could ring and say someones changed the name on ownership and cops dont belive its mine go and get it. They would.

I actually have a long story to add here.

lived in palmy, tried to sell my car on behalf of at coles motor company. Moved into my house drove past to pick the car up as i needed it. No car yard. it went under. lost the car for a few weeks. Did some ringing around, found out the new guy went and put some mags on it from my other mate. Tried to get it back tthe guy was like hahah i have a free car get f**ked. Onto the finance company about it cos the cops didnt wanna know. Lawyer stated it was effectively stolen though and i worked with them and their reposession guys to get it back. There was a big sting on it as there was false loan forms and false ownership papers decleared and all sorts.

Finally sold it back tothe guy cos i had his brand new mags and stereo in it for $5k less than what it was valued at. But he lost it to the other finance company who claimed it in a fraud case against him and they sold it back to my finance company who auctioned it. I should have bought it back cos it was a mint as car!

I actually did some PI work for them after that.

*This story has nothing to do with anything and i hold the right to babble*

Another thing that was very common several years ago was this.

John at car yard finds out you have your car with no money owing on it. (this usually happened when you go in to look at trading your car)

Johns dodgy mate changes your car into his name, helped out by dodgy mate at NZPOST.

Dodgy mate runs to GE money and loans as much as he can onto the security of the car.

Dodgy mate changes it back into your name 2-3 days later, with help from dodgy mate at NZPOST.

Dodgy mates and John spend GE monies on hookers and blow.

Dodgy mates do not pay Loan

GE money comes and takes your car.

You have no car.

Was apparently quite common for quite some time for this to happen.

TURTLE said:

Another thing that was very common several years ago was this.

John at car yard finds out you have your car with no money owing on it. (this usually happened when you go in to look at trading your car)

Johns dodgy mate changes your car into his name, helped out by dodgy mate at NZPOST.

Dodgy mate runs to GE money and loans as much as he can onto the security of the car.

Dodgy mate changes it back into your name 2-3 days later, with help from dodgy mate at NZPOST.

Dodgy mates and John spend GE monies on hookers and blow.

Dodgy mates do not pay Loan

GE money comes and takes your car.

You have no car.

Was apparently quite common for quite some time for this to happen.

Dont give me ideas. .. . . about hookers and blow ;D

QRAF said:

good story i liked it lighten up my morning.

Wasnt funny at the time. Almost lost my house over it. Had to goto small claims blah blah. One excuse why he didnt give it back was he paid the car dealer $2500 as a deposit which he lost and kept the car as swecurity for that. He failed to see that that effectively was my money and he owed me a further $15500 to cover the rest. He didnt like it. He didnt like my fist a few months after things were sorted either. He tried to say 'nothing personal bro' i said "ill be back" o oops wrong story i said ' its all personal, and im not your bro' smack smack to many weights not enough speed work... or words to that effect at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

you think they would be a sure fire way to prove its your car on paper nz goverment is fu%#d up though and most of the cops dont care

Swindog']

[quote name='JoKer said:

/quote]

-smurff

not true and the cops will tell you the same thing. NZ runs an open licensing system. The only country in the whole world to do so.

Not only can you walk in and change my car to your name but having "ownership" of a car does not imply you own it. It might be in your name but the fact you might have it financed means the finance company actually own it. In the states if you fail to pay your insurance the insurance company can take ownership of it.

If something like what the topic states happens it might pay to have the green slip stating your name and address. And maybe your insurance papers to back that up.

Happens all the time that cars are pinched with owners names being changed.

But there are 2 parts to the change of ownership form arent there? If your signature isnt on the "seller disposing of" part then it shouldnt be an issue?

no id even needed to be shown.

www.ltsa.govt.nz

all u need is a cc and a licence, and u can transfer it. so technically a dodgy car rental company employee could screw u over. (most take copy of licence, and swipe card onto a cc chit). wouldnt take much for employee to quickly note verification number of card.