Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BD5 RSB Upgrades

Heya,

can anybody give me some opinions on a few things and generally suspension bits realted to the bd5 rsb sedan

parts i have at the moment are

Subaru 4 pot front callipers and 294mm rotors

standard rears

cusco front s/b links

ohlins rebound adjustable shocks from wrxsti wagon

with the ohlins becuase they are from a wrx wagon will i have to make a spacer for the top hat to lengthen or are they the same height in the rear (had a bc5 previous) so just asking

as far as i know the car they came from is a v3-v4 which springs should i use with the shocks to get the best performance and good for a few trackdays as well im not to worried about the roughness if stis are used

i have a selection i can use the sti springs the sandard rsb bilstein springs or i can use some from a bc5 more a spring rate thing so would a pro be able to help

also the ohlins hav a 32 way adjustment where is a good place to start ?

also any more worth while suspesnion upgrades on the cheap would help

swaybars from other subarus

also will the stnadard rack be all good for a couple track days ? or generally do most people change to sti racks?

will get a good wheel alignment

I believe GF8 rear shocks are different (shorter) as for spacing them i'm sure there will be some legality's.

I would use the STI spring's and as far as what to set the Ohlins too, start at zero and work your way up over time to what is comfortable.

You standard steering rack will suffice people would change to an STI rack as it would be a quick ratio rack.

Dunno what other swaybars fit, But I have a whiteline 22mm Adjustable rear on mine.

For daily use i have it set on 20mm (stock is 18) and the difference is huge! Turn in has been greatly improved and understeer has been largely eliminated. Having yet to get it on the track, i'm yet to really test its limits and compare between the 18, 20 and 22mm settings.

Guest boostcut

the alloy doesnt bend as its cast. and gf8 suspension is the same as gc8 they just have a stiffer spring factory in the gf8 for the extra load they "could"carry

gtlegacy said:

ok sweet az are the 4 pots generally an upgrade aswell? should i get some alloy bottom arms to try get my unsprung weight down again?

4 pot must be an upgrade, however your better off beefing up your OE setup, until you learn to drive beyond it.

The weight difference if the alloy arms is negligible, the benefit comes from them being stronger, stiffer and offer better geometry.

ok so do you still recommend running the sti springs instead of the bilstein ? or could i use a combination to get a good balance?

ie sti front springs and bilstein rear or something? i have the chance to borrow a set of scales just looking to get a good balance for track/road

In my GTB I swapped GTB Bilstein struts in the front to STi RA struts, definately a bit firmer and bouncier. Didnt make a major change in handling, I got them primarily as I hoped they would last a bit longer - and so far they have lasted a while with no dramas.

To be blunt though, if you really want a Legacy that handles and goes well - either get a BC5 or upgrade to a WRX STi. BG5/BD5s are just not good at being really abused - the chassis is heavy and the engines are a bit weak...

heya,

i just had a go at putting my ohlins into my subaru bd5 rsb the front went in no sweat

but the back is where the progress holted

i have a couple of problemsthe 1st i have is the tophat from the bilsteins have the bush part and the hat as one not in 2 parts and the top of my ohlins shock hits the housing before it can even get onto the slip fit part on the top of the shock(below the thread)

i have a couple options as far as i know feel free to add something if you dont think its right as the shocks came with the peice that holds the spring and not the top hat on

1. pull the top hat spring holder assembly off and lathe the bottom of the hat/spring holder so it has clearance for the ohlins shock

2. lathe it so that it will sit flat on the bottom of top hat and just bolt it up with the one i got

3.same as 2 but weld the spring holder onto the top hat in the correct location (use the other side as reference)

the next problem is that the spring from the sti shocks are different from the legacy they are shorter maybe 10-15mm and by feel they are a little softer as well and i dont really want to put them as yet until i see what the front sits like (no engine atm)

was thinking that it would best to just put the springs that came from original car back on

Munkvy said:

In my GTB I swapped GTB Bilstein struts in the front to STi RA struts, definately a bit firmer and bouncier. Didnt make a major change in handling, I got them primarily as I hoped they would last a bit longer - and so far they have lasted a while with no dramas.

To be blunt though, if you really want a Legacy that handles and goes well - either get a BC5 or upgrade to a WRX STi. BG5/BD5s are just not good at being really abused - the chassis is heavy and the engines are a bit weak...

I am always to fast on these.. but I have staying power LOL

BD/BG5 are ok it does depends on what your after, if you want a lite rally option then impreza/bc legacy the way to go.. But I like the BD/BG it's a matter of a opinion really, if your after nice comfortable road car then a RSB or GTB fit the picture nicely (my opinion)

Mods, I done most of this on my GTB and I tell you, it handle, (on the open road) way better than my Impreza does at the moment.. I have hit corner at 160 -170 km in my whale, I am very happy in the way it was set up..

GC8 and the GF8 rear strut wont bolt in, but it can be made to fit.. 4 pots Fronts (subaru) are direct bolt up, I would say, machine the rotors if there seconds, or my buy new ones.. saves the hassle of warping rotors.

You could upgrade the you stand brakes with better pad and fluid as BC5RA mentioned, 4 pot are nice upgrade though, if you can do it, then do it. I changed the plastic links to a titanium links front and rear, I have whiteline adjust sway on the rear (22mm)and whiteline sway front 20mm and 4 point cusco strut brace (that came with the GTB when it was imported. I also added a Whiteline Anti-Lift kit.

I have front & rear strut brace on the GTB. I have B12 struts (bilsteins) with whiteline superlows springs (which isn't that low) .. my dobi-sport springs were lower. but I pull them as I wanted stronger springs ( which was a epic fail) they were the same rate, I think. I blew $340 bux DOH.. but got bling as the whiteline are silver..

Note on bilstein you can get them set how you want them from autolign, and use race spec oil (cant remember the name sorry) when rebuilding... ask them for it, as they will use (new) OE fluid on rebuild of bilstein.. unless ask them for it.. it was about 100 per shock rebuild inc gst (just under $400) they can rate them stiff and mediums.. the guys there, know there stuff so talk to them, bilstein are a dam good strut, I wouldn't drop them.. talk to Autolign first.

But if your swapping for Sti struts pm me if your selling the bil's I was wanting to convert some to coils..

I know ... over a week late... nothing new... LOL

Heya,

i was just looking at machineing g my standard top hats to suit my ohlins rear shocks (replacing the bilsteins)

but i can get in far enough to clearance before getting the rubber bushing inside so i was fitting about this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Suspension-braces/auction-226755648.htm

and this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Suspension-braces/auction-226757146.htm

these are the camber and castor adjustable ones solid

are they a good idea?

as with the rears i got a top hat with the ohlins but no top mount so would that work?

but the fronts i dont know i havnt pulled them apart does anyone know if they are 1 peice or 2 peice(mount and top hat being seperate) because im guessing that getting the mount in the link i dont get a top hat

are they a good idea or not really worth it

• 3 weeks later...

as my car is 180km old im looking at changing my bushes through out

as you know my car is a 1997 RSB running ohlins suspension

what do you guyz think of a nolathane complete car kit for my car?

im not 100% sure what it has but it says its got most of the bits needed

or any alternatives to that?