Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

5th gear jumping and popping out V6 STI

shore_boy

So with the price of premium fuel and constant maintenance to my car I\'m quickly learning how much attention my new STI demands... She may only have 90km but the 14 years of age is evident.

**If this is supposed to be under gearbox and drivetrain just let me know and I\'ll move it across. Car is an Impreza so it is relevant either way.**

Recently whilst on the motorway i noticed that my 5th gear was jumping back and forth and in some cases popping out of gear completely. When the gear is engaged it feels fine even when I release the clutch pedal. Only on acceleration does it jump back about an inch and sometimes completely out after i release the accelerator. If it does not jump completely out it just returns to the normal position only to jump back/pop out on acceleration. Last note the gear holds for the duration of the acceleration and then does what it likes on release.

I found this recently http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/mod-transfer-case-removal-5th-6049.html?t=6049 which I have read a bit about and it seems to have worked for a few people so I think that this and some new fluid is a good step in the right direction.

As always any comments are appreciated specially if you have dealt with the issue in the past. If you would like a more thorough description please let me know what it is you would like described and ill do my best to clarify. Cheers.

Also if you have any recommendations on the right oil to use (yes I have read the "suitable oils" thread but other opinion is also good) and how much to use please leave a comment. As for getting the transfer case off It shouldn\'t be too hard. Should it???

I hope to solve this quickly as I have a track day in October. Will be my first time and I\'d just like everything to be right.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kwi_fozze']

I\'d say you were right on the money there :-)

I hope so. Will be easier that replacing the tranny!

[quote name='AdamOst said:

ha, my v6 does the same thing, happens when if i back offf the accelerator too harshly usually on the motorway. Thankfully it doesnt do it at trackdays.

Mine is getting really bad now and as you say it\'s not a terrible issue I just dont want anything to come loose and shred my box. Should be having a look this weekend or next. Had surgery Tuesday so will see how I feel... Will let you know if I manage to fix the issue. I\'m gonna look into engine mounts etc also just to be sure.

funkytown']

that is the input shaft, but its the nut on the back of the input shaft, which accessible if you remove the center diff off the back of the box.

i.e its inside the box

Thanks for that :)

[quote name='boon said:

Pretty sure you\'re all talking about the same nut that is mentioned in the article linked up the top.

Are the transfer case and input shaft not on opposite sides of the tranny? If not I have to do some homework before taking this job up... So confused ???

Now i understand! That was what I was asking about above when I asked about why it would only happen in 5th gear. Thanks again.

I have never opened up a box before although I have removed one. I\'m hoping i\'ll have a better understanding after doing this.

TURTLE']

[quote name='Eight dollar said:

sound slike input shaft nut has come loose

/quote]

was going to suggest the exact same thing, just couldnt remember the term

Stopped reading thread here.

Same here, and while they were at it my 5th synchro got replaced as it was on it\'s way out. Was a pretty cheap fix.

This was the issue when it happened to me.

shore_boy said:

So with the price of premium fuel and constant maintenance to my car I\'m quickly learning how much attention my new STI demands... She may only have 90km but the 14 years of age is evident.

**If this is supposed to be under gearbox and drivetrain just let me know and I\'ll move it across. Car is an Impreza so it is relevant either way.**

Recently whilst on the motorway i noticed that my 5th gear was jumping back and forth and in some cases popping out of gear completely. When the gear is engaged it feels fine even when I release the clutch pedal. Only on acceleration does it jump back about an inch and sometimes completely out after i release the accelerator. If it does not jump completely out it just returns to the normal position only to jump back/pop out on acceleration. Last note the gear holds for the duration of the acceleration and then does what it likes on release.

I found this recently http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/mod-transfer-case-removal-5th-6049.html?t=6049 which I have read a bit about and it seems to have worked for a few people so I think that this and some new fluid is a good step in the right direction.

As always any comments are appreciated specially if you have dealt with the issue in the past. If you would like a more thorough description please let me know what it is you would like described and ill do my best to clarify. Cheers.

Also if you have any recommendations on the right oil to use (yes I have read the "suitable oils" thread but other opinion is also good) and how much to use please leave a comment. As for getting the transfer case off It shouldn\'t be too hard. Should it???

I hope to solve this quickly as I have a track day in October. Will be my first time and I\'d just like everything to be right.

Simple fix if you get onto it now as per your link, don\'t leave it to long or it will start to cause other problems and then you will need a new gearbox.

Transfer case is pretty easy to get off, i find putting it back on the painful part. Don\'t use to much force pushing the bearings into place. When it lines up 100% it slides in easy.

Repco oil is made by redline or someone like that anyway so repco manual gearbox fluid will do the trick.

pl0x']

[quote name='shore_boy said:

**b]If this is supposed to be under gearbox and drivetrain just let me know and I\'ll move it across. Car is an Impreza so it is relevant either way.[/b]**

Simple fix if you get onto it now as per your link, don\'t leave it to long or it will start to cause other problems and then you will need a new gearbox.

Transfer case is pretty easy to get off, i find putting it back on the painful part. Don\'t use to much force pushing the bearings into place. When it lines up 100% it slides in easy.

Repco oil is made by redline or someone like that anyway so repco manual gearbox fluid will do the trick.

Nope. Repco oil is penrite rebranded.

Great DIY natured shot of the engine. Overhanging light is really handy when the door is closed :)

IMAG0117_zps943580e6.jpg

Dump pipe came off after the bits that were in the way (intercooler and brackets etc). Bloody bastard is always a prick to get off, without fail. I took a little time to inspect it and found a little leak near the flange so will take it in to be welded. Also need a new O2 bung for sensor as mine is cross threaded. Luckily the gaskets all look to be in good order so Ill just put them back in.

IMAG0122_zps2ebd020f.jpg

If only I had a hoist... Would be fantastic to have a little more room under the car. Note the curb stones holding the rear up ;D The underside brace is really getting in the way and i\'ll most probably remove it tomorrow. It runs right under the nut to empty the box\'s fluid so i\'ve not managed to do that yet and spent the afternoon in AnE after my patience ran out and I pinched my finger between a spanner and the underside of the car >:( Tip of my finger was just hanging on and basically got squashed off. It hurt...

IMAG0118_zpscc3dac4e.jpg

As for now all of the transmission brackets are off and Im well under way. Just have to remove the other half of the exhaust, the drive shaft, empty the box, take care of the shifter linkages and ill be in!

IMAG0123_zps9e8ab666.jpg

May be a slight delay from now. Will see how my finger feels tomorrow and decide whether to continue or leave it for next weekend. Unfortunately is my left hand and im left handed also...