Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel / octane boost

GravelBen

Now living (further) down south, it seems that you can't get 98 octane fuel anywhere south of Dunedin, or have I missed somewhere?

If I'm right about that, what are the favoured options for octane booster? Been running 95+booster so far and its ok, doesn't feel like cutting power but a bit thirstier than 98. Just trying whatever booster I've found on special at shops but some definitely better than others! Guessing some of you lot will have experimented more with it already, any suggestions?

Guest loren

I did some reasearch (ok I googled for a while) on octane booster a few years ago, and it sounded like most products only raise the

octane a few points, not a few octane... so from 95 to 95.3 rather than 95 to 98... for the prescribed amount.

Not sure if this is really true or even measurable in a practical sense, but it's expensive stuff which may not be worth anything

in terms of engine protection.

Guest boostin
 Optical said:

invest in a drum of alcohol and start makng your own E10 :)

And on weekends you can mix it with O.J. for a cheap night out!! ;D

• Admin
 boostin']

[quote name='Optical said:

invest in a drum of alcohol and start makng your own E10 :)

/quote]

And on weekends you can mix it with O.J. for a cheap night out!! ;D

lol

MY GTB ran like a bag of poos with octane booster in it...

Swindog said:

I would recommend Fuel Set from Repco. A few guys use it in the v8 series and cuts down on engine wear, helps the valves etc. Octane booster anit worth it. Your better of with a mix o av gas and fuel or c16 and fuel.

+1 on the repco fuel set 8)

• 3 weeks later...
 loren said:

I did some reasearch (ok I googled for a while) on octane booster a few years ago, and it sounded like most products only raise the

octane a few points, not a few octane... so from 95 to 95.3 rather than 95 to 98... for the prescribed amount.

Not sure if this is really true or even measurable in a practical sense, but it's expensive stuff which may not be worth anything

in terms of engine protection.

Having inspected bottles more carefully you're right, most do only claim points of octane. Wynns stuff claims up to 5 full octane numbers boost though, it certainly feels better than the other stuff but cheapest I've found is $18/bottle. I guess half bottle per tank should in theory bump 95 to 97.5 if the full bottle can actually raise it by 5.

Guest loren

Would probably work out cheaper to use for racing instead of avgas. 98 boosted to 103. would be good to have some evidence that it is that good though.

anyone keen to donate their engine for testing ;)

• 3 weeks later...

95octane is sweet as on most Subaru's unless from factory it specifies 98RON, this ive only ever seen on the brand new WRX STi that's 2008 plus. Unless you have some seriously powerful motor 95octane is fine.

Plus using 95 you can expect to save about 5bux per tank.

keltik said:

Probably shouldve done some research on this forum before you made that comment

I did some research read all ya comments etc.

98 is alright for long journeys.. octane booster alright if ya wana clean ya motor out. But apart from that why else would you want to use it? i used to use it in my 92 leggy all time ... just a waste of money imo

Guest boostcut

do you know what realy pissses me off... people who say leggy. its legacy. and fozzy. just as easy to type unless you have a gammy hand.

ok... rant over.

98 is better than 95 ;D ive been using it in my wrxxxxy and my legggggy and my fozzzzzy for ever

i see your gammy hand has kicked in...lol ;)

travel express']

[quote name='keltik said:

Probably shouldve done some research on this forum before you made that comment

/quote]

I did some research read all ya comments etc.

98 is alright for long journeys.. octane booster alright if ya wana clean ya motor out. But apart from that why else would you want to use it? i used to use it in my 92 leggy all time ... just a waste of money imo

if you did your research you would be putting 98 in your subaru.

travel express said:

What did you put in your Subaru before 98RON came out?

You have a point, but now with a better product who wouldn't.

You must be aware of the release of the V5 STI into it's respective domestic markets, sh!!ting themselves due to low octane gas.