Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel / octane boost

GravelBen

Never heard of that happening... heard of more like crapping out due to boyracers and pod filter and bov's lol.... leaning them out because the ecu is receiving the wrong readings etc from sensors.. Yes thats right you may think a podfilter makes it run rich but in time makes ones piston or something run lean and bang or pop or whatever noise these subarus make lol

Guest boostin

Don't forget that most of these hi-po Jap imports are designed to run on 100+ RON high quality Jap fuel, not the crap we get. Most went pop due to poor quality fuel detonating and melting pistons or blowing big ends.

boostin']

Don't forget that most of these hi-po Jap imports are designed to run on 100+ RON high quality Jap fuel, not the crap we get. Most went pop due to poor quality fuel detonating and melting pistons or blowing big ends.

Exactly, these cars at the time were about 45k i don't think any small baller's could afford that.

[quote name='travel express said:

Never heard of that happening... heard of more like crapping out due to boyracers and pod filter and bov's lol.... leaning them out because the ecu is receiving the wrong readings etc from sensors.. Yes thats right you may think a podfilter makes it run rich but in time makes ones piston or something run lean and bang or pop or whatever noise these subarus make lol

Atmo bovs are well known for enriching the mixtures between gear changes, I've run Pod filters (in a cold air box) on all of my RS with no Leaning out.

Guest keltik
 travel express said:

Im sorry mate, go do some reading. Seriously. You seem to be a new member here and your immediately jumping into irritating repetitive arguments with incorrect information.

Pod filters cause lean outs from nakkered air flow meters. Atmospheric venting BOV's cause a rich spike.

Guest loren

There could be something in the marketing claim though... I have heard that before.

Basically, all our petrol companies are set up to distribute two fuels only. In the case

of BP, high and low octane, which translates to 91 and 95/98. Some petrol stations

sell 91 and 95, and others 91 and 98... you never see 95 and 98 sold together.

I was recently forced to put a small amount of shell 95 in the my STi until I found some

98... the car detonated like a bitch, so I had to drive very carefully. I don't think shell

do a 98 variant, so makes sense that their fuel is always 91 or 95 (or 96?).

Anyway, a few days later, and a couple of tanks of 98 later, I was again forced to put

some 95 in... but from BP. Not det at all, nothing, just like 98. I thought that confirmed

what I'd heard previously.

of course, anyone who argues these points always get treated like a UFO spotter or something.

I notice around 10-15% better fuel economy on 98 than 95. That more than makes up for the price difference per litre. 95 on a hot day you can feel the engine go flat as ECU pulls back boost, timing etc to prevent detonation.

If you only ever run it on 95 you'd just think thats how they are normally I guess.

loren said:

Anyway, a few days later, and a couple of tanks of 98 later, I was again forced to put

some 95 in... but from BP. Not det at all, nothing, just like 98. I thought that confirmed

I generally use BP (for AA points if nothing else when I have to buy 95) and notice the difference between their 95 and 98 in the GTB. I think the reason they only sell one or the other at stations is mostly a franchising thing. Or maybe they only have two underground petrol tanks.

Guest loren
 GravelBen']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

I generally use BP (for AA points if nothing else when I have to buy 95) and notice the difference between their 95 and 98 in the GTB. I think the reason they only sell one or the other at stations is mostly a franchising thing. Or maybe they only have two underground petrol tanks.

I think sometimes 95 BP is 98, but it's not something that would be reliable, and I always put 98 if possible. In more rural areas I bet they just carry whatever is

most convenient/cost effect on the day.

loren']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

I think sometimes 95 BP is 98, but it's not something that would be reliable, and I always put 98 if possible. In more rural areas I bet they just carry whatever is

most convenient/cost effect on the day.

When I worked at a BP station years ago, we occasionally got filled with Caltex if BP couldn't supply at short notice. Always cracked me up seeing a Caltex truck parked on the forecourt. Would hazard a guess that similar things would still happen in various stations around the country.

Ive seen Caltex in palmy...i think its caltex. On the corner of tremaine and rangitiki sts?

They sold 95 and 98 together at the same pump.

Same as BP down the road there. 98 and 95 together and on the other side of the forecourt they 91 and 95.

I like shell as i get flybys but i havent seen enough side by side comparison to suggest bp is better than shell or caltex etc.

I know if you get your fuel from Pak n Save its BP fuel. In Invercargill anyway.

I choose not to go with BP was they are always leading the price hikes but Shell generally is the first to drop.

GravelBen said:

I notice around 10-15% better fuel economy on 98 than 95. That more than makes up for the price difference per litre. 95 on a hot day you can feel the engine go flat as ECU pulls back boost, timing etc to prevent detonation.

If you only ever run it on 95 you'd just think thats how they are normally I guess.

You will get alot worse fuel economy with 95oct as the ecu dumps in a butt load of fuel to offset the low octane detected through the knock sensor system- that combined with decreased timing means bad performance period.

It is actually possible to make very good power on 95oct- just has to be tuned to your setup.

Travel Express. dude- new doesnt always mean you know nothing, but you obviously are lacking in some knowledge areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old post... BUT

The last couple of track days i have filled up on Gull good force 10..

I was having a wee surf looking at different fuels and fond this..

Those Subarus which can use the 10 percent ethanol blended fuel have a 17 digit VIN number beginning with either JF1 or JF2. The VIN number can be found at the bottom of the central door pillar on the passenger�€™s side of the car or in the engine bay.

The second hand Japanese imports which should not use the ethanol blended fuel have VIN numbers starting with 7A8

A small number of models sold new in New Zealand cannot use the 10 percent blended fuel. They are.-

Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen from 1990 onwards; the Impreza STI from 1997 onwards and the Forester STI. They do not have JF1 or JF2 VIN numbers.

Owners who are not sure if they can use the ethanol-blended fuel in their car should consult their nearest Subaru Authorized Dealer.

IN SUMMARY

DO NOT USE Ethanol Blended Fuel �€“ E5 or E10 if your car is:

�€� A Subaru with VIN Number that starts with 7A8

or

�€� Second hand Japanese imported Subaru

or

�€� A New Zealand New Subaru that is any of these models:

- Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen

- Impreza STI

- Forester STI

Your car CAN USE Ethanol Blended Fuel �€“ E5 or E10

�€� Only New Zealand new Subarus models 1990 onwards with a VIN number beginning with JF1 or JF2 may use E5 or E10 blended fuels

Guest keltik

Yeah we figured it was bullshit and fill up on force 10 anyways. Many members have been using it long term with no troubles yet.

Have they ever said why the force 10 cannot be used in the older cars..

Only problems i could think would be

1 older rubber seals.

2 cat converter..

3 o2 sensor fouling..

Not sure..

1 not shown up yet on mine.

2 i have no cat. Bet not many people still do. LOL

3 has not shown up as a problem yet.. (maybe over time?)

Fuck it... I'm going to start my usual 20 litre can a week purchase of force 10 for raceday..

Guest keltik

1. yeah thats a valid concern but nobody seems to be having problems with it

2. dont think thats affected by running E blends

3. nope no lead in E10 so not a problem

I just find it hard to believe the NZDM cars are given all different rubber seals to the JDM ones. Seems far more likely Subaru are covering their ass against something else