Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

installing adjustable suspension

Hey guys

Getting Tein adjustable suspension installed in by legacy B4. where would you guys recommend getting it done in Auckland central area? Also how much should I look at paying for it plus how much does a cert cost?

Cheers

Do it yourself mate. Easy as.

Follow your nose.

You only need a few tools and some mechanical nause.

Cert depending on where you are costs anywhere from $400-$800 maybe more depending.

Prob $400-$450 if just doing your suspension.

Na easy. Just take all your measurements from centre of wheel to the bottom of the guard. Just make them all the same before you install them. Ie the bottom ring is 10mm from the bottom of the thread if you get that?

As long as you have the proper spanners its all good. And easy to wind down than up.

345mm is about normal measurement and should pass on a cert. That will give you the +/- 5% to 320mm which would put it right on the tyre.

does it matter what size rim and tyre I have? At the moment I have 17" but want to change to 18" should I get cert on 17" or wait till I get 18" wheels?

Guest boostcut

they do cert the wheel size as if you were to change to a 13 inch wheel it would then scrape on the ground. get your suspension installed at a suspension or tyre shop that does wheel alignments, as you will need one after fitting them and may as well do it all at the same time.

You dont have to legally cert mags though. If its on the car at the time of the cert they will make it part of the cert and check wheel nut turns etc.

If you put 18s on after the install you might have to raise it slightly.

Swindog']

If you put 18s on after the install you might have to raise it slightly.

Not if you get the correct profile tyre so then your outer circumference doesn't change.

Also +1 on getting the adjustables fitted by a suspension expert. They should know what they're doing, rather than someone having a random guess at fitting it all up correctly.

[quote name='Swindog said:

345mm is about normal measurement and should pass on a cert. That will give you the +/- 5% to 320mm which would put it right on the tyre.

If you want the car sitting down that low, why don't you set it up like that in the first place and get it certed at that height? Rather than getting it all checked and certed, then purposely changing the settings afterwards??

Because you get + or - 5% which is like 20mm at that height. 345mm is the height i have on the wrx so might be slightly different for the legacys but is a very usable height. It neither too high or too low

If you can fit it yourself why not? Save your money for the cert.

The +/- 5% is to accomodate changes in the car are isn't really supposed to be for you to play round with the height settings. Still don't understand why you'd want it certed at one height and then lower it further to drive round with everyday? Just set it at the right height to start off with.

As for fitting it yourself, only if you're confident with being able to get it to a level of reasonable safety. I had to fix a friends car last week after her boyfriend and a mate "sacked it on its ass" only to have two tyres get complete chewed to bits by rubbing on the springs. Also one of the struts was slowly lowering itself so that it wrecked a cv boot as wasn't far off rubbing on the joint itself all because nothing had been tightened up properly. They'd also left the car with backwards rake angle i.e. rear lower than front. Nothing was level anyway. One of these guys owns a well known show car and claims to know what he's on about too ::)

Shows hes a numpty then. Im no back yarder either spent my fair share with suspension guys. Built a few custom setups so im not being silly about the advice.

If you wanna sack it that much no point having adjusties. Youd need bags.

i think rims go on the cert just because if they didnt you could cert it at say 300mm (from guard to hub anit it) on 18" rims then chuck some smaller, say 13" ones and the 300mm guard to hub would be a shit load lower to the ground lol

pl0x said:

i think rims go on the cert just because if they didnt you could cert it at say 300mm (from guard to hub anit it) on 18" rims then chuck some smaller, say 13" ones and the 300mm guard to hub would be a **** load lower to the ground lol

Actually the guard to hub distance is used because it stays the same no matter what wheels you put on it.

The distance from the guard to the ground or undercarriage to the ground would be dramatically reduced though.

Koom']

[quote name='pl0x said:

i think rims go on the cert just because if they didnt you could cert it at say 300mm (from guard to hub anit it) on 18" rims then chuck some smaller, say 13" ones and the 300mm guard to hub would be a **** load lower to the ground lol

/quote]

Actually the guard to hub distance is used because it stays the same no matter what wheels you put on it.

The distance from the guard to the ground or undercarriage to the ground would be dramatically reduced though.

lmfao really?? haha there goes all my theory out the window lol, mhm epic fail