Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Brake pads for the track - what are your thoughts?

DacerX said:

you cant trust drunken at his word

I think he may even have evidence of him commenting on when i choose to mash the middle pedal

I seen to remember there being a camera on the inside of the windscreen of my car when he was there..

You should be able to hear him use some very descriptive words about my timing of brake application at the end of the front straight. (i think he may even have discussed my and Keltiks driving styles/personalities in that same piece of footage)

From a few calls around - Endless MX-72, Pagid Blue, and Ferodo DS2500 are all well over over $300+ GST

Bendix Ultimates are a bit closer to $200 from memory.

Then there\'s the Znoelli SP500 at just over $100. Seems to good to be true if they are any good on the track?

I actually remembered you ran Hawk pads so I gave Racetech a call. Unfortunately they\'re also over $300+ a set but they didn\'t have any in stock anyway

I just called Racebrakes in Auckland who were super helpful over the phone and have Ferodo TS2000\'s in stock for $200+ so I bit the bullet and bought those

Racebrakes are good guys.

TS2000s are great for the occasional track run.

Nothing wrong with Lucas/TRW pads !

At the time you couldn\'t get TS2000 for rears so many guys ran Lucas at the back.

Their fronts are pretty good too.

I\'d say better than Ultimates !

;D

newsuba said:

At the time you couldn\'t get TS2000 for rears so many guys ran Lucas at the back.

If that\'s in reference to my comment about not using the Repco pads, the ones I have here aren\'t TRW pads they are Repco branded "Thermo Quiet" pads

I\'ll probably use them anyway though haha

Flat4']

[quote name='newsuba said:

/quote]

If that\'s in reference to my comment about not using the Repco pads, the ones I have here aren\'t TRW pads they are Repco branded "Thermo Quiet" pads

I\'ll probably use them anyway though haha

What could go wrong ?

;)

Well I was a bit slow to spot this thread, but I have used most of the brake pads mentioned in this thread, so will add my 2 cents for anyone who cares.

Bear in mind I am no expert, just a guy who likes to go to the track sometimes and has done a couple of rallies in slow old cars, doesn\'t mean I know anything more than what I experienced with my driving style which will differ to other peoples driving or use off brakes. I generally haven\'t bought really flash/high performance pads as I don\'t do any serious track stuff and for sprints/rally it is more important to have a responsive pad than the ultimate in stopping power/heat management.

Ultimates - ran them in my CRX many hundreds of years ago and they were a step up from road pads and worked pretty well. As all cheap pads they do get too hot with a few laps and then turn to fire. Probably fairly similar to Zonelli\'s. I believe Al has had good luck running them in his STi, but the brakes in an STi are much better than a CRX, so not that surprising.

Zonelli - I used in Jasons V4 Type R at Manfield on road tyres and they died about as quickly as the tyres (4 laps roughly). I know of other people who had no issues using them, so I assume that means I am just a pussy and use the brakes too much. So in my opinion, they work, just don\'t expect them to be a big step up from factory pads. However, given the price, probably a good option as long as you aren\'t planning on doing heaps of laps (and in a road car Subaru you shouldn\'t do lots of laps anyway!).

Lucas/TRW - in an Evo with Brembos on semis at Taupo, couldn\'t catch them on fire, was boiling the factory fluid first. However, Brembos are big and dissipate heat really well. Not sure that 2 pots would handle the same even with those big rotors? But for the money I was impressed with them.

Ferodo - TS2000. Used in my old Legacy rally car, worked well, but in longer stages would overheat/catch fire and crumble. This was mostly due to no ducting to the brakes and factory 2 pots, as a general rule they are a substantial improvement over factory brake pads or the Zonelli\'s etc and will last a lot longer than ordinary pads before fire. Also quite a long lasting pad in general, I only replaced them once every 2 years?

Mintex 1166 - Similar to TS2000s, although a little better at handling the heat. You can get these applied to any backing plate by Racebrakes, but it isn\'t cheap to do. Make sure to thoroughly bed them in, otherwise they will disintegrate as I discovered the hard way!

Hawk - I ran Blues (step above the HP Plus/Sport options), in my Legacy and again they were similar to the Ferodos and Mintex, good midrange pad that doesn\'t require heaps of heat to get them working. Could still overheat them with a decent effort.

I have since run the HP Plus in my E30, done 5 track days and a couple of sprints on them and they are still going strong and wearing well. I run the expensive Elf HTX115 fluid and find I catch the pads on fire before boiling the fluid, normally this will happen at Manfeild after 4 hard laps. So it\'s well suited to light track duties or sprints, anything longer and they are a bit useless. Of course this is running little baby E30 brakes in a car with no power, so results will vary depending on the size of the calipers and rotors involved and their ability to dissipate heat...

I haven\'t run Endless or Pagid, but have heard lots of good stuff about both. Someone like Tony or Optical would probably be able to provide some good advice on them as they are much more serious with track work than me.

I would say the key in brakes is to change to high performance fluid such as Motul, Elf or Castrol. That will fix most of the pedal issues and give you a bit more confidence. In a road car pads are probably not really essential to upgrade as they will often go off at around the same point as road tyres and are a good indicator that you should let the car cool down. After that, pads help, but so does ducting and having effective heat dissipation (ie big rotors).

Vivian