Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Most common causes of high fuel use?

clintondane

Very possible the injector/ As correct combustion can only be achieved with correct fuel atomisation and vaporization prior to ignition during VE.

De capped injector cars are real bad on economy :D:o For exactly this reason.

Scan it too! best way 8)

My stock V7 WRX is getting about 475ks to a tank (around 8km per L) with about 60/40 motorway driving, does that seem a bit low?

I thought it was considering my old WRX was getting about that with straight through exhaust, and V7s are supposed to be better with gas i thought...

my old old old wrx got about 380-450 km to a tank around town raped it a lot around the hills and in chch during winter 2-3 cold starts and cold trips every day ect ect

The same car drove from chch to past picton raping it and got somewhere around the 600km + mark.

Personally don\'t think 370km is THAT bad depending on how you drive and how often/small the trips are. Those old wrx guzzle it. And my ver 1,2,3 have all been similar in consumption.

Just look at the simple stuff first before you assume a dud injector (why would a low km, untouched car have that happen out of nowhere?)

Clean afm

Check if 02 sensor is healthy (as you said they do genuinely get lazy with age and this does affect economy markedly). I had a vr4 lose 150ks per tank after killing the 02 with avgas, got 600k from 50l normally (open road) and could empty a tank in 300k worth of doing sweet laps round town & the summit road etc

Reset ecu for good fuel, it may be on low octane tables and improve with a reset

For any 10-20 year old turbo 4wd to better 10l per 100km in mixed driving, its doing pretty well. Around town even up to 15-18 is quite possible (especially a suby with a tmic which does zero good for heat soak and knock), and if youre the type of driver who brings it on boost every gear change it will chew gas like mad and it can be the tiniest change in driving style which can make a marked difference to actual economy.

Those cheap air fuel gauges are useless for tuning, but they ARE good for learning to keep a car in closed loop fuelling, as soon as it flicks to open loop (heavy load) thats where you start to see the gas disappearing. Kept open loop a turbo car can give better economy than an equivalent n/a motor by virtue of better efficiency

I haven\'t changed my driving style and as for boosting it, I just don\'t. I enjoy driving fast from time to time but only ever once I\'m already up to speed if you know what I mean?

I have no idea what you mean about the air fuel gauges? I\'m sorry but I\'m not that clued up. I keep meaning to call the mechanic and get them to scan it but the last few days here have been super shitty and I\'m on ACC for a while so motivation is low to say the least. I\'ll call and ask if they can do a real time scan and see if anything jumps out at them as needing attention. Hoping it\'s as simple as a dud AFM or O2 sensor.