Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Oddball swaybars and links in BH5

I tried to buy some new front sway bar links today, trying 2 different suppliers nothing matches up. I have a 20mm bar in front but my links (57mm c/c) have opposing ball joints top and bottom, suppliers can only find a dog bone type (my front links are on one hell of an angle). My rear bar is 16mm with ball joint links (70mm c/c) top and bottom, but apparently rear should be an 18mm bar with C-links?

People are trying to sell me these front links:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/suspension-braces/auction-667255598.htm

When I need these (photo 2):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=665793059

People are trying to sell me these rear C-links for an 18mm bar:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/suspension-braces/auction-667255646.htm

Which would suit this GC8 rear bar:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/suspension-braces/auction-666631696.htm

But my rear bar looks like this, other GC8 bar. Note the different link mounts:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/suspension-braces/auction-667779933.htm

Either way I only had one bad front link, so I\'ve ordered a pair of adjustable front ball joint type links (60-90mm). So I can add some length so they\'re not on such an angle.

Edit: Guess the same for the rear links, but I can\'t find sway bar mount bushes to suit the 16mm bar?

I brought the in Jan this year, I currently have 2 sets of alloy A-arms on my trademe watchlist. The fronts felt a bit soft lately then I got a knock in the front left which I thought was a strut. Check it out and discover I already have alloy A-arms so dirty I didn\'t know and the knocks just a sway link. LOL nice ;D

New Nolathane sway bar mount bushes as well:

9bL3VJl.jpg

Extra length for less angle at top ball joint:

71ULG7O.jpg

After photo:

r1ccvFx.jpg

I\'ll do the rears in a week or so.

sobanoodle said:

How much were the links and where did you buy them from?

$37.50 each retail price. I got them at \'Smiths Speed and Spares\' in Greymouth, I just rung him and he gets them from Bates Auto Line in Palmy 063565360

Edit: Bates Autolign/John Bates Auto Supplies 06 356 5380. Palmerston North

Rosssub said:

I brought the in Jan this year, I currently have 2 sets of alloy A-arms on my trademe watchlist. The fronts felt a bit soft lately then I got a knock in the front left which I thought was a strut. Check it out and discover I already have alloy A-arms so dirty I didn\'t know and the knocks just a sway link. LOL nice ;D

Would of been funny if you brought a set and went to fit them...Dumbass

Rosssub']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

/quote]

Would of been funny if you brought a set and went to fit them...Dumbass

+1, At least now you have a part on your car to match the pretty sticker. ;)

w2ceApq.jpg

Rosssub']

[quote name='sobanoodle said:

How much were the links and where did you buy them from?

/quote]

$37.50 each retail price. I got them at \'Smiths Speed and Spares\' in Greymouth, I just rung him and he gets them from Bates Auto Line in Palmy 063565360

Edit: Bates Autolign/John Bates Auto Supplies 06 356 5380. Palmerston North

Which means you can get them from any BNT as they OWN Autolign

I still can\'t find rear sway bar mount bushes to suit my 16mm bar. Nolathane make a 16mm bush (42916) that\'s close but too big for my brackets, Whiteline do nothing for Subaru in 16mm. The only reference I can find to a 16mm Subaru rear sway bar is a 2009 WRX seen here:

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1551

Here\'s pretty much all Subaru sway bars/interchangeable parts and none of the 16mm bars listed would fit my BH rear because of spare wheel lump:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/swaybar-faq-134646.html

Edit: Or I\'ll end up keeping the close fitting Nolathanes (42916) which are from a Celica or Hilux and just hope their brackets have the same bolting pattern?

To be honest you making it alot harder than it has to be....

Superpro have a listing of SPF1383-16k but at the moment i know of no one in the country that has them. You mite be surprised that genuine arent that much at all and will fit the brackets that you have. And no landcrusier and celica brackets wont work with your legacy.

DacerX said:

To be honest you making it alot harder than it has to be....

Superpro have a listing of SPF1383-16k but at the moment i know of no one in the country that has them. You mite be surprised that genuine arent that much at all and will fit the brackets that you have. And no landcrusier and celica brackets wont work with your legacy.

How am I making it harder? I\'m only trying to find a bush that fits. No the Superpro ones won\'t fit, same deal with all the others I\'ve seen. That\'s a front Bush like the top this pic:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuDNifYZcEPzYO16Ayhoq

I need the rears bottom of pic fronts are done.

Edit: Currently waiting to hear back from local Subaru shop. Gave them the vin (Jap import) code off top of my chassis tag BH5-089234, which they said tells exactly which size/type of bars/bushes should be fitted OEM.

DacerX, I have no local Subaru workshop/dealer. Nearest is a good 1.5hr return trip at 103kph, or waiting/paying for a courier or worse paying freight from Japan on top because they don\'t carry any stock here. My original parts guy that sold me the links tried his "Subaru Guy" and was told "Nope, nothing in 16mm he must have changed his bar". So I jumped on here for guidance ;)

Just got a call back from, Going off the above Import code she gets an order number but no description or size, so is emailing her supplier for sizes before ordering as they don\'t have stock ::)

• 2 weeks later...
 Rosssub said:

Edit: Currently waiting to hear back from local Subaru shop. Gave them the vin (Jap import) code off top of my chassis tag BH5-089234, which they said tells exactly which size/type of bars/bushes should be fitted OEM.

Well, I had Local Subaru order the rear bushes. Part #20464-AE010 $27 each, turned up and they\'re a 15mm bush. I could of squished them in but sent them back and ordered #20464-AE020 which going off the Subaru numbers on ebay should be the 16mm rear OEM bush...Fingers crossed ::)

Stock rear on mine is only 15mm lol. Someone at some stage has changed it to a 16mm, bar is marked M9 16 with a pink paint dot in the middle. My rear sway mount brackets and new 16mm bushes are marked with a blue dot. Just noticed it did still have the 15mm bushes in the rear squished in, probably why they slogged out to over 17mm.

After feeling the difference of new sway bushes and links I want bigger sway bars. Currently 20mm front and 16mm rear, looking around online it looks like the best options for price delivered/size/make is these Cusco 23mm front and 20mm rear at $472.15F&R delivered from RHD Japan:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/pinpoint_result?carMake=Subaru&carModel=Legacy+Touring+Wagon&carDetail=BH5+Applied+B+%28Zenki+-+5%2F99-4%2F00%29+Eng%3A+EJ20&manufacturerOp=like&pp_manufacturer=CUSCO&category=40883&category1=All&partNumberOp=like&partNumber=&featuresOp=like&features=Aftermarket+Parts&keyWordOp=like&keyWord=sway&sku=

Would 23F 20R be a good balanced upgrade, or should I be matching front and rear a bit closer? I definitely want the back end stiffer than it is...So I guess could just try the Cusco 20mm rear first? ($240ish, car has Cusco adjustable\'s) Or would that make the front feel soft?

I\'ve never upgraded sway bars before, so any input appreciated.

I\'ve got a Cusco 21/21 set + Whitline/Nolathane bushes - huge difference from stock (well that\'s what my butt-o-meter says anyway). Would love to go for a ride in a completely stock Legacy now, just for a comparison, get used to all the changes and stop noticing them. $450 delivered for the whole set isn\'t that bad imho (remember you get the bushes as well).