Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Re registering a car?

tydon

when you have car thats de rego\'d and for example you had a few modifications on it frontmount,bigger wheels, stuff that would require a cert when you take car to be re registered does it get a cert at the same time for the mods? and does it cost more?

depends on whos doing the compliance.i just re registered an evo and it needed a cert for biggers wheels and adjusties,battery in boot.if the front mount piping is tidy and you havnt made a mess of the chassis you should be fine.youll need to pay $450-500 for compliance then another $400-500 for cert if required.if i was you id go get compliance with standard wheels and see if the front mount passes so you dont need cert.its a bad idea to get your car certed for wheels because you have to stick to that size once certed.if you go with standard size wheels you can change them to bigger ones after compliance

• 1 year later...

Bumping this old thread as it's better to have all the info in one place - sorry in advance ;)

Can anyone with experience shed some light on what's involved with the re-registration "safety check"? Some people have said it's just a thorough wof, others are saying it's panels off, interior out etc...

• Admin
 NVADER said:
Bumping this old thread as it's better to have all the info in one place - sorry in advance ;)

Can anyone with experience shed some light on what's involved with the re-registration "safety check"? Some people have said it's just a thorough wof, others are saying it's panels off, interior out etc...

It's somewhere between the 2. It's the same as entry certification on an import, so yes, it's removal of some trim and underbody panels and interior to thoroughly check the condition of the vehicle.

It's supposed to just be to VIRM standard (WOF) but apparently you can get stung for heaps of tinny **** that would fly through a WoF.

They are very hard on modified cars and crash repaired cars. I know a guy who had to replace the front chassis rails because they had been repaired previously.

The repair was good, and had passed WOFs, but not good enough for re compliance.

Just got the reply below from VTNZ on this. Doesn't sound as ruthless as the local inspector made out but still seems a bit ridiculous to me - a WoF is a WoF. If a vehicle can pass a normal WoF, it should be safe to drive on the road regardless of whether the registration has been paid or not as not having a current rego has (obviously) zero effect on the safety of the car. More to the point; what makes VTNZ and the AA any more qualified than anyone else to carry out vehicle inspections? Anyway...here's what they said.

- What is involved with the ‘safety check’? ie. Is this a thorough warrant of fitness check, or will the inspector be taking the interior/exterior panels off? If the latter is true, where can I obtain a copy of the inspection manual that is used?

Yes there is some removal of interior trims required and exterior trims such as the inner guard liners. See link to the Entry Certification VIRM: http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/i-and-c/vehicle-structure/inspection-specifications

You will also need to refer to the brake section as brakes are also disassembled. http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/i-and-c/brakes/inspection-specifications

- When the car was registered, it had an LVVC for adjustable suspension which is still in the vehicle (as is the LVVC plate); does this still stand? If not, is it acceptable to just install factory suspension or is there more to it than that?

The LVVTA Certification plate is still valid provided the modifications detailed on the plate match the vehicle. If you were to return the vehicle back to standard you would have to have the vehicle assessed by a LVV certifier for the plate to be removed or amended.

- Can I get a pre-‘safety check’ done so that I can take my time to fix any issues prior to it going through the actual test? If so how much does this cost?

We can do a pre-compliance check, however there is a risk that some issues are not identified as unless we remove trims etc. it cannot be completely inspected

i do compliance most days and i know whats involved. pretty much its a very strict wof including the removal and inspection of brakes. all parts must meet standards. so if you replaced lights/glass or brakes with no or wrong standrads they will fail.

interior trim removal requred is all panels to access seams around all doors/boot and access to all seatbelt mounts. there can be no rust/damage around them.

front inner guards are removed. even if vehicle was repaired for an impact previous and passed wof it may fail compliance and you will need a repair cert to find out quality of repair