Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

I'm immagrating to NZ from SA need advice on buying Subaru

What\'s up guys, I\'m moving to New Zealand at the end of March beginning of April, and I desperately want to get my hands on a Subaru! I can\'t put a fixed amount but I will have roughly between 3000-3500. I know the car will need work for that price. But I will do it. Is this advisable? Any help will be appreciated!

Personal preference overall, I\'d start looking on Trademe.co.nz comparing prices. Gives you a good idea of the NZ market too. $3500 for a wagon you could easily go Legacy or Impreza, I prefer the Legacy for room (tools) and looks but anything pre 2004 is twin turbo which most people don\'t really like due to VOD (flat spot during change from single to twin).

D3v5t0n3 said:

From Durban Kwazulu-natal! Thanks! What would you recommend for my first Subaru? I like the look of wagons, but I\'m not sure of the Legacy or the Impreza wagon

Where about in Durbs? I was born in Addington Hospital, spent my first 7 years in Montclair, then a couple in Umbilo, Then Malvern, moved to Pennington on the South Coast. I went to Maritzburg College before I was expelled and did matric in Scottburgh. Lol

I\'ve been in NZ for 10 years now and love it, you will too. As for the choice of cars, an early impreza should be in your price range? The twin turbo Legacy\'s are very cool but I\'m biased, Lol

clintondane']

[quote name='D3v5t0n3 said:

From Durban Kwazulu-natal! Thanks! What would you recommend for my first Subaru? I like the look of wagons, but I\'m not sure of the Legacy or the Impreza wagon

/quote]

Where about in Durbs? I was born in Addington Hospital, spent my first 7 years in Montclair, then a couple in Umbilo, Then Malvern, moved to Pennington on the South Coast. I went to Maritzburg College before I was expelled and did matric in Scottburgh. Lol

I\'ve been in NZ for 10 years now and love it, you will too. As for the choice of cars, an early impreza should be in your price range? The twin turbo Legacy\'s are very cool but I\'m biased, Lol

VRYSTAAT!

Saw a BH5 Legacy GTB for $3500 today...

Haha Aweh! A fellow Durbanite! :D I was actually born in Randburg in jozi, moved to kzn for the first 3 years, then Capetown for 10, back to joburg south for 4 and now I\'m back in Durbs for 2 and a half years now! But I was home schooled.. I\'m in Pinetown at the moment! Soon to be Christchurch. I love the look of an early Impreza! But the Legacy isn\'t bad.. I like the look of the Impreza wagon when its lowered on nice 17"/18" 5 spoke wheels.. And I looove the wrx! But I have seen some good looking Legacys on trademe, very few Imprezas compared though

• General Member

Just quietly I think in that price range you will struggle to find a WRX that hasnt been rolled bowled and assholed for at least 180 thousand kms. If you can stretch out to 4-5k you might get close to the money you will need for a decent WRX.

You may however find a decent TT Legacy for that 3-3.5k price that hasnt been so abused. Normally I advocate WRX over all (Biased lol) but no use buying a WRX that will be a paperweight inside 3 months because you cant afford to fix the BEB it has run.

Just my 2c. Good luck with your move and make sure you supply us all with pics when you get a Subi :)

That does make a lot of sense. I agree that the Impreza will be thrashed a lot more than the Legacy. I think starting on the legacy would be a wise move.. As you say I don\'t want to have a paperweight in the driveway after 3 months of owning it! If I get a legacy I\'ll consider the sedan.. Its obviously lighter than the wagon!

I think you need to think about what youre buying the car for

You dont buy a legacy for super gofast, if you want a speedy car get the wrx, the weight difference between a sedan and wagon is negligible but the difference between impreza and legacy is not

If you want a decent wrx, save more $$ --but-- you\'ll get something for that money. Just be prepared to do a lot of shopping around and compromising a bit on kms, condition or year

I noticed you said moving here with your dad, have you looked into insurance costs for a turbo subaru? (Im guessing youre pretty young by the posts?)

Not trying to be an ass, put simply nz has a very cheap used car market and youll find something no trouble, just maybe dont overthink it before you get here

I\'m 19 so I\'m young but I\'m not a child. I have been driving legally over a year but I learnt to drive at 13.. I don\'t actually think the WRX is a wise move just yet.. The legacy wagon isn\'t super fast I know that, but going from my current 20+ year old opel kadett 1.4 carb.. Even the big Legacy GTB is going to shunt.. I think it may be a good car to start on.. And I haven\'t looked at insurance just yet.. I understand that I may seem slightly immature or eager from all the posts and what not.. But the very first car that I have ever wanted was a subaru so I\'m over excited :P

The point I think Marky\'s making is that regardless how much driving experience you have or how mature, the combination of your age and having a turbo car will all drive your insurance cost up, so will be something to consider.

Either way though, all the best for the move and car buying, I hope it all goes well!

Sorry man.. I don\'t mean to sound like I\'m tuning :\ I know that insurance is not gonna be cheap.. And I appreciate the advice and help! Thank you to everyone! Would it work if I put the car under my dads name and me as a main driver?

At a guess $1000plus per year. Turbo and subaru makes them soo popular with thieves as its a 20sec job to break into them. Insuring under your dads name is the easy way around it but will make your excess $1000 or so.

If you bought a 3k car I wouldnt bother with full cover just third party fire/theft.

I\'m 19 and I was paying just under $95 a month for full insurance on my wrx with a clean record (due to years driving vs number of claims) with an excess of $1200

I thought that was crazy expensive

Your price range I would go a legacy, nice car to drive lots of go compared to what you\'ve had. If you pick up one that\'s been used only for highway driving you\'ll have a good car