Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Inside the BBOD

Rosssub

Just pulled 2 degrees of global timing and increased EBC duty cycle - car feels much more responsive, boost comes on quicker and VOD is more of a changeover. May have just been the cold air...

Still some lag between gears - might have to clean BBOD solenoids/filters....thinking something may be sticking open/slow to close...cos once its back on boost, it kicks you in the back!

B4_685 via Tapatalk HD

B4_685 said:

Just pulled 2 degrees of global timing and increased EBC duty cycle - car feels much more responsive, boost comes on quicker and VOD is more of a changeover. May have just been the cold air...

Still some lag between gears - might have to clean BBOD solenoids/filters....thinking something may be sticking open/slow to close...cos once its back on boost, it kicks you in the back!

When you say "Pulled 2 degrees of Global Timing". Did you Advance or Retard it? Why? Any Pinging?

Altering your EBC Duty Cycle made the Gains your feeling.

You have a Rev D-Tuneable ECU, just get a Tune. ;)

Pulled timing for det control(retard) til I can get it tuned for 98. It doesnt det til top mount gets warm in traffic. Been talking to SAS about road tune when I get time. Its my daily so cant afford to take it off the road - maybe when I get a block of days off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have a Subaru legacy rs bd5 1993 auto twin turbo. I got a mbc and boost gauge and tapped into the primary source and wastegate removing hose with restrictor pill going into source port (line 23). as the mbc t I have IS the restrictor. then off to my mbc which has a vent on it(turbosmart in cabin mbc)

After amping boost up works sweet on primary but for some reason I wasn\'t getting boost on my secondary. I also put the 0.8mm pill into line 1 about 50mm as recommended.

with this setup it felt strong up until I believe twin mode shud engage. my boost gague seemed eratic whilst accelerating and decelerating etc.

I capped off hose 23 from oem boost solenoid and left 10 connected. ej20h.

I cudnt understand why in top end my boost was still 0.5 or thereabouts. however I saw on another forum uklegacy I think it was that you could cap off line 2 both ends on the bbod.

after I did that also what a difference!! it was holding the boost nice and right up through to twin turbo mode.

my question is this? ive disengaged the prespool solenoid by blocking line 2 will this have an effect on the restrictor pill in line 1. from what I understand line 1 is the icav and line 2 is the ecv . I used logic to reason it shouldnt affect each other but im only a jigsaw maker NOT a guy who really knows his stuff. can you help me rossub or anyone here. cheers. nice to see nz owning Subaru\'s as this thread is the best one of any forum sites ive searched and is even referenced to by uklegacy

also my boost gauge is t\'d into line 11 near the bbod. is this the right place to get the best reading? cheers

also could my bbod just need a good cleanout solenoids maybe the ecv solenoid is stuck?

I think a 93 BD would have a Secondary Waste Gate as well. My BH5 only has one Waste Gate controlling Both Turbos.

So you will need another MBC on your Secondary Waste Gate.

Edit: RE - line 2 in the BBOD. This controls your Exhaust Control Valve, which opens for Exhaust Flow to the Secondary. Your ECV must be blowing open, or locked shut. So your Primary Turbo is making all the Boost, pretty much locked in Siingle.

Hose #11 is perfect for Boost Gauge, Map Sensor Hose.

hi ross thank you for replying does that mean there is a source port on the secondary turbo so id have to find it in the jumble of heatshield and cables ? it does look like an actuator on top I can see the ecv actuator and the icav also under the intercooler. the primary source was reasonably tight space to get into. am I able to use primary source port then t to both wastegate actuators? with my mbc in between running like parallel in turbosmart manual any ideas bud thank you btw for your expertise on the matter :D

so with line 2 blocked is my car only getting all its boost from primary only? the line number going from the bbod to the secondary actuator is 8. cud I block that and run the wastegates both of my primary tapped mbc? effectively blocking primary and secondary boost control solenoids block hose 8 from bbod and parallel to one mbc?

edit: damn it I just realised by blocking hose 2 its only running boost from primary not both. so id need reconnect. my boost is still horrible 0.5bar in twin mode do you think my solenoids to line 8 myte be dirty?

tankbot34 said:

hi ross thank you for replying does that mean there is a source port on the secondary turbo so id have to find it in the jumble of heatshield and cables ? it does look like an actuator on top I can see the ecv actuator and the icav also under the intercooler. the primary source was reasonably tight space to get into. am I able to use primary source port then t to both wastegate actuators? with my mbc in between running like parallel in turbosmart manual any ideas bud thank you btw for your expertise on the matter :D

so with line 2 blocked is my car only getting all its boost from primary only? the line number going from the bbod to the secondary actuator is 8. cud I block that and run the wastegates both of my primary tapped mbc?

No, you will need 2 MBC\'s. One on each Waste Gate Actuator Hose.

With hose 2 blocked, the ECV can\'t open. Primary doing all the work.

Hose #8 goes to the Secondary Relief Valve on my Car. Earlier TT\'s may have a different setup?

thanks ross. im assuming that I have a secondary wastegate on my secondary turbo which goes line 8 to bbod. I havnt cleaned out bbod yet but I guess ill start there then if it doesn\'t improve with line 2 reconnected. I may have to assume my actuators stuck or my ecv actuators stuck? wud that be a good plan to follow. ive obviously taken the primary solenoid out of the equation. can ecv or wastegate actuators go bung? or is it usually a vaccum problem bbod solenoids?

tankbot34 said:

Hi guys

I have a Subaru legacy rs bd5 1993 auto twin turbo. I got a mbc and boost gauge and tapped into the primary source and wastegate removing hose with restrictor pill going into source port (line 23). as the mbc t I have IS the restrictor. then off to my mbc which has a vent on it(turbosmart in cabin mbc)

After amping boost up works sweet on primary but for some reason I wasn\'t getting boost on my secondary. I also put the 0.8mm pill into line 1 about 50mm as recommended.

with this setup it felt strong up until I believe twin mode shud engage. my boost gague seemed eratic whilst accelerating and decelerating etc.

I capped off hose 23 from oem boost solenoid and left 10 connected. ej20h.

I cudnt understand why in top end my boost was still 0.5 or thereabouts. however I saw on another forum uklegacy I think it was that you could cap off line 2 both ends on the bbod.

after I did that also what a difference!! it was holding the boost nice and right up through to twin turbo mode.

my question is this? ive disengaged the prespool solenoid by blocking line 2 will this have an effect on the restrictor pill in line 1. from what I understand line 1 is the icav and line 2 is the ecv . I used logic to reason it shouldnt affect each other but im only a jigsaw maker NOT a guy who really knows his stuff. can you help me rossub or anyone here. cheers. nice to see nz owning Subaru\'s as this thread is the best one of any forum sites ive searched and is even referenced to by uklegacy

also my boost gauge is t\'d into line 11 near the bbod. is this the right place to get the best reading? cheers

also could my bbod just need a good cleanout solenoids maybe the ecv solenoid is stuck?

I found that having my boost gauge in hose 11 gave false readings at vacuum and that hose 12 to be more accurate. I have a bg5a like yours. Also with an mbc you could try setting it up like how apexi recommend for their avc-r by linking the two wastegates via a tee join and blocking the hose off at the BBoD...

5epy7aza.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thank you both so much rossub and les i think ill go the way of the apexi with my mbc linking both wastegates blocking end of hose 8 from bbod blocking hose 10 from inlet as im assuming apexi and subaru musta sorted that out on how to ebc on a bg5a :)) i wudnt have known wea to start hadnt i found this thread and am grateful to u for that . :) ill keep the pill in line 1 as that shud still help with vod if i dnt get boost at top end ill check bbod and then if all comes to worst the turbo will need replace cheers guys :) also les can i t my boost gauge in line 12 close to the bbod? wea hav u gt urs located? shot boys

les666 said:

I have mine t\'d in close to the manifold. But anywhere on that line should be sweet. Yeah I found that I got quite high vac readings on hose 11.

As said, Hose #11 is perfect for Boost Gauge.

Les666 you must have 11 and 12 reversed at your BBOD.

11 is Map

12 is Vac Feed for Vac Tank.

Early RS does not use both wastegates, the second got deleted for that reason in later revisions

Can you hear it change over? Might be as simple as the secondary BOV being stuck open, intercooler valve staying shut or exhaust valve not opening

Or the turbos dead

Rosssub']

[quote name='les666 said:

I have mine t\'d in close to the manifold. But anywhere on that line should be sweet. Yeah I found that I got quite high vac readings on hose 11.

/quote]

As said, Hose #11 is perfect for Boost Gauge.

Les666 you must have 11 and 12 reversed at your BBOD.

11 is Map

12 is Vac Feed for Vac Tank.

Sorry dude! I got it all around the wrong way! Yes hose 12 is the one I run my boost gauge from. Also I should mention that the "Rosssub hose mod" works a treat! On my bg5a when it used to hit preparatory stage it dumped almost all boost and took forever to build up again. Now with my zerosports sequential controller set to 4500 and the pill in the iacv hose boost drops marginally and builds a lot quicker.

s*** so im t\'d into line 11 which is the map?? just to confirm am I meant to have t\'d into 12?? also marky I noticed that the apexi hosing diagram that les sent has 2 wastegates secondary and primary for my second gen engine ej20h?? I changed to the apexi setup running t hose to both wastegates and block off 10 and 23 as that diagram suggests with mbc on primary. im hitting the boost 1bar holding then switching but now im confused as I wonder wat vac im reading my t\'s in line 11! arghhh ahahahaha suppose it wont hurt to just strait thru connect again 11 and put the gauge into 12 as rossub says after all if that\'s the vac feed that\'s wea it shud go. lol. also r the be/bh bd/bg bbod vac plumbing

different or sumthin any1 know?

EDIT: just as an aside to this the previous setup was mbc on primary as usual on only primary wastegate 10 and 23 blocked off on boost solenoid in fender(engine bay) with secondary wastgate hose coming from line 6 bbod connected.

but, wat I did was apparently according to someone called telekamus on another forum block both the bbod hose 2 ends on hose and bbod and man wat a massive boost gain I got. It was torquy as boost pulling hard right up to around 100km. he says this disengages the prespool solenoid and "This will stop any boost lost to prespool from the primary turbo"

here is link

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=27609

wat are your thoughts guys on this? its hard finding info on the bd5/bg5 setups for tt but they must be same surely and be/bh? your views?

tankbot34 said:

s*** so im t\'d into line 11 which is the map?? just to confirm am I meant to have t\'d into 12?? also marky I noticed that the apexi hosing diagram that les sent has 2 wastegates secondary and primary for my second gen engine ej20h?? I changed to the apexi setup running t hose to both wastegates and block off 10 and 23 as that diagram suggests with mbc on primary. im hitting the boost 1bar holding then switching but now im confused as I wonder wat vac im reading my t\'s in line 11! arghhh ahahahaha suppose it wont hurt to just strait thru connect again 11 and put the gauge into 12 as rossub says after all if that\'s the vac feed that\'s wea it shud go. lol. also r the be/bh bd/bg bbod vac plumbing

different or sumthin any1 know?

EDIT: just as an aside to this the previous setup was mbc on primary as usual on only primary wastegate 10 and 23 blocked off on boost solenoid in fender with secondary wastgate hose coming from line 6 bbod connected.

but, wat I did was apparently according to someone called telekamus on another forum block both the bbod hose 2 ends on hose and bbod and man wat a massive boost gain I got. It was torquy as boost pulling hard right up to around 100km. he says this disengages the prespool solenoid and "This will stop any boost lost to prespool from the primary turbo"

here is link

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=27609

wat are your thoughts guys on this? its hard finding info on the bd5/bg5 setups for tt but they must be same surely and be/bh? your views?

No keep it in 11! That\'s where mine is!

• 1 month later...
 Rosssub said:
"VOD gone in 24hrs" 8)

Perfection, "ABSOLUTE PERFECTION". 0.8mm Restrictor Pill into Hose #1 at the BBOD (IACV Vac Control Hose)

- Primary Boost Loss throughout the entire VOD is less than 2psi. 8)

- Primary Boost Loss to Full TT Boost is less than one second. 8)

- Completely smooth and powerful transition into Full TT, just more "then more" power. :o

- Stable Boost throughout entire RPM range. 8)

- No Boost Spikes. 8)

- No CEL\'s at all, through entire testing. 8)

I "HIGHLY RECOMMEND" everyone that owns a TT Subaru with a BBOD. Fit a 0.8mm Restrictor Pill into Hose #1.

If you have fitted an \'EBC\' or \'MBC\', then your Primary Waste Gate \'OEM\' Hose contains a 0.8mm Restrictor Pill.

- Push the "OEM Pill" out, with a piece of wire.

- Pull hose # 1 from the top/front port of the BBOD.

- insert the Pill into hose 1, use wire to push it up the hose at least 50mm (2 inches).

- Refit hose 1 onto BBOD.

- GO and enjoy your TT Subaru, the way that Subaru should have built it. :)

If you do not have a 0.8mm Restrictor Pill, the OEM Subaru Part Number is:

0.8mm Pill - 22326AA260

1.0mm Pill - 22326AA010

Subaru Pill Part Number Source:

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/48287-restrictor-pill-what-why-you-need.html

Amazing. ;D

Who can I get said restrictor pills from Ross?

Ring your nearest Subaru and order by part number, or find a wreaked TT and steal the waste gate hose, (or hose #2 inside BBOD).

I found the 0.8mm spot on, never ended up using a 1.0mm (other than bench testing).