Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STi's vs Evos throughout the Versions.

subypower

Was just wondering if anyone knows how close the equivalent model STI and Evo were in performance back in the day.

i.e. Was a version 3 STi better than, worse than or comparable to an Evo 3 from a performance perspective.

Wondering if any particular STi version was significantly better or worse than its Evo counterpart?

Thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pick the evo 1-3 over the V1-3 purely on fast and interior even taking the roof rust into account

V4 over the evo 4 as the evo interior is fugly and no 4 pots

Evo 5-6 over the V5/6 sti as more potential in stock form, reflashable, brembos, awesome seats

Evo 7 over the V7 for the above although both flashable

V8 over the evo 8 purely on looks

V9 over the evo 9 as above and a decent PCD

Have to go evo 10 over the V10 as they are both butt ugly the latter worse but the V11 hatch is awesome.

Tough call on VR4 over RS. Probably the VR as theyre less common and hard to find a nice example. Both proved relatively unbreakable but the VR4 bottom end can handle more and the heads flow heaps for big power builds vs evo.

Early GSR CD5A shape vs WRX 160fkw version, go the gsr or libero as easily modded to go very well and nicer interior. Rust aside again.

Later shape GSR CM5A shape I would go V4- Wrx anyday on the interior.

Later stuff doesnt feature/isnt comparable imo. All evos hold their value better also which is kind of a drawcard.

evowrx said:

I would pick the evo 1-3 over the V1-3 purely on fast and interior even taking the roof rust into account

Evo 5-6 over the V5/6 sti as more potential in stock form, reflashable, brembos, awesome seats

Have to go evo 10 over the V10 as they are both butt ugly the latter worse but the V11 hatch is awesome.

Tough call on VR4 over RS. Probably the VR as theyre less common and hard to find a nice example. Both proved relatively unbreakable but the VR4 bottom end can handle more and the heads flow heaps for big power builds vs evo.

Early GSR CD5A shape vs WRX 160fkw version, go the gsr or libero as easily modded to go very well and nicer interior. Rust aside again.

Later stuff doesnt feature/isnt comparable imo. All evos hold their value better also which is kind of a drawcard.

V10 ugly ??? Wot.

BUGEYESTI']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Have to go evo 10 over the b]V10[/b] as they are both butt ugly the latter worse but the V11 hatch is awesome.

V10 ugly ??? Wot.

You heard right.

evowrx']

[quote name='newsuba said:

V10 and all V11/12 hatches/sedans are butt ugly !

;D

/quote]

Nose ugly imo. Butts just fine.

+1 on this

2003-2005ish was when Subaru designers had it down, the Impreza, Legacy and Forester were all the best looking they have ever been. Since then its been downhill.

From the Evo 5 upwards I think they spanked the Sti in most regards performance wise 7 vs 7 was pretty close from what I remember reading. Unsure bout earlier models never payed attention to them back then I was a rotor fan in my younger years

Ill also say sti and evo at random for my own arbitrary reasons

Short answer is none are light years ahead or behind of the other, they were literally competing models right the way through and theres little pros and cons to them all

The argument even extends as far as vr4 vs legacy when you split that wee bloodline off too

Marky said:

Ill also say sti and evo at random for my own arbitrary reasons

Short answer is none are light years ahead or behind of the other, they were literally competing models right the way through and theres little pros and cons to them all

The argument even extends as far as vr4 vs legacy when you split that wee bloodline off too

What this may says is the truth..

It\'s an argument that continues til this day and is basically how long is a piece of string, if you are looking at performance wise ie a modding, evo\'s always were able to get extra power easily with alot less chances for things to go bang prior to the v7-8 model. But in stock form they each have their pro\'s/con\'s with neither having a dominant model over the other.

Basically general rule of thumb that has been accepted is utilise the bum-o-meter. Give them a test drive and see what suits you, as I\'ve known people come back to wrx\'s after getting an evo and vice versa. IMO - I like the feel of the sti\'s and the bonnet scoop hits the right spot, but another person may think they are ugly and prefer the angles of an evo.

I reckon with all pre evo 7/V7 the evo feel raw and feel like they need to be driven on song whereas the wrx/sti are a lot nicer as a family car/day tripper. My cars not stock but still nice to drive on a 500km round trip aside from no A/C. Subaru are just so much more refined up to V7 imo over the mitzi counterpart. Evo/V7- is all about selling a car thats fast but a 60yo can own without looking like a boy racer.

personal experience on these models only:

1)

my v3 sti and v4 sti were a lot quicker than my brother in laws evo 4

2)

my v7 RA was quicker than my brother in laws vvo 6 and 6.5

3)

my v7 ra was only fractionally quicker than his evo 7

but the interior on the sti was soooo much better in all aspects

not tested any other near stock versions

once modified then its anyones game

also remember gents, the STI was known for being a "drivers" car as they didn\'t come with driving aids such as AYC as the EVO did which I believe started from EVO4 - onwards which made the EVO\'s a lot faster around track, and twisty roads so you had to drive the STI hard without computer assistance. :)

my personal Experience and choice

Legacy RSRA

EVO 1 RS

Sti RA v2

STi RA v3

STI RA V4

STI RA V5

EVO 6.5 TM

STI RA V7

evowrx']

[quote name='gotasuby said:

I rate evo 4 and 5 real bad as the one we have been dealing with lately has been problem after problem. diffs, gearboxs etc

/quote]

4 is the odd one, 5 and 6 are the pair there. Few improvements and aesthetics not a lot.

Love Evo 5 & 6, but I reckon Evo 4\'s are dogs, have been in two of them now both stock and wasnt very impressed with the performance. It felt like my RS-RA was quicker!

evowrx said:

I reckon with all pre evo 7/V7 the evo feel raw and feel like they need to be driven on song whereas the wrx/sti are a lot nicer as a family car/day tripper. My cars not stock but still nice to drive on a 500km round trip aside from no A/C. Subaru are just so much more refined up to V7 imo over the mitzi counterpart. Evo/V7- is all about selling a car thats fast but a 60yo can own without looking like a boy racer.

speaks the truth ::)

It depends on where you want to drive them and what versions you are talking. Regular "base" models I think Clarkson was bang on. The EVO for the track but STi for a daily.

Once you start getting into more hardcore versions then it depends on which one you like the look of. SXXX, Spec C/RA-R versions from GDB App B (V8) offered more than what Mitsubishi did. The MR was supposed to be their hardcore model but all you really got was an alloy roof and some different paint/detailing.

More or less agree.

Up to v4 both ranges were close.

Evo 4 put Mitsi ahead on tech, a lead they would hold over every subsequent STI.

STI had soul, Evos got more clinical.

Evo MRs had all sorts of fancy stuff but also most of the GSR luxo trimmings.

The real hardcore models were the stripper RS models and the crazy Ralliart FQ cars.

newsuba said:

More or less agree.

Up to v4 both ranges were close.

Evo 4 put Mitsi ahead on tech, a lead they would hold over every subsequent STI.

STI had soul, Evos got more clinical.

Evo MRs had all sorts of fancy stuff but also most of the GSR luxo trimmings.

The real hardcore models were the stripper RS models and the crazy Ralliart FQ cars.

Agree with this, the later Evo\'s lost there soul and just feel industrial.

Just bought an Evo 9 GSR, previously owned many Subarus(5 Stis V4-9, and 4 Legacys). Comparing to my V9 Sti, they are pretty comparable in power and response. I think the EJ207 is a smoother motor than the 4G63, but as we all know the Evo engine is a bit more stout and has more power potential in stock form. Interior I feel the Sti is better overall, feels more nicely finished, although the Evo has better seats and steering wheel.

Where the Evo 9 beats out the V9 though is grip and handling, the steering is more responsive, it doesnt understeer as bad, feels more nimble, in my opinion. Havent driven far in it yet but thats my first impression so far. Dont get me wrong though I found the V9 to be very good in the handling stakes, the best of all the Sti\'s Ive owned in fact. Just the Evo feels another step up thanks to the AYC trickery, etc.

Through the generations, I think both breeds have their pros and cons, both are excellent performance cars !