Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Secondary Turbo Removal/Replacement

Rosssub

I started by removing the lower engine cover, then jacked the front up and placed on axle stands. Then drained the coolant through the coolant drain bung/radiator bung:

Secondary_out_018.jpg

I saved the coolant for reuse:

Secondary_out_019.jpg

Then while the car's raised, unbolt the secondary down pipe's gear box mount/brace bolt:

Secondary_out_021.jpg

Then remove both down pipes lower mount bolts and all flange bolts:

Secondary_out_022.jpg

Then remove the lower turbo heat shield bolts:

Secondary_out_015.jpg

Then lower the car and set up for surgery, strut brace removed and BOV hoses removed. OEM BOV left bolted to TMIC. TMIC mount bolts removed:

Secondary_out_001.jpg

Then remove BBOD vac port stay/clamp and pull the top vac port from BBOD. Then loosen TB/TMIC hose clamps. Then pull hose 21 from at the fire wall:

Secondary_out_002.jpg

Then undo both primary and secondary turbo-TMIC intake pipe clamps, then remove the passenger TMIC mount arm bolted to the inlet manifold:

Secondary_out_003.jpg

Secondary turbo-TMIC intake pipe clamp:

Secondary_out_005.jpg

Now the TMIC is loose and can be lifted out. I lift the passenger side up first being careful with vac hoses:

Secondary_out_006.jpg

TMIC removed with all vac hoses still attached:

Secondary_out_007.jpg

Pull hose 8 at the secondary relief valve, then loosen the lower relief valve clamps and withdraw the valve. Then remove upper heat shield bolts:

Secondary_out_012.jpg

Secondary relief valve removed with hose 22 still attached:

Secondary_out_013.jpg

Heat shields removed, then remove the TMIC drivers side mount bracket and turbo water feed hose:

Secondary_out_016.jpg

Secondary_out_017.jpg

Then remove the oil feed and water feed banjo bolts, be careful not to loose the small copper washers. Then unbolt the down pipe from turbo:

Secondary_out_020.jpg

The down pipe can now be removed from under vehicle:

Secondary_out_024.jpg

Down pipe removed, showing mount points:

Secondary_out_026.jpg

Now unbolt the secondary turbo, oil and water feeds removed:

Secondary_out_025.jpg

2 secondary mounting bolts hiding under down pipe. Remove the ECV actuator rod circlip:

Secondary_out_027.jpg

Remove the sneaky 10mm bolt holding turbo oil feed line to ECV actuator:

Secondary_out_029.jpg

Pull port 2 from the BBOD, then the ECV actuator can be removed:

Secondary_out_030.jpg

ECV actuator out, with all vac hoses still attached:

Secondary_out_031.jpg

Then remove the turbo oil return pipe clamp, then loosen the main turbo inlet clamp:

Secondary_out_032.jpg

The secondary turbo can now be removed:

Secondary_out_033.jpg

One very well lubricated 214,000km VF27:

Secondary_out_036.jpg

Second hand 90,000km replacement checked and cleaned:

My_VF27_004.jpgMy_VF27_001.jpgMy_VF27_002.jpg

Gasket faces cleaned up, I've re-routed my block breather to the new oil catch can:

Secondary_out_045.jpg

New secondary installed, ECV actuator back in (circlip). Oil and coolant lines re-connected (new copper washers).

Secondary_s_In_001.jpg

Down pipe reinstalled, heat shield bracket and TMIC mount bracket back on:

Secondary_s_In_002.jpg

While my TMIC was off I re-located my GFB atomic bleed valve, next to the redundant Hdi EBC solenoid:

Secondary_s_In_004.jpg

Heat shields back on, TMIC ready to go back in (be patient reinstalling):

Secondary_s_In_005.jpg

TMIC back in, hose 21 reconnected at the firewall and BOV hoses reconnected:

Secondary_s_In_006.jpg

Secondary relief valve back in, hose 8 reconnected and strut brace back on:

Secondary_s_In_007.jpg

Coolant replaced, all done.

Because my secondary has been leaking oil into my intake/engine I'll be running 2 full tanks of injector cleaner and will put a can of Subaru Upper Cylinder Cleaner through asap.

• Like 1

• Admin

Not much point running injector cleaner, it won\'t have somehow worked its way backwards through the pintles.

But yeah, a can of upper engine cleaner is always good. Particularly if you\'ve never run one, the amount of s*** that comes out is pretty spectacular.

And great writeup, by the way.

boon said:

Not much point running injector cleaner, it won\'t have somehow worked its way backwards through the pintles.

But yeah, a can of upper engine cleaner is always good. Particularly if you\'ve never run one, the amount of s*** that comes out is pretty spectacular.

Sweet, cheers Boon.

• 1 month later...

I just did this for a quick fix suspecting a poked secondary as it was making a disgusting rattle under load. Sound was coming from secondary turbo location. Removed turbo found it to be in sweet as condition, no play, no oil spilled out, no chipped or bent fins, spins freely as. Though when I did remove it there was a decent amount of moisture in the uppipe by the wastegate flapper. Is it possible the rattle I was hearing was something to do with the flapper?

Also I\'m getting a decent amount of oil blow back from crank breather...found the clips to be very slogged out and not doing their job (obviously) is there a reason to the amount of blow back or would 2 new clamps fix it? It has fair bit of oil in the intake pipe also.

STUCK

STiNGR said:

I just did this for a quick fix suspecting a poked secondary as it was making a disgusting rattle under load. Sound was coming from secondary turbo location. Removed turbo found it to be in sweet as condition, no play, no oil spilled out, no chipped or bent fins, spins freely as. Though when I did remove it there was a decent amount of moisture in the uppipe by the wastegate flapper. Is it possible the rattle I was hearing was something to do with the flapper?

Also I\'m getting a decent amount of oil blow back from crank breather...found the clips to be very slogged out and not doing their job (obviously) is there a reason to the amount of blow back or would 2 new clamps fix it? It has fair bit of oil in the intake pipe also.

For the rattle, check your Exhaust Manifold Heat Shield Bolts. I\'ve had a couple rust out and the Shields rattle.

The "Secondary Flapper" is your ECV-Exhaust Control Valve. It opens slightly during Primary Turbo Operation and during Deceleration, so will get a bit of Blow By Residue. But it will burn off next time you open the Secondary up.

Your ECV shouldn\'t rattle, should be tight shut. You can test if it\'s shut by grabbing the ECV Actuator Rod with pliers and pulling the Rod upwards. It should only go down, opening the ECV. If it can pull upwards at all your ECV Actuator Rod needs adjusting.

I also had a lot of Blow By Oil in my TMIC/Intake Pipes and oil around my Block Breather. High Kms Turbo Engines are prone for it. Pretty much just Boost Pressure getting past worn Compression Rings into the Block/Crank Case. Oil Catch Cans do help a lot. Or at least give your TMIC and Intake Pipes a good clean out each time they\'re off.

You could check the operation of you PCV Valve under your TB, afaik it should only flow one way. Your Block Breather connects to it just under TB. If it blocked up it could cause excess Blow By Pressure at your Block Breather Fitting/Clamps.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent write up - i'm needed to remove my secondary, spins but not boosting for some reason.

Question - the secondary bolts under the oil line. Do they come out ok from the head/bolt end or is access underneath also required. Looking at my 93 TT either a heat shield or possibly the cross member may be in the way to reach the underside.

Edited by ris2t

Pic/step # 5 above shows the lower turbo heat shield bolts that need to be removed while under the car.

Pic/step #16 shows all heat shields removed to unbolt the downpipe from the turbo.

Pic/step #20 shows the DP removed to undo the turbo bolts from above.

Only the 14mm uppipe support bracket bolts have a nut on the bottom. That can be accessed with a spanner from above the car, once the heat shields and downpipe have been removed completely:

turbo_008.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure I need to replace my secondary which I still need to source a replacement for. Anyone out there got a secondary for sale? First turbo car so if anyone can give me a hand replacing theres a box or bottle in it for ya :)