Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WRX STI stock bhp or KW v7,8,9 etc

Hi guys, Ive been searching for an Sti for a wee while now & have come across so many varying reviews as far as output is concerned.

From what I can gather we get the Jdm ones which are 206kw? but lots of sites say the v8 & v9 are rated at 300bhp not 280?. On trademe

the v11 Sti is rated at 221kw but v10 is 206kw even though they both have the same 2.5l engine?.

The expired JDM gentlemens\' agreement pegged power output to 206kW = 276bhp = 280PS.

The 300bhp/PS bandied around on the interwebs is largely a combination of translational error and wishful thinking perpetuated ad infinitum.

A UK Subaru website used to run a table of dyno figures and guess what ?

The quoted factory output was usually accurate, even the 22B was within close to quoted output.

Forget about about what you read.

This is a basic guide to keep things simple.

IF you buy an STI in NZ and take it to the dyno at somewhere middle of the road like STM (middle of the road in terms of readings on the dyno) it will show between 170-190 kw atw in totally stock form. This is for the v8 onwards 2.0 to 2.5 models right through to the current models.

That is all.

ALL of them will show around 200-210kw atw with a remapped ecu and a catback exhaust.

All of the V8 to current models should run a mid 13 stock and a flat 13 or high 12 with remapped ecu and exhaust mod.

If you plan on keeping it stockish some people prefer the 2.5 ltr for its greater low down torque.

If you plan on bolting on a bigger turbo (without doing a full on forged engine rebuild) then you should probably use the 2.0ltr because it seems to cope with more power pushed through the stock internals than the 2.5.

So what I am saying is do not buy the current model over say a tidy v8 because the add says it has an extra 20kw. In the real world with realworld non-race driver skills they will both be very even. Honestly between the V8- current models I would tell someone just to buy the car they like the most in look and feel etc because they are so damn near each other in specs and real world performance.

• Like 1

hijacka said:

I thought the variance in power was because when New they are rated on 100 octane fuel.

That could have something to do with it too, but as I said above, once you get them to NZ V8 + sti\'s all tend to dyno at around 170-190kw atw in stock form on our petrol. (98)

Weird thing is that its not as simple as the later models make more power and the v8/9\'s make less. I have seen a totally stock v8 dyno at 188kw atw and a 2.5 v10 only put out 175 on the same dyno day. Go figure.