Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

CEL code 65 and 66

tydon

Definitely get hold of one if you can, to see what's going on. Check your Primary waste gate hose and make sure the restrictor pill is in there. Give the primary boost solenoid a clean out.

Could find an air compressor and block your intake (after AFM), then put 12psi into the manifold to look for boost leaks.

Could block your BOV recirc hose off completely and see if it helps, BOV might be leaking.

If your IACV hose #1 was blocked off (IACV open) and the secondary relief valve blocked off completely. The ECV must have also been locked open somehow?

With the engine off, grab your ECV actuator rod with some pliers. Pushing down will open the ECV, pulling up will close it. You will here it slap shut, should be completely shut when the engine is off. The actuator rod might have been adjusted to stay open.

Skatieguy said:
Sounds to me like it slaps shut, checked the primary wastegate hose and did not see/feel/etc. anything inside the hose. No wire nearby but I could push a cabletie the majority of the way.

There should be a 0.8 restrictor pill in there, where the paint dot is:

restrictor_paint_dot_001.jpg

Rosssub said:
If your IACV hose #1 was blocked off (IACV open) and the secondary relief valve blocked off completely. The ECV must have also been locked open somehow?

This might sound silly but thinking back and reading all this now I think what may have been holding the ECV open came off on the way home (before my first CEL) and then after opening it up again I was hit with it. Might put it back to parallel and try sort that out, at least until I can figure out what's wrong with it in sequential mode.

So I just put it back into parallel (somewhat properly) and didn't get any CELs ;D I will know for certain if its solved (for now) when I go for a bigger drive later on this arvo. From what I can see they didn't put the hose from the top of the ECV into hose 22, I'm not sure what else but that's all I changed from how they had it, and I now have no CELs.

EDIT: It also feels like I have more power down low which I'm sure isn't supposed to happen?

Skatieguy said:
So I just put it back into parallel (somewhat properly) and didn't get any CELs ;D I will know for certain if its solved (for now) when I go for a bigger drive later on this arvo. From what I can see they didn't put the hose from the top of the ECV into hose 22, I'm not sure what else but that's all I changed from how they had it, and I now have no CELs.

EDIT: It also feels like I have more power down low which I'm sure isn't supposed to happen?

Sorted ish, but sounds like an interesting set up?

22 - goes from above the secondary relief valve, to the differential pressure sensor.

21 - goes from TMIC to the differential pressure sensor. (sensor is labelled both sides 21 & 22)

5 - to top of ECV actuator.

6 - to bottom of ECV actuator.

8 - to secondary relief valve.

1 - IACV

2 - TMIC to BBOD (boost feed for ECV, 0.8mm pill inside BBOD)

23 - Primary boost solenoid (0.8mm pill at turbo outlet)

10 - Recirc/Bleed from boost solenoid and ECV solenoid)

12 - Vac feed for BBOD/Vac tank (one way valve inside BBOD)

11 - MAP sensor

I just followed the "Idiots guide to converting your legacy to parallel" here: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?32559-Idiots-guide-to-converting-your-legacy-to-parallel I mentioned earlier I was going to try it, (hose from top of ECV into 22, except it was hose 5 not 8.) but have only just got around to it now. So I have it set-up like that now minus the ECV rod being wired down.

Skatieguy said:
I just followed the "Idiots guide to converting your legacy to parallel" here: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?32559-Idiots-guide-to-converting-your-legacy-to-parallel I mentioned earlier I was going to try it, (hose from top of ECV into 22, except it was hose 5 not 8.) but have only just got around to it now. So I have it set-up like that now minus the ECV rod being wired down.

The ECV needs to be locked open for parallel to work properly.

I'm work in rotorua for the next week, if you want me to have a look then let me know

Can probably figure out whats been monkeyed with in a couple mins rather than fcking about trying to describe things by text

Marky said:
I'm work in rotorua for the next week, if you want me to have a look then let me know

Can probably figure out whats been monkeyed with in a couple mins rather than fcking about trying to describe things by text

I have something on on Tuesday in Rotorua, I'm sure I could shout you a box of your choice for your time. :)

• 2 months later...

Did you end up finding the problem?

Had something similar with my 95 Bspec Legacy, some days would go ok and others was way down on power. When playing up boost was very slow to build to max of 7 psi at redline even if wastegate hoses were off. Tried substituting everything poss could incl both turbos with no luck. Replaced engine after a "friend" ran a big end bearing and has been completely different car since. Far more power than had ever had in 5 yrs since I'd bought as a fresh import. Never found definite problem but ECV would be top suspect.

• 2 weeks later...

When I run my96 BG5 TT in diagnostic mode. The secondary turbos ecv rod does not move.

I have read through here and pushed it down, it slowly pushes back up and 'snaps' back into position.

I have had my engine out and rebuilt. It has been sitting for about 15months. Car runs fine but absolutely zero boost. I have a boost gauge.

I have cel 66 (and 21 which I believe is a coolant sensor.)

My car was put back together by people who have no idea about the TT system (I'm in Aus), so I'm obviously worried lines etc haven't been out back correctly.

Any ideas?

Okay, so 10 & 12 were in the wrong order on the manifold end. And the ecv or iav both didn't move.

I swapped those to their right spot. Went for a drive, iav and ecv both began working in diagnostic mode. But I'm still having the cut out at about 3k revs and boost was about 2/3 psi.

So at the moment.

ECV is working

IAV is working

1 is correct

2 is correct

3 is correct

4 doesn't exist

5 is correct

6 is correct

7 doesn't exist

8 is correct

9 doesn't exist

10 is correct order onto manifold

11 is correct order onto manifold

12 is correct order onto manifold

21 is correct

22 is correct

23 is correct

However, 10, 11, 12, is where the B4 diagram differs from the gen2 (BG5) TT.

12 has a T piece that runs through an air filter into the firewall. This line into firewall is numbered, but looks correct?

Both 11 & 12 are on the correct pipes across the top of the manifold.

10 travels across the top of the manifold and drops into the air intake before the primary turbo, and Ts off into the guard. But my 10 looks like the hose \10\ diagram.

I also have an extra pipe which comes from the passenger side off the manifold which has no home/ doesn exist on your B4 diagram.

This is a BG5 TT.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/hansvonaxion/media/Legacy/earthingfinal4.jpg.html?src=wap

Edited by Bumpty

The T from hose #12 going into firewall will be connected to your boost gauge.

I would try pulling the hose off the primary turbo waste gate actuator (passenger side), then go for a drive. If the primary turbo is working ok, it should free boost (waste gate shut). So watch the boost gauge and be ready to back off the gas, once boost rises.

Is the extra pipe off passenger side blocked off? Or can you load a pic of it?

Bumpty said:
Okay, so foot flat to the floor it reached 4psi and cutout at 4k revs and then the check engine light began flashing and it went back to 2/3psi boost and cutting out at around 3k revs.

Sounds like it might have a big boost leak somewhere, maybe BOV. Any splits in the intake pipe? Could try blocking the BOV hose, between TMIC and BOV.

Maybe a split pipe between primary turbo and TMIC?

Edited by Rosssub