Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V1 STi ECU (SA)

i have bought what is supposed to be a v1 sti sa ecu for my v2 wrx but i cannot find any photos on the net to show what the inside should look like cos as far as i know it could just be a wrx ecu with a sa shell on it.

the blue sticker on the yellow plugs reads RZ0 000 (seems untampred too) which seems to look correct from the images i have been able to see on the net but there is no chip with sti wrote on it.. some stuff on the net says there is no chip and others say there should be a chip, i dont know who is right and there isnt much info i can get on this topic can anyone please help?

i can upload an image if that helps?

this is important for me before i install the ecu as i need to know what boost level to set my mbc to as my boost solonoid gave up on me last year.

so i need to know...

is it a genuine SA ECU (if not which one is it)

if it is the real mccoy should the boost be set to 14.9psi like i have researched?

thankyou for any help

do you mean RA or SA ?

what ever SA is .

i didnt think there was sti ra in v 1

and hell no the sti ecu doesnt have sti written in the chips inside it .

only ecu you see with stuff written on chips is back yard postage tuned daughter boards

Lachlan I mean a version 1 WRX STi ECU which has SA wrote on the case (in pink) not a version 1 WRX STi RA. cheers for setting me straight that there is no chip inside.

cheers for reply & cheers BC5RA for your input and thanks for post timmah

so I can go ahead and install this thing with the TD05 and be sure it is a SA ECU?

shall I upload a photo of the insides to you guys so you know for sure?

thanks for your help guys

gravelexpress said:

Lachlan I mean a version 1 WRX STi ECU which has SA wrote on the case (in pink) not a version 1 WRX STi RA. cheers for setting me straight that there is no chip inside.

cheers for reply & cheers BC5RA for your input and thanks for post timmah

so I can go ahead and install this thing with the TD05 and be sure it is a SA ECU?

shall I upload a photo of the insides to you guys so you know for sure?

thanks for your help guys

Is your V2 WRX still the GF8 Gravel Express? If it is, I would be more inclined to say no as your engine will most likely have a different compression ratio and not be as strong as the STi equivalent. I could be completely wrong though as I\'m not really clued up on the early WRX stuff.

Just be aware the STI Ecu and bigger turbo (I\'m sure the GF:8 will have a TD04) will be more aggressive tune wise.

Could be a great idea to replace that fuel pump if it\'s old or of unknown Km and check that the knock sensor is working..

Also the AFM might be different and the boost solenoid.

there is some confusion around the early impreza models

my understanding is the the Impreza Model A WRX RA was required for rally homogulation and is sometimes referred to as an STI. then the actual STI version became available.

with these early models, the base WRX was transferred to the STI shop to be modified. this ceased during the 2nd phase of Model C production where all Impreza shared the same production line. this is the actual \'version 2\'

so, TL;DR you would expect the early STI and RA ecu\'s ( SA SB SC ) to be chipped from factory.

some pics i found online. the eprom chip has been soldered onto the board, with a sticker. the program in the chip replaces the original program on the board. ignore the red square. how do these pics compare with your ecu?

sa%20case.JPG

sa%20board.jpg

also, you\'ll probably find that the SA ecu is plug and play with your v2 car. green afm and grey injectors are required.

[/img]thankyou so much for your information guys!

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ronnieroosta/media/DSC00124_zps088a5edf.jpg.html

yes its still the green 96\' v2 GF8 wrx

as far as I am aware the v1 WRX and v1 STi had little to no difference engine wise and that it was the ECU which made it go harder (am I correct?) so with that in mind I decided that it would be okay to run a TD05 and v1 STi ECU (just so happens that I come across the most aggressive ECU).

I have some supporting mods such as a 2.5" free flow turbo back exhaust, mechanical mbc and I decided on just a free flow panel filter (HKS) as I was told that unless im tuning the car loads it would be a waste of time installing a pod filter and allot of warm engine air unless its devised to suck air from the outside.

thanks for letting me know about the fuel pump I will get onto buying a new one in the next week or so.

yes I have a green AFM and the stock 380 injectors.

okay so that picture you posted.... mine looks different, the big difference is that I have no chip in the upper left corner of that photo with the numbers F54P etc etc but the SA outer case sticker is the same but no blue dot (not that the case matters much) and the blue 000 RZ0 sticker on the yellow female 4 plug is the same (looks untampred too).

so would I be right to start thinking that this is a different ECU if there isn\'t that chip on the board?

it doesn\'t look like there is evidence that there ever was a chip there just the solder blobs for a chip to be soldered in.

I will upload a photo of mine shortly so you can see what I mean.

it doesn\'t bother me if it isn\'t the SA type ECU but i would like to know which ECU it is so that when its installed i know what boost to set on the mbc.

thank you so much for your time & help guys i\'m really grateful!

okay so i just done some researching on the net.. i found on another forum that some guy pulled out his v1 sti ecu (which is an SA) and his looks exactly like mine with an empty space in the corner for a chip. his case has no blue dot sticker on it either so i\'m starting to think that these ecu\'s were not factory chipped and that those that are chipped were done aftermarket.

DSC00124_zps088a5edf.jpg

well thats cool. those two units are only 8 serial numbers apart.

also check the firmware sticker. they are the same number. i\'m going to suggest they are both running the same tune, one with the external eprom, and yours burnt into the processor memory.

also note the ecu with the firmware chip already had a sticker under the SA sticker. so i assume its a recycled new unit from JECS

maybe that was the cross-over point at the JECS factory? seems that on a limited production run for this model the JECS factory just worked with what they had

cheers for your thoughts, I plan to get the TD05 in the car in a couple of weeks, when the turbo goes in i can plug in this ecu and run 14.5psi now that I am fairly satisfied that it isn\'t missing anything and should be good to use.

cheers for uploading the image for me bugeyesti ;D