Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BH5B TT Intake Manifold stripped. Compared to V6 STI....

Rosssub

I stripped my TT Intake Manifold down last night.

Getting it ready as a \'starter\' Manifold for my Conversion. Thought I\'d take some pics for comparing possible capabilities of this, to the V6 STI Manifold etc.

Underside of TT Manifold:

Manifold_strip_001.jpg

Fuel Rails, Injectors and lower Fuel Pipes removed:

Manifold_strip_002.jpg

Top Hard Lines removed, (Upper Fuel Pipe/Vac Lines/Head Breather Pipe)

Manifold_strip_003.jpg

Under side:

Manifold_strip_011.jpg

The TB is 60mm I/D

Manifold_strip_008.jpg

Opening behind TB is 61mm. Could be cut to 70mm easy.

Manifold_strip_009.jpg

More than enough meat to do some Porting/Polishing:

Manifold_strip_006.jpg

This shows the amount of Port Matching that can be done:

Manifold_Ready_002.jpg

Quite a few random edges inside the Plenum:

Manifold_strip_013.jpg

Smallest I/D through the runners is 40mm Wide X 50 high. Almost 2" I/D:

Manifold_strip_014.jpg

BH5B Intake Manifold ready for Single Turbo Conversion. ;D

Manifold_Ready_001.jpg

After comparing Intake Manifolds for a week, looking at Runner I/D, Plenum Size, Throttle Body I/D, Port Size, Runner heights, Overall Design and performance.

The V5/6 STI Red Intake Manifold is Identical to my BH5B Twin Turbo Manifold.

The only difference being obviously the colour, then the lack of Drivers Side TMIC Bracket Mount Bolt Holes on the TT Manifold.

Plenum/Runners/Ports/60mmTB/Injectors/Fuel Rails, all Identical.

Version 5/6 STI Manifold for comparison:

V5_STI_Intake_Manifold.jpg

6740733823_62ce762139_b.jpg

6740757583_15c95f9fd9_b.jpg

$_12.JPG

Version 5/6 STI Manifold, Painted V7 STI Red:

Busy24.jpg

BH5B TT:

BH5_B_TT_Manifold_rear_001.jpg

This is the Nasioc Intake Manifold Flow Database, comparing Manifold Flow Capabilities:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229576

This is a Brilliant Write Up, on Painting an Intake Manifold. From the Toronto Subaru Club:

https://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/technical-diy-write-ups-faq/137580-diy-intake-manifold-repaint-others.html

;D

Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo said:

some of the bh\'s got an even length manifold, thats the good one

Rev D - Phase 3 Engine - Have Even Length/Tuned Intake Manifold, Pink Injectors, different Cams, different Cam Pulleys and different Timing Marks. (Timing Belt p/n change)

Rev C, Compression changes from 8.5:1 up to 9.0:1. (HG p/n change)

I wasn\'t going to share that information "just yet". In case one popped up for sale. ;)

But my plans are beyond it\'s capabilities already. 8)

Edit: 1000th post. :)

Rosssub said:

Rev D - Phase 3 Engine - Have Even Length/Tuned Intake Manifold, Pink Injectors, different Cams, different Cam Pulleys and different Timing Marks. (Timing Belt p/n change)

Remember someone on here saying to me that there is no such a thing as "phase 3", they did not elaborate however...

sobanoodle']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

/quote]

Remember someone on here saying to me that there is no such a thing as "phase 3", they did not elaborate however...

Phase 3 is Version 7. ;)

Rosssub']

[quote name='Rosssub said:

/quote]

Phase 3 is Version 7. ;)

I am not arguing ;)

Rosssub']

[quote name='Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo said:

/quote]

I wasn\'t going to share that information "just yet". In case one popped up for sale. ;)

Some revC came with equal legnth and yellow side feeds, I had this one. I did single turbo then swapped to v7 and top feeds but made an adapter to fit throttle body

Trends Car Audio & Alarms - Mattapo']

/quote]

Some revC came with equal legnth and yellow side feeds, I had this one. I did single turbo then swapped to v7 and top feeds but made an adapter to fit throttle body

I have 2000 Rev\'B OEM yellow\'s, so maybe this is the Tuned Manifold. Makes sense being the same as the STI. Maybe spare parts at the end of the V6 STI?

Anyone have a Rev\'A to compare?

Rosssub']

/quote]

I have 2000 Rev\'B OEM yellow\'s, so maybe this is the Tuned Manifold. Makes sense being the same as the STI.

Anyone have a Rev\'A to compare?

This is the Nasioc Intake Manifold Flow Database, comparing Flow Capabilities:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229576

This is a Brilliant Write Up, on Painting an Intake Manifold. From the Toronto Subaru Club:

https://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/technical-diy-write-ups-faq/137580-diy-intake-manifold-repaint-others.html

• 1 month later...

This is my new version 7 STI manifold above my original BH TT/V5-6 STI manifold:

V6_V7_001.jpg

Here you can see the difference in side feed and top feed fuel rails, also notice the different location of the FPR and FPR vac feed:

V6_V7_002.jpg

Intake gasket faces side by side. This STI manifold has TGV (tumble generator valve) OEM delete spacers fitted.

V6_V7_004.jpg

This is a Gizzmo phenolic spacer gasket on my original BH5B TT Manifold:

gasket_on_002.jpg

The same gasket on the version 7 STI manifold:

gasket_on_001.jpg

TB side by side, identical O/D of 70.2mm:

V6_V7_005.jpg

Both TB\'s removed, showing the IACV port just above the throttle opening. This is where Idle Air bypasses the closed throttle plate at idle. Airflow controlled by the IACV (idle air control valve). Both manifold throttle openings have an I/D of 61.1mm:

V6_V7_006.jpg

The version 7 TB above my original version 5/6/TT:

V6_V7_010.jpg

Both TB\'s have a 60mm diameter throttle plate, version 7 on top:

V6_V7_007.jpg

Here\'s my BH TT TB on the new version 7 STI manifold. Also the version 7 STI TB on my original manifold:

V6_V7_011.jpg

I have a GDA-Version 8 WRX manifold here too, with complete TGV and baby blue 440cc top feed injectors. About to take some pics now. ;D

GDB/GDA:

GDA_GDB_001.jpg

GDA_GDB_002.jpg

GDA_GDB_003.jpg

GDA_GDB_004.jpg

GDA_GDB_005.jpg

TGV and baby blues removed:

GDA_GDB_006.jpg

Holding the TGV open, these valves direct air flow over the injector when the engine is cold. This improves cold engine fuel atomization, giving a cleaner burn and lower emissions.

GDA_GDB_008.jpg

During normal operating temps they do nothing but get in the way.

TGV removal how to:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663677

GDB/GDA:

GDA_GDB_002.jpg

GDA cleaned and masked ready for primer:

Painting_GDA_Manifold_STI_Red_001.jpg

Primed/Sealed ready for top coats:

Painting_GDA_Manifold_STI_Red_002.jpg

I\'ve warmed the manifold up to about 20\'c on an oil heater, then applied 3 thick coats in different directions. Waiting at least 5 minutes between coats, the thicker the paint the more it wrinkles:

Painting_GDA_Manifold_STI_Red_006.jpg

I waited another 5 minutes after the last coat, then hit it with a heat gun on high. Getting just close enough to not burn the masking tape. It takes about 5 minutes drying before it starts to wrinkle:

Painting_GDA_Manifold_STI_Red_007.jpg

Masking tape removed:

Painting_GDA_Manifold_STI_Red_008.jpg

GDA-WRX/GDB-STI:

GDA_manifold_paint_004.jpg

GDA_manifold_paint_003.jpg

GDA_manifold_paint_002.jpg

;D

• 1 month later...

BE/BH rev C equal length manifold, yellow side feed injectors and V5/6 TB:

a26a6d4f2e.jpg

BE/BH rev D/E equal length manifold, running the version 7 throttle body and pink top feed injectors:

img_7750.jpg

Edited by Rosssub

• 4 months later...

Hey Ross, I have a Rev-D and at the stage of trying to nut out all the parts ill need for going single turbo.. from what I've read above my Rev-D intake manifold should be ace for going s/t and no need to look at getting a v6-v7 intake manifold because it is already effectively a v7 one anyway..?

A_J_T said:
Hey Ross, I have a Rev-D and at the stage of trying to nut out all the parts ill need for going single turbo.. from what I've read above my Rev-D intake manifold should be ace for going s/t and no need to look at getting a v6-v7 intake manifold because it is already effectively a v7 one anyway..?

Exciting times.

Rosssub said:
Won't be so straight forward on a rev D. Your pink top feeds/throttle body and 5 plug ECU match the version 7 STI. But your compression ratio is 9.5:1, where the V7 STI CR is 8.0:1.

But if he does a single conversion using a v7 STi ECU it is re-mapable so it could be tuned to suit that engine, with the right knowhow no?

Rosssub said:
Won't be so straight forward on a rev D. Your pink top feeds/throttle body and 5 plug ECU match the version 7 STI. But your compression ratio is 9.5:1, where the V7 STI CR is 8.0:1.

Yea, this was my next concert actually... and one that im stuck on. does this mean id be looking at a a aftermarket ECU like a link rather than a generic OEM STI ECU?

A_J_T said:
Yea, this was my next concert actually... and one that im stuck on. does this mean id be looking at a a aftermarket ECU like a link rather than a generic OEM STI ECU?

Find out how tunable the v7 STi ECU is and if it can be remapped for different CR's if it can; I'd say start studying the differences in v7 ECU plugs to rev d plugs

• 3 months later...
 B4 I was 250T said:
Me again Ross. So I have a BE Rev B. What manifold should I be trying to get for conversion then? Rev C? V7?

Nice. :) Yeah as 94 Leone said just use your original, same casting/injectors/TB/wiring as the V5/6 WRX/STI. So a straight fit really, all the ugly water pipes and vac lines can come off. Also all of the TMIC mounts are perfect for your current TMIC.

This is my original BH5B manifold, with the water pipes removed and hard vac lines modified:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?43004-Rosssub-s-Single-Turbo-Conversion

Original_manifold_painted_001.jpg

Edited by Rosssub

• 10 months later...