Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

kwi_fozze said:
Am i being a little noobish? Have got my ecu image "merp modded" and have it open in ecuflash. Theres a tick box for "speed density mode", and its set to maf sensor. I'm totally cabbaging, but am i right in assuming that this disables the speed density side of the tune and uses the standard maf sensor tables?

Really dont want to have to go through the nightmare of building ve tables and sd blend tables...

Yes it will stay in Maf mode only.

evowrx said:
How have you been finding those kinugawa turbos dude?

I had no issues with them. For the money I found them good value especially compared to the AVO/Garret turbos I have used in the past.

On my ADM 07 sti I had the TD06sl2-20g then changed to a TD06H-60-1.

I used the TD05-20g T/S on my V8 sti. If I was to get another one I would probably get one with the billet comp wheel.

There’s a company in the US called Steamspeed that have a few that look ok.

evowrx said:
Yea those stx 71 jobs look good but money is up there with those. Would like to see one on an nz dyno.

I was looking at those and they did look good but the only results i was able to find were in the USA and on the NASIOC forums. Also the cost is up there with the "known" brands once converted from US dollars to NZD + shipping

+1 on seeing results on a nz dyno too.

What i find annoying is that effectively there is the same cost involved in production of the turbine wheel as the 12b but like anything you pay more because it works better. Hopefully once initial production costs are covered they will come down in price. Running good gas means you can use smaller ex housings which is all win.

• Admin

Does anyone know how hard it would be to run a different ECU in different cars. Now the reason I'm asking this is because V5 - V6 STi's use the same engine (for the most part) as the V7 STi's. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to run a V7 STi ECU with some modification to the tune etc.

• Admin
 Dairusire said:
Does anyone know how hard it would be to run a different ECU in different cars. Now the reason I'm asking this is because V5 - V6 STi's use the same engine (for the most part) as the V7 STi's. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to run a V7 STi ECU with some modification to the tune etc.

TBH by the time you went through with the hassle I'd just get a cheap-ish ECU like a Link G3 with G4 firmware and run that.

EDIT: Or a G4+ Atom. They're insanely cheap now - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/electronics/auction-873215122.htm

Dairusire said:

Not all that similar bar running the same engine code.

The v5/6 coversion to late v7- reflashable has been covered a few times. Better off using non sti non avcs ecu and swapping cam and crank trigger wheels over. Will need a tune tho and may as well reloom and run the v7 mani/injectors to make things easy. The lads in states were working on setting up triggers for the v7 to read early a couple of years ago but i havent kept track. Mattapo had more of a clue.

• Admin
 boon said:
Ahh. Didn't know that. Erp.

I woulda stuck with it :P

Yeah that was a good year and a bit ago now haha. I didn't know I'd want the ECU and want a tune :P Turns out I do haha.

I'm also kicking myself about that now lol

Edited by Dairusire

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin
 94 Leone said:
G4 plugins have standard tunes loaded on to them(selectable betweeen STi, or standard wrx ); link recommend pretty much only using that to drive to the tuner.

The WRX/STI bit is selected by moving a pair of jumpers between pins on the board, not the map you load. EDIT: At least on GDs it is...

The PCLink software comes with base maps, they should run the car as long as you don't have aftermarket injectors and I've found you can get the car to run smooth-ish by changing the master fuel scale by an appropriate percentage. I drove my V7 about 20km to get tuned on the base map... but while you're there I'd probably set the rev limit to like 3500rpm and the target boost to 0psi on all cells.

Merpmod flat foot shifting is fantastic, little bit jerky at lower throttle percentages (i pulled my trigger back to 75% throttle to trigger) but during shifting it doesnt really drop below 1 bar unless nana shifting. Still cant build more than .5 bar on launch tho

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
 D1Style said:
I was looking at those and they did look good but the only results i was able to find were in the USA and on the NASIOC forums. Also the cost is up there with the "known" brands once converted from US dollars to NZD + shipping

+1 on seeing results on a nz dyno too.

Same same!

Really don't want to be the guinea pig for either a blouch 1.5xtr or a steam Stx (twin scrolls) in NZ. NASIOC seem to love them but never seen any dynos on a hatch ej207 JDM GrB. It's certainly expensive but compared to a few reputable shops I've talked to usually default to the HKS gt28 for a stock fit turbo upgrade which is like 4k! Which is crazy money for a smallish divided entry turbo. Kinugawas are much cheaper, but I'm willing to spend a wee bit more.. Tricky call! If anyone's heard of a NZ JDM install of either I'd be very interested in seeing the dyno/actual drivability of those U.S. Garret hybrids. I mean either of those (blouch/steam) should be good for around 280wkw without too much hassle right? Or am I being mislead by the USDM 2.5 e85 chaps? Thoughts please!

Nikk10 said:
Same same!

Really don't want to be the guinea pig for either a blouch 1.5xtr or a steam Stx (twin scrolls) in NZ. NASIOC seem to love them but never seen any dynos on a hatch ej207 JDM GrB. It's certainly expensive but compared to a few reputable shops I've talked to usually default to the HKS gt28 for a stock fit turbo upgrade which is like 4k! Which is crazy money for a smallish divided entry turbo. Kinugawas are much cheaper, but I'm willing to spend a wee bit more.. Tricky call! If anyone's heard of a NZ JDM install of either I'd be very interested in seeing the dyno/actual drivability of those U.S. Garret hybrids. I mean either of those (blouch/steam) should be good for around 280wkw without too much hassle right? Or am I being mislead by the USDM 2.5 e85 chaps? Thoughts please!

Are you 2.5?