Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

boon said:
You know, I took my car to Chris Wall, he stuck it on a dyno, and it runs ****ing grouse. It makes more power than I'll ever need on the road (haha yeah I say that now) and despite the fact my injectors are way way too big it gets better than factory economy.

Pay a bit extra, get it done by a guy who actually has the car sitting in front of him, do it once do it right.

Keep in mind that the instant you take your car to a different tuner, you throw the entire tune done by someone else in the bin, essentially.

Just my 2c.

Totally agree with what you are saying. Have to admit I got carried away with all the raving reviews and jumped the gun without conducting my own research (which later own revealed some very interesting reads).

Buy cheap, buy twice.

boon said:
See this just doesn't float my boat. One or 2 updates from a final tune? Why does it take so many goes to get it right? What damage is being done to your engine when you give it a WoT pull to redline 2 updates away from the final tune? Or do you just have to nana it for months at a time while you wait for the guy to finish it?

Tuning a car from _nothing_ takes maybe half a day on a dyno for a competent tuner.

The first file i received was an ECU file from another car which was identical to mine that matt had tuned previously.

The second set of files had three levels of aggressiveness, Tame / Agressive / Somewhere inbetween

I chose the one i liked most and i'm just guessing there might be a final revision.

Logging and monitoring your car while doing pulls helps giving an idea how the engine is running (learning view / monitoring knock and knock correction etc etc). Ive never had a dyno tune done on any of my cars but like you said, it would be faster. For a road car and daily like mine actually driving the car on the road on the usual journeys and logging them might give a bit more insight into the experience the driver is looking for and driving habits the owner might have (My guess)

I wouldn't say either or is a wrong choice, just two different paths i guess.

So guys who do you recommend then for ez30 guys to go for a tune? (Apart from matt)

I was wanting to get more fuel economy on my 05 5eat outback, more power would be a plus for sure

Dtech? Cdm?

Anybody from auckland?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where is the best palce (other than the stock location) to fit a temporary knock sensor? for knock listening. last time I had a dyno run the guy put it on the Intake Manifold, which i'm sure could be improved upon. Is there a decent spot everyone uses on an EJ20? or just anywhere on the block

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey just got a 2007 S-GT, would like to have a nice sounding exhaust love that Subaru Rumble, car is fully stock at the moment.

Been quoted $690 for a catback X-Force system but can anyone else recommend places to go? kind of want to stay away from X-Force had bad experiences in the past with them with horrible sounding exhausts.

It is possible to just take the first joint off and replace with a muffler to get the sound or should i go full catback/turbo back?

• Admin
13 minutes ago, paullmat said:

Hey just got a 2007 S-GT, would like to have a nice sounding exhaust love that Subaru Rumble, car is fully stock at the moment.

Been quoted $690 for a catback X-Force system but can anyone else recommend places to go? kind of want to stay away from X-Force had bad experiences in the past with them with horrible sounding exhausts.

It is possible to just take the first joint off and replace with a muffler to get the sound or should i go full catback/turbo back?

Sorry, but you'll never get the Subaru rumble from a S-GT as they use twinscroll setup, which has equal length headers.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, paullmat said:

Yea that's the thing, i have no idea what to get and there is very little youtube vids with S-GTs and aftermarket exhausts to see what they sound like.

Will keep it stock for now!

Fair enough :) Btw they use the exact same exhaust and turbo setup as a 2L Turbo BP/BL Legacy, so look for videos of those and you'll know.

Hi all,

Picked up a 2005 3.0R Legacy a few months ago, it's started knocking a little at about 2,700-3,000 rpm (only sporadically when accelerating really slowly).

Auckland based, and have taken it to both Subtech and Parnell Motors (Euro guys but have good experiences previously) - both of them have more or less said just deal with it, as it's not popping any codes and there's nothing obviously broken.

I've read that the 3.0R can ping on the stock tune regardless so am now considering my options with am aftermarket tune which will hopefully sort it. Slightly leaning towards an e-tune due to cost and relative convenience, am also tempted by just leaving on a dyno for a couple of hours. Can anyone recommend someone in Auckland, preferably south?

Good news to CHCH based members. SAS has just bought a Dynapack hub dyno. it will take a couple of weeks to get setup but after that i'm hoping to help guys out that want to tune their car. I was going to suggest putting their car on the dyno and teaching/show how to tune and what affects what. There will be more information over the coming days/weeks.

And to ibpenguin, it could be knock but would definitely get it looked at. Dtech and PBMS i have heard good things about and not too far of a drive

• Like 4