Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ask your tuning questions here!

gotasuby

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this but I'm interested in people's opinions and outcomes of tuning an EZ30 ('05 Spec B manual model if it makes any difference?).

I know the GT's get great results as I've done it myself but just wanting to know more on these.

The parentals have hinted at selling theirs and I've always wanted it just don't want to be giving away too much if I was to make the jump.

Any input, muchly appreciated.

What are people using for settings in a Link G4 for launch control? I am currently finding it bogs a bit and almost falls completely off boost, logging shows dropping to 3500rpm. It's fine in the the damp/wet or on road tyres, but on semi slicks it's just bogs a little too much and I don't want to break something. This is in a WRX rally car with a 6 speed (no restrictor, rev limit 7600rpm, TD05-20G and basic supporting mods).

Current settings:

th_IMG_5303_zpsg1wqbalm.jpg

From the brief stuff I have read online (mostly by Andre) it looks like I should switch to ignition cut and maybe add more launch ignition trim. But I am not easily able to test it as having a straight pipe and living in the suburbs it's not so practical to just go out and test launch it... That and I would prefer to not put unnecessary wear and tear on the poor car.

kwi_fozze said:
Totally different car post tune

Agressive, amazing sound, responsive, fast, muuuuuuch better on petrol

Good to know... is that with any supporting mods or just a straight reflash?

And who did you get to do that for you?

tweedo said:
Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this but I'm interested in people's opinions and outcomes of tuning an EZ30 ('05 Spec B manual model if it makes any difference?).

I know the GT's get great results as I've done it myself but just wanting to know more on these.

The parentals have hinted at selling theirs and I've always wanted it just don't want to be giving away too much if I was to make the jump.

Any input, muchly appreciated.

I have the same car and I would say the tune is the single best thing I have done to it. If you are in Auckland I can get a read off the ECU and see what model it is and arrange a generic base tune for you as a trial.

I have an extra 30 to 40kw out of mine post tune. (with headers)

McDoof said:
I have the same car and I would say the tune is the single best thing I have done to it. If you are in Auckland I can get a read off the ECU and see what model it is and arrange a generic base tune for you as a trial.

I have an extra 30 to 40kw out of mine post tune. (with headers)

Unfortunately not in Auckland man, thanks though.

So headers, intake, tune & most likely a set of STI Pinks would set me back how many monies?

These things must sound outstanding with a decent exhaust setup on them!

tweedo said:
Unfortunately not in Auckland man, thanks though.

So headers, intake, tune & most likely a set of STI Pinks would set me back how many monies?

These things must sound outstanding with a decent exhaust setup on them!

The exhaust is a very sensitive thing on these. So yes they can sound amazing, but also very easy to get wrong and it will sound like crapola.

The best combo I have had so far has been Raptor Headers ->Stock Cats-> Custom front piping and front Y Piece ->Stock cat back. I'll be going back to this once I can find a stock mid section from someone.

If you like it a bit louder then it sounded really good with a set of Ultrex mufflers on the back, but was bit too loud for me. These sound about the same as the X-Force mufflers.

Headers cost about $500-$600 delivered from Australia. Just keep an eye on this thread so that you know when they are doing a production run, they normally sell out pretty quickly. http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17262&sid=d74a590c91dc20eb6f8e5116cebdcfb4&start=720

STI Pinks will set you back around $600 delivered from Japan

A tune will cost you $400 and comes with free retunes for life should you make any hardware changes. Which good if you are planning on Headers and exhaust changes. You will need a tactrix dongle and some patience. Get hold of Matt. PM Him from this thread http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16602&sid=d74a590c91dc20eb6f8e5116cebdcfb4&start=885

He is a real pain to get hold of sometimes, but his work is outstanding.

Shot for all the advice McDoof... much appreciated.

You've done a lot of research and tinkering with your own exhaust to get it right I'm guessing?

Anyone had any tuning done to theirs by Dave at Cryotune? He did my current car for me and I was highly impressed by him also.

• Admin

Not a 3.0r but had my first tune done with him. He was pretty damn onto it and quick to respond. Matt/Kido is just as good. Has more of a IT background so can dig out some more advanced features in the ECU most tuners don't bother with.

I had my first tune on the 3.0 done by Dave @ Cryotune. He's not great on the N/A motors. My tune was very peaky. Lots of top end and midrange was flat. The guy that referred me to him has a JDM Legacy GT auto and he is pretty happy with the tune on that. So I imagine he's OK for the turbos. Yes, agreed Matt (Kido) is slow to respond and can be frustrating at times, BUT and this is a big one, I have to say he is hands down the best tuner there is for the H6. And there is something to be said for free retunes when you mod your car. (Even if you have to wait for them) His stock generic tune for my car was better than the Cryotune full custom tune after 9 revisions.

• 5 weeks later...

has anyone done much tuning on early links, G1 possum link's in particular, have been road tuning carefully with a wideband and it's internal knock protection.

but I cannot seem to get the boost control as stable as I'd like, overshoots then settles back. tried adjusting settings but my wastegate duty seems to never go as high as the manual suggests it should?

Thanks for all the previous advice on the H6 guys now for some advice on my BP5 GT-B as I've decided against getting the olds car.

I've realised just how much I would end up spending on it so why not spend a little of that on my own car instead?! 👍

Keen to find out more on Matts tunes and if it would even be worth it, considering I have already had one done by Dave at Cryotune.

Current tune done with a Subtech D/P as the only mod.

What are people's thoughts on this? Would there really be much more to be gained?

• Admin

Matt's a smart cookie but hard to deal with. Many will put up with tunes dragging on for months but at this point i've had enough of it. I'm a fairly patient person but his sporadic replies have really done my head in.

Doesn't help that his assistant/organizer is his wife so there isn't much of a professional feel to the whole business.

Also Dave from Cryotune has just announced he's leaving the e-tune game to focus purely on road/dynotunes so thats another good option no longer available.

What power/torque figures are you putting down currently?

Andy_Mac said:
Matt's a smart cookie but hard to deal with. Many will put up with tunes dragging on for months but at this point i've had enough of it. I'm a fairly patient person but his sporadic replies have really done my head in.

Doesn't help that his assistant/organizer is his wife so there isn't much of a professional feel to the whole business.

Also Dave from Cryotune has just announced he's leaving the e-tune game to focus purely on road/dynotunes so thats another good option no longer available.

Wow... well that's very interesting indeed.

How long have you been trying to get things done with him now?

That was one thing I really liked about Dave, so quick to reply with either a new revision or at least just to keep you in the loop... no such grace with Matt then?

No idea on figures either as I haven't had it on a Dyno since it's been done.

Andy_Mac']Matt's a smart cookie but hard to deal with. Many will put up with tunes dragging on for months but at this point i've had enough of it. I'm a fairly patient person but his sporadic replies have really done my head in.

[quote name='tweedo said:

That was one thing I really liked about Dave, so quick to reply with either a new revision or at least just to keep you in the loop... no such grace with Matt then?

I am in exactly the same situation as Andy_Mac. Kido is pretty quick to get new customers on board and serve them with a basic tune for a starter but then you'll have to wait for ages if you need a revision/changed your set-up, been now waiting for 1.5 months for what hopefully will be my final revision, initial tune was done in late November - early December.

Should've probably just saved up and done a proper tune, once and for all, wouldn't be that much more expensive considering the cost of Tactrix (still a nice piece of kit to have though but a cheap-o ebay cable works just fine for logging).

gotasuby said:
Possum links have terrible boost contro. A boost tap is more stabl.

A boost tap cost more than I paid for this thing... haha.

it overshoots by .1bar then settles back to 1bar where I have it set. Probably just need to tweak it further.

I realise it's a pretty old ecu now. but I'm not too worried, interested in learning and a used G4 to show up....

• Admin
 tweedo said:

Had my first tune done by Cryotune and can confirm its a completely different experience. Dave was tunes every few days, with replies to queries even quicker. Can easily go a month without hearing from Matt, his workload is just too large for what he can provide. Alot of his sparkling reviews are from people who he has done tunes for on dyno's which skews the opinion of his e-tune side

You never do any logs in romraider and then viewed in virtual dyno? 170-180 is the max you'd see before, at the very least, needing a better cooling solution.